Ween - White Pepper
Ween - Quebec
Ween - Shinola Vol 1
Ween - La Cucaracha

Just the studio albums to begin with.

Ween are my Beatles.

IMG_2237.JPG
Day 16. Reasonable Doubt- Jay Z

Well...this is definitely out of my comfort zone. I have never listened to a full album of rap or hip hop before so this was a first. Obviously I have heard of Jay Z before (who hasn't) but don't know much about him or his music. After a quick search of the internet I read a bit of context and background information about his debut album which gave a deeper understanding of what it was about. I've given this album a listen and I didn't mind it, there were some songs on the album that I dig. His lyrics are quite deep about his street and criminal experiences and tells an interesting story which is a big tick from me. This album has exposed me to a different genre and I might start to listen to more artists of this genre.

My Top 3

1. Dead Presidents II- This song has a great smooth flow to it and a nice piano sample in the background.
  2. D'evils- A really dark song about the evil in the ghetto. The beat matches the mood well also.
  3. Brooklyn's Finest- Jay Z and Biggie Smalls trading bars nice and smoothly with a nice beat in the background.
Gem of the Album

Regrets- A great laid back closing track about how we all have to live with regrets but you've gotta move on from them.

View attachment 391113
Day 14. High Voltage- AC/DC

I am not very knowledgable about AC/DC but I do know that High Voltage was AC/DC's first international album and is a combination of the Australian released albums TNT and High Voltage. I am not a big AC/DC fan and find their stuff a bit repetitive but this album is still quite impressive. From Angus Young's big riffs to Bon Scott's vocals which were dirty but fun at the same time, this album is a staple piece in Australian rock history and was a blueprint to their future success.

My Top 3

1. It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll)- One of the greatest Aussie songs of all time. Bon Scott's vocals are fabulous along with the bagpipes and the music video has to be one of the most iconic.
  2. High Voltage- Another fantastic rock n roll song about the rock n roll lifestyle. I love the bridge section in this song.
  3. TNT- TNT is another iconic straight rock n roll song. It's simplicity is made up for with its rawness and energy.

Gem of the Album

Can I Sit Next To You Girl- A bit lighter than the rest of their songs, this song was their first single in Australia and is about picking up a girl.

View attachment 391428
Day 15. Cap'n Jazz- Analphabetapolothology

I have never heard of Cap'n Jazz before it was suggested and after a brief google of them I found out that they were a post-hardcore band. Post-hardcore isn't really my thing but I've given their compilation album Analphabetapolothology a listen and it isn't as bad as I thought it would be. It wasn't something that I really enjoyed but I could listen through the whole album without thinking I can't to listen to this anymore. I found the lyrics on this album interesting and sometimes confusing and his voice was almost child like. I also found the first side of the album a lot more enjoyable than the second side which I felt sounded weaker, although there were still a few decent songs on this side. Overall, for an album that wasn't really my taste it wasn't too bad and I could listen to it again.

Top 3

1. Oh Messy Life- This song has a very catchy chorus and a more mellow verse compared to some of their other songs which is more my thing.
  2. Little League- A good fun song that has a lot of emotion in it.
  3. Precious- Another one of their more chill songs. It has a very catchy beat to it.

Gem of the Album

Rocky Rococo- This song is the best track from the second side of the album.
stfn.gif

IMG_2239.JPG
Day 17. Whatever and Ever Amen- Ben Folds Five

A great suggestion as this has been a band I've been meaning to listen to for a while now. This album is a follow up to their debut album and was released 20 years ago. My instant thought when I started listening to this album was 'Wow! He's a bloody good piano player.' I've found that this is common opinion with some comparing his playing to Billy Joel or Elton John. This album is an enjoyable album with witty and emotional lyrics and catchy music. I'm definitely going to check out the other three albums by this trio.

My Top 3

1. Selfless, Cold and Composed- A jazz inspired song that has amazing lyrics with a beautiful string section and piano.
  2. Song For the Dumped- You can feel Ben's anger in this song and the volume of the piano fits the mood perfectly.
  3. Brick- The most popular song on the album. The song builds into an emotional bridge before fading until the end.

Gem of the Album

Steven's Last Night In Town- A silly song written about his friend (Grammy award winning producer and manager Stephen Short). It has a nice big band feel to it with the horn section and clarinet.

Last edited:
View attachment 392062
Whatever and Ever Amen- Ben Folds Five

A great suggestion as this has been a band I've been meaning to listen to for a while now. This album is a follow up to their debut album and was released 20 years ago. My instant thought when I started listening to this album was 'Wow! He's a bloody good piano player.' I've found that this is common opinion with some comparing his playing to Billy Joel or Elton John. This album is an enjoyable album with witty and emotional lyrics and catchy music. I'm definitely going to check out the other three albums by this trio.

My Top 3

1. Selfless, Cold and Composed- A jazz inspired song that has amazing lyrics with a beautiful string section and piano.
  2. Song For the Dumped- You can feel Ben's anger in this song and the volume of the piano fits the mood perfectly.
  3. Brick- The most popular song on the album. The song builds into an emotional bridge before fading until the end.

