Team Mgmt. An early crack at 2017 best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Bombers36

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2008
Keilor East
AFL Club
Essendon
Anyone starting to like the way our 2016 best 22 is starting to take shape?
All of a sudden we have a decent ruckman, some quality young guys coming through and PACE!!!
I'd love to see a team like this in 2016;-

Baguley Hurley Hibberd
Goddard Gwilt Fantasia
Stanton Watson Colyer
Zakka Daniher Z.Merrett
Laverde Hooker McKenna

McKernan Heppell Hocking

Bench from: Myers Langford TBell Gleeson

All of a sudden we have a decent ruckman, some quality young guys coming through and PACE!!!

Baguley Hurley Hibberd
Goddard Gwilt Fantasia
Stanton Watson Colyer
Zakka Daniher Z.Merrett
Laverde Hooker McKenna

McKernan Heppell Hocking

Jesus. The boys haven't even opened their first beer for mad Monday and you're already looking to 2016 :eek:

Baguley Hurley Hibberd
Goddard Gwilt Fantasia
Stanton Watson Colyer
Zakka Daniher Z.Merrett
Laverde Hooker McKenna

McKernan Heppell Hocking

Not bad at all! To soon to list McKenna IMO, I'd rather see Kommer, Edwards or Howlett.

Would love to see Hardingham make his way back to the Seniors one day!

Not bad at all! To soon to list McKenna IMO, I'd rather see Kommer, Edwards or Howlett.

Would love to see Hardingham make his way back to the Seniors one day!

Yep. One day. Nevermind that he is 28 next year.

Baguley Hurley Hibberd
Goddard Gwilt Fantasia
Stanton Watson Colyer
Zakka Daniher Z.Merrett
Laverde Hooker McKenna

McKernan Heppell Hocking

Big trouble if Gwilt is our second KPD. As exciting as Mckenna was, he isn't ready.

Want another ruck, perhaps Smith, but there is also the forgotten man Bellchambers. Depending on how Conor and Edwards stack up in the pre-season, we may look at getting some more small forward power too. Daniher should break out next year, with more size on his frame. Hurley will continue to be an Adonis.

Stevie J in forward pocket next to Cooney.

pay Jay Shutlz 2.5mill over 5 years and put some feelers out for Pav.

Bam

Forwardline fixed Essendon style!

Meh * it, why not. Beats 6 weeks of pointless trade talk

B Baguley – Hurley - Gleeson
HB Hibberd – Hooker - Stanton
C Colyer – Watson - Zaharakis
HF Goddard – McKernan - Laverde
F McKenna – Daniher - Langford
R Giles – Heppell – Z Merrett
I Fantasia – Edwards – Myers – Hocking

Backline a bit small, if we take a Brown or Hartley they may slot in for Gleeson.

Any draftees if and when they’re ready.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets try this

Assumptions:
Carlisle is gone, and we get a decent pick for him. Lets say it's North's pick of 12.
We recruit a mature ruck. be it Smith, Martin, Lobbe, Leuenberger. (I'm going to say we land Martin for Dempsey and some haggling)

Calls:
Howlett, Melksham, Myers, Goddard, Stanton, Watson, Hocking - how many fit into our team without costing us pace.
Pears v Gwilt for 2016. I side with Pears based on age profile and potential.

List culls:
Fletcher, Winderlich, Chapman = retired
Steinberg, Aylett, Hams, Dalgleish, Giles = delisted
Dempsey, Howlett, Melksham = traded

Backs
Baguley Hooker Pears
Hibberd Hurley Gleeson
*Ashby is good depth here and i think he can develop into a good lockdown/spoiling defender. Which would see Gleeson or Hibberd push into the middle.

Middle
S.Martin Heppell Watson
Hocking Colyer Fantasia
Bench mids = Laverde, Langford, Zaka and Z.Merrett
Depth comes from recruits, whoever we get in the draft this season, J.Merrett, Browne, Kav and O'Brien.

Forward
Stanton Bellchambers Goddard
McKenna Daniher McKernan
I wish i could do better here. Goddard and Stanton essentially become endurance mids who are good at the contest and decent kicks. Idea is they push up around the ground and continually give us an option to kick to or create space by dragging opponents away from the 50.
McKenna is raw, but he looks pretty steady at AFL level. I would take 10 rounds of him making mistakes if he can turn into a competitive forward pocket player. Same applies to Edwards.

Finding a spot for Myers is difficult. Im a big fan and that boot is a great weapon. But Jobe picks himself for another season or two, Goddard and Stanton are both durable and critical ball winners, and we look so much better with Hocking in the middle.
Im also uneasy not having a key leader in the side.

