Suggestion An acknowledgment of those who have passed on

Remove this Banner Ad

Over the past decade and more many of us have found good friends to discuss footy and other stuff, but unfortunately all things must pass, and so do some of Bigfooty's valuable members.

Guys like Toots Hibbert, Lidge, Didaka and others I guess have passed away

Could we not have something next to their name which symbolizes this?

An RIP? or something of that nature?

I ask this because their names come up when doing many searches, or in the members list area.

Just a thought of further acknowledgment from Bigfooty to those who helped make Bigfooty great.

Don't think we can/would cover all of them. The OP has listed many of the more well-respected posters who have passed on and they're a good place to start. I remember the first time I looked up Lidge - largely before my time but had heard of the legend often - and it was a weird experience reading the words of someone who could no longer post, but who's words and legacy lived on. Thinking back to it, a RIP badge would have been a lovely touch.

A poster once raised the possibility of a MIA badge too. Only applied to people who have a certain amount of posts, and who go missing for a certain amount of time. There are a few of them out there.

Has Toots left us?

Not cool..

Great idea!

We had a poster who went missing and another poster let us all know he had passed.

Good way to show them some respect for their efforts whils on BF.

The RIP badge is now active on the following posters:

1. Lidge
2. Didaka
3. Toots Hibbert

Any nominations, post them in this thread and we'll look at them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok. Chiefly has designed up a badge for this, so I'll nut out some rules of engagement.

Nice idea.

Many thanks to Chief & Grizz & others for making this happen.

Can't believe it's been almost 4 years for Lidge. A truly great poster.

I like this idea, even though as AG said a number of deaths wouldn't be known.

grizzlym said:
A poster once raised the possibility of a MIA badge too. Only applied to people who have a certain amount of posts, and who go missing for a certain amount of time. There are a few of them out there.
Some posters just stop, hard to know if they are still around. One old-school poster who was extremely active and hasn't been around in years was -PerthCrow-, or -PC-. I'm sure there's plenty of others.

Yeah, whatever happened to Mantis?

I also came across a post yesterday by Nick the Pie Man who I highly regarded as a poster, especially for a Pies fan.

I had a read of this thread at the time and wanted to post my thoughts at the time. So here I am now, albeit a bit late.

While it is a perfectly fine idea to add an RIP badge to a poster who has passed on, realistically it's not going to get noticed - you'd either have to search the poster's name or come across one of his/her posts in an increasingly aging thread.

And you can't recognize each poster as he/she passes by naming a board in their honour (as in The Cranium) - there aren't enough boards.

For me the best way is to have a separate board, an honour board if you like, listing those who have passed. You could name it "The Passing Parade" or something similar.

On it you would probably need just need the poster's name (hyperlinked back to their page?), club supported and year passed. Together with general text at the top of the page in relation to all those listed.

BF could come up with a set of criteria which needs to be met for listing people on the page - similar in process to what you were doing with the badges anyway.

You are obviously not going to know and list everyone we have lost, but at least those who we know will have their names there perpetually rather than being buried in threads somewhere.

Last edited:
The recent bump of this thread has brought to my attention that there are RIP badges for those members who have passed away. I personally knew dynamite_kid and I regret to inform everyone that he recently succumbed to injuries sustained in a car accident

That's terrible news. Badge conferred.

I had a read of this thread at the time and wanted to post my thoughts at the time. So here I am now, albeit a bit late.

While it is a perfectly fine idea to add an RIP badge to a poster who has passed on, realistically it's not going to get noticed - you'd either have to search the poster's name or come across one of his/her posts in an increasingly aging thread.

And you can't recognize each poster as he/she passes by naming a board in their honour (as in The Cranium) - there aren't enough boards.

For me the best way is to have a separate board, an honour board if you like, listing those who have passed. You could name it "The Passing Parade" or something similar.

On it you would probably need just need the poster's name (hyperlinked back to their page?), club supported and year passed. Together with general text at the top of the page in relation to all those listed.

BF could come up with a set of criteria which needs to be met for listing people on the page - similar in process to what you were doing with the badges anyway.

You are obviously not going to know and list everyone we have lost, but at least those who we know will have their names there perpetually rather than being buried in threads somewhere.

Chief and I have toyed around with the idea of like a Big footy 'museum of natural history'.

Basically a board with threads of achievements, notables and other stuff that makes up our collective history.

It wouldn't be a board to post on, merely 'our records'.

I'm happy to get something like this moving, but I'd need some help (collective help).

It's a good idea. And thanks for articulating it - can now see how it could work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back