Gem of the Album

Steven's Last Night In Town- A silly song written about his friend (Grammy award winning producer and manager Stephen Short). It has a nice big band feel to it with the horn section and clarinet.

Thanks for checking it out! My favourite album from my favourite band :)

View attachment 392062
Whatever and Ever Amen- Ben Folds Five

My Top 3

Gem of the Album

No love for One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces? That's the standout track for mine, along with Kate. I suspect they will grow on you over time. Awesome album, happy to see you appreciated it.

I also started listening to Whatever and ever recently, how coincidental. I have the 3 pack with Rockin' the Suburbs and Songs for Silverman as well to look forward. I've always like the hit singles, and had the occasional female friend that worshiped him, and recall his Australian connections, but never delved in until now.

Brick was my younger brother's first "favourite" song, and it still sounds majestic. I remember he requested that at a rollerskating rink on his 9th birthday, and the sound guy was like wtf and gently persuading him on the poppier merits of "What's My Age Again" and other songs naturally more befitting to the occasion. My mother and I still lol at the memory.

IMG_2240.JPG
Day 18. Led Zeppelin- Led Zeppelin III

Led Zeppelin III is one of the less popular albums from one of the greatest rock and roll bands of all time. This album is seen as a big change in their music from their previous albums as it is more folky and acoustic. In my opinion, this is one of their weaker albums as I find their heavier songs better but it's good that they weren't afraid to try something new. This album is still a great album but it doesn't quite live up to the lofty expectations that Led Zeppelin set themselves.

My Top 3

1. Since I've Been Loving You- A seven and a half minute song of straight blues and is the clear standout for me.
  2. Immigrant Song- Their most popular song off this album. It is one of the heavier songs on the album and has a mean riff.
  3. Tangerine- A bit more of a country song. I like the false starts at the beginning and the slide guitar is great towards the end of the song.

Gem of the Album

Bron-Y-Aur Stomp- A great folky acoustic song. It has a great earthy feel and Jimmy Page kills it on guitar.

No love for One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces? That's the standout track for mine, along with Kate. I suspect they will grow on you over time. Awesome album, happy to see you appreciated it.
There were too many good songs to choose from that some had to miss out! I'll have to listen to it again to get a better idea on which songs are my favourites.

IMG_2241.JPG
Day 19- Interpol- Turn On The Bright Lights

Interpol are another band that I don't know very well but have been meaning to listen to for a while now. Turn On The Bright Lights was the first full length album from the indie/alt rockers. I enjoyed listening to this album even though I'm not a big indie rock fan. I thought the drumming was fantastic and the songs were pretty consistent with no fillers on the album. In my opinion it was a solid album but I couldn't listen to it to often as I feel I could get a bit sick of it.

My Top 3

1. Obstacle 1- The most popular song on the album. It is one of their heavier songs and feels quite chaotic at times.
  2. Untitled- It is almost an instrumental song before the lead singer comes in an mumbles a few words halfway through.
  3. NYC- A dark ballad on the dark side of New York City. The lyrics are very honest and brutal on the subject.

Gem of the Album

The New- The penultimate track is quite an emotional and depressing song. The guitar solo is strange (in a good way) as the guitar is out of tune.

Wow really interesting thread to read through, loving it a lot.

View attachment 391783
Day 16. Reasonable Doubt- Jay Z

Well...this is definitely out of my comfort zone. I have never listened to a full album of rap or hip hop before so this was a first. Obviously I have heard of Jay Z before (who hasn't) but don't know much about him or his music. After a quick search of the internet I read a bit of context and background information about his debut album which gave a deeper understanding of what it was about. I've given this album a listen and I didn't mind it, there were some songs on the album that I dig. His lyrics are quite deep about his street and criminal experiences and tells an interesting story which is a big tick from me. This album has exposed me to a different genre and I might start to listen to more artists of this genre.

My Top 3

1. Dead Presidents II- This song has a great smooth flow to it and a nice piano sample in the background.
  2. D'evils- A really dark song about the evil in the ghetto. The beat matches the mood well also.
  3. Brooklyn's Finest- Jay Z and Biggie Smalls trading bars nice and smoothly with a nice beat in the background.
Gem of the Album

Regrets- A great laid back closing track about how we all have to live with regrets but you've gotta move on from them.
If any album gets you into hip-hop a Jay-Z one is definitely a good start. Amazing record and he's still going strong.

IMG_2245.JPG
Day 20. Vs- Pearl Jam

Pearl Jam are one of my favourite bands and Vs is definitely up there with some of their best work. Vs was Pearl Jam's second album and had to follow up their debut hit Ten. There were high expectations set on this album and they certainly delivered. It was near impossible to deliver an album better than Ten but Vs was pretty close. Pearl Jam developed and expanded as songwriters and musicians in the two and a half year period between Ten and Vs. Vs feels a lot less raw and more polished than Ten as a result of their development, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Overall, this album is a fantastic follow up to Ten and is a must listen to for any music fan.