Stevie J in forward pocket next to Cooney.

pay Jay Shutlz 2.5mill over 5 years and put some feelers out for Pav.

Bam

Forwardline fixed Essendon style!

We should chase Stokes as well, a quality small forward option who can also provide a more than decent chop out in the midfield.

Seeing how far Mckenna has come in this first 10 months and then how far he has come since mid way through the season to his performance yesterday, then given another 6 months over pre season, I would be a flabbergasted if he isn't in the starting team next year.

Baguley Hurley Hibberd
Fantasia Hooker Gleeson
ZMerrett Myers Colyer
McKenna McKernan Laverde
Watson Daniher Edwards

FOLL
Caseychambers/Giles/Martin/Ruckman Hocking Heppell

BENCH
Zaharakis, Stanton, Goddard, Langford

EMG
Gwilt/Ashby/Pears - depending on opposition fwd line.
Howlett
JMerrett
Browne
Cooney - not to be played ahead of Lav, Lang, Edwards or McKenna

Look at recruiting Bugg or Hall to bolster midfield depth and obviously we need a durable Ruckman and a project Ruckman.

Baguley Hurley Hibberd
Fantasia Hooker Gleeson
ZMerrett Myers Colyer
McKenna McKernan Laverde
Watson Daniher Edwards

FOLL
Caseychambers/Giles/Martin/Ruckman Hocking Heppell

BENCH

EMG
Gwilt/Ashby/Pears - depending on opposition fwd line.
Howlett
JMerrett
Browne
Cooney - not to be played ahead of Lav, Lang, Edwards or McKenna

Look at recruiting Bugg or Hall to bolster midfield depth and obviously we need a durable Ruckman and a project Ruckman.
It's Kasey
And thats his new name. I like :)

Baguley Hurley Hibberd
Fantasia Hooker Gleeson
ZMerrett Myers Colyer
McKenna McKernan Laverde
Watson Daniher Edwards

FOLL
TBell Heppell Hocking

BENCH

LOVE THIS TEAM!!

At this stage without knowing what will happen during draft/trade periods etc I really like this side.
Myers & TBell obviously need to have better years in 2016 and get on the park more than they did this year - if they can do that it will be a big bonus for us.
This team has the right balance of youth & experience, pace all over the park and some very good key position players all over the ground.

Lets try this

Assumptions:
Carlisle is gone, and we get a decent pick for him. Lets say it's North's pick of 12.
We recruit a mature ruck. be it Smith, Martin, Lobbe, Leuenberger. (I'm going to say we land Martin for Dempsey and some haggling)

Calls:
Howlett, Melksham, Myers, Goddard, Stanton, Watson, Hocking - how many fit into our team without costing us pace.
Pears v Gwilt for 2016. I side with Pears based on age profile and potential.

List culls:
Fletcher, Winderlich, Chapman = retired
Steinberg, Aylett, Hams, Dalgleish, Giles = delisted
Dempsey, Howlett, Melksham = traded

Backs
Baguley Hooker Pears
Hibberd Hurley Gleeson
*Ashby is good depth here and i think he can develop into a good lockdown/spoiling defender. Which would see Gleeson or Hibberd push into the middle.

Middle
S.Martin Heppell Watson
Hocking Colyer Fantasia
Bench mids = Laverde, Langford, Zaka and Z.Merrett
Depth comes from recruits, whoever we get in the draft this season, J.Merrett, Browne, Kav and O'Brien.

Forward
Stanton Bellchambers Goddard
McKenna Daniher McKernan
I wish i could do better here. Goddard and Stanton essentially become endurance mids who are good at the contest and decent kicks. Idea is they push up around the ground and continually give us an option to kick to or create space by dragging opponents away from the 50.
McKenna is raw, but he looks pretty steady at AFL level. I would take 10 rounds of him making mistakes if he can turn into a competitive forward pocket player. Same applies to Edwards.

Finding a spot for Myers is difficult. Im a big fan and that boot is a great weapon. But Jobe picks himself for another season or two, Goddard and Stanton are both durable and critical ball winners, and we look so much better with Hocking in the middle.
Im also uneasy not having a key leader in the side.
I'm stunned that people still don't get how important Myers is to this side. I can't really take your side seriously as a result which is a shame because it seems interesting.

Baguley Hooker Hibberd
Gleeson Hurley Fantasia
Colyer Watson Goddard
Z Merrett Mckernan Laverde
Mckenna Daniher Langford
Bellchambers Hocking Heppell
Myers Stanton Edwards Zaharakis

Remove this Banner Ad

Back