My Top 3

1. Rearviewmirror- One of Pearl Jam's greatest songs. You can feel Eddie's anger in his vocals and the instruments back that up perfectly.
  2. Daughter- An iconic Pearl Jam song. Similarly to Rearviewmirror it is about abuse.
  3. Go- A great opening song. It's one of the heavier songs on the album and has some funky drums in their.

Gem of the Album

Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town- A slower song about a woman being stuck in the same town for her whole life. The lyrics are beautiful.

Starky - Starky 2006

Starky_060831012352635_wideweb__300x298.jpg

Not sure how to describe them but closest comparison might be early Faker and Faker at their most fun. Contemporary wise I think Young Lions are similar. JJJ used to have them on good rotation 10 years good. Really really fun power pop with keys and the vocalist has an English edge to him and so does the overall sound. One of my favourite records for sure

My Top 3
  1. We Generate Friction
  2. Is This How It Ends
  3. Hey Bang Bang
Gem of the Album

Me Michelle

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMG_2246.JPG
Day 21. Zooropa- U2

I wouldn't call myself a massive U2 fan but some of their stuff is quite good. Zooropa is an interesting experiment that was originally supposed to be an EP. It includes stuff from electronic dance music to alternate rock. I prefer the classic U2 sound but I always respect artists who experiment and try something new. Sometimes it comes off (Achtung Baby) and other times it doesn't go quite so well (Zooropa). This album is a solid album but was probably to rushed and would've have been better as an EP.

My Top 3

1. Stay (Faraway So Close)- This song feels a bit more like the old U2. It does a good job of building to a climax before Bono sings "stay" for the final time.
  2. Numb- An interesting song that has The Edge mumbling like a rapper over the top of bizarre chords while Bono wails away.
  3. The Wanderer- A quiet and thoughtful song with simple lyrics, it is a good way to finish off an album. This song also features Johnny Cash.

Gem of the Album

Dirty Day- This song sounds like it is about Bono's relationship with his Dad. It's a simple song and feels a bit different to the rest of Zooropa.

Still addicted to Vs and Zooropa at the moment, love them. Been my winter mainstays thus far.

When I heard Glorified G for the first time, I heard Vedder as singing "lo-fi version of a pelican" lol.

My only gripe with Zooropa is the slightly forgettable patch of First Time and Dirty Day. Can understand someone not rating it, it ain't for everyone.

IMG_2247.JPG
Day 22. Good Kid m.A.A.d City- Kendrick Lamar

Another hip-hop album, this time from Kendrick Lamar with his second studio album Good Kid m.A.A.d city. This album is a great story of Kendrick 's childhood growing up in Compton. I'm a growing fan of hip-hop and this album is an enjoyable album with fantastic rhymes and a captivating story. I am definitely getting into hip-hip and it's quite exciting to get into a different genre.

My Top 3

1. Swimming Pools (Drank)- A song about alcohol abuse. T-Minus lays down a nice beat.
  2. m.A.A.d City- A song about growing up in corruption and its results. Kendrick has a soft tone in this song and you can feel a sense of hopelessness.
  3. Bitch, Don't kill my vibe- A song about his different motives and lifestyle compared to other rappers. This song has my favourite lyrics.

Gem of the Album

The Art of Peer Pressure- This song is about his change in character when he's with the boys. This song has a smooth to sinister production.

IMG_2248.JPG
Day 23. Scary Monsters- David Bowie

David Bowie has to be one of the greatest artists of all time. What made him so great was his uniqueness and his multiple personas. I've heard people say that this was his last great album and combined all of the great stuff he did in the 70s with the new pop trends of 1980 including synth-pop and the British new romantic movement which he inspired. This album was indeed great and included so many highlights that it was hard to choose my favourite songs.

My Top 3

1. Ashes To Ashes- This song was one of Bowie's biggest hits. It reintroduces Major Tom, the space man from his first hit Space Oddity.
  2. Fashion- David Bowie jumps into the new romantic genre for this song. This song contains some machine like riffs and funky bass.
  3. It's No Game, pt. 1- An excellent opener with a girl singing in Japanese. Bowie's maniacal bark eventually kicks in sounding like he is trying to find hope but by the end he gives up yelling shut up twice before the song abruptly ends.

Gem of the Album

Teenage Wildlife- This song is a direct attack on pretenders and copycats. The distorted guitar riffs and subtle keyboard sets the scene.

Just out of curiosity, how many times do you listen to each of these albums the day you review them? Just once or a couple of times?
I try to listen to them twice (once in the morning and again in the afternoon) but sometimes I only have the time to listen to it once.

Scary Monsters is indeed excellent, the opening half in particular. Probably my 5th most favoured Bowie after Low, Hunky, Heroes and Lodger. As discussed, it set a standard which his subsequent career arguably failed to match, and whilst overlooked it tends to be a consensus favourite.

I try to listen to them twice (once in the morning and again in the afternoon) but sometimes I only have the time to listen to it once.

Have you discovered anything so far that you have loved enough to listen to again straight away?

Hey and you didn't add the Ween albums to your "listen to" list????

Remove this Banner Ad

Back