Team Mgmt. An early crack at 2017 best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing about Brown is that I'm not convinced that we can throw him in for 22 games this year and that he is capable of having an AFL standard impact.

As a forward he doesn't have the grunt to be thought of anything more than a flanker, really. Gunston/Watts without the same mobility.

As a defender he hasn't been one excel against an opponent 1v1. He reads the play really well and can cut the ball off without having amazing hands. He's never showed the mobility to suggest that he can "play small".

It just seems like Brown's ability to be useful is a week-to-week proposition whereas with Hartley and Ambrose we know that they'll do a job on an opponent each week. If having someone in defence to take intercept marks is that important we have Goddard.

Harsh. He goes ok so far.

**** i hope they don't play TBC! I hate watching him drift around the ground like a lost soul when he isn't match fit. With him it's particularly offensive for some reason. I'd rather Stewart get another development game, especially since he has started showing some signs...

I'm assuming "no injuries" also means fit, and that "best 22 with no injuries" isn't a suggested team for round 1 (otherwise Myers, Laverde and Leuenberger need to each be replaced by someone too).

But in my opinion, a fully-fit Bellchambers beats a fully-fit Stewart as the 3rd-tall-forward/resting-ruck, unless I see some things from Stewart to change my mind that I haven't quite seen yet. It looks like he'll be rightly given that opportunity in the first couple of rounds at least.

Last edited:
I'm assuming "no injuries" also means fit, and that "best 22 with no injuries" isn't a suggested team for round 1 (otherwise Myers, Laverde and Leuenberger need to each be replaced by someone too).

But in my opinion, a fully-fit Bellchambers beats a fully-fit Stewart as the 3rd-tall-forward/resting-ruck, unless I see some things from Stewart to change my mind that I haven't quite seen yet. It looks like he'll be rightly given that opportunity in the first couple of rounds at least.
There's plenty of people calling for him to come in round one off the back of a run in the VFL this weekend. Insanity IMO

FB: McGrath Hartley Ambrose
HB: Gleeson Hurley Goddard
C: Zaka Watson Colyer
HF: Parish Daniher Fantasia
FF: Tippa Hooker Stewart
R: Leuey Heppell Merrett
I/C Laverde, Kelly, Hocking, Langford

Last edited:
HB: McKenna Hurley Goddard
HF: Parish Daniher Langford
I/C Laverde, Kelly, Hocking, Gleeson
Fantasia?

Ah. I think Conor will take Kelly's place soon enough anyway

I'm backing my boy pops to just outplay him and stay in for most of the season, but if Conor gets his chance, which he will, and nails it, which would be awesome, then Pops might struggle to get back in. I wouldn't be willing to bet against Kelly turning it on for one last year though.

I'm backing my boy pops to just outplay him and stay in for most of the season, but if Conor gets his chance, which he will, and nails it, which would be awesome, then Pops might struggle to get back in. I wouldn't be willing to bet against Kelly turning it on for one last year though.
I just don't think he'll be as necessary. Expect Conor to have his spot by round 10-15 honestly.

I just don't think he'll be as necessary. Expect Conor to have his spot by round 10-15 honestly.

I think that will be entirely up to Conor though, not as confident as you but hoping by the end of the year Conor will have shown he has earnt his spot in the best 22

I think that will be entirely up to Conor though, not as confident as you but hoping by the end of the year Conor will have shown he has earnt his spot in the best 22
I'm hoping for a 22 somewhat akin to this at the start of next year:

FB: McGrath - Hartley - Hooker
HB: McKenna - Hurley - Gleeson
MF: Zaharakis - Heppell - Langford
HF: Fantasia - Daniher - Laverde
FF: Walla - Bellchambers - Stewart
OB: Leuenberger - Merrett - Parish
IC: BJ - Long - Francis - Myers

I have a feeling this is Watson's last year for whatever reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My best 22 for round one next Saturday.

Dea Hartley Gleeson
Kelly Hurley Ambrose

Parish Watson Stanton

Goddard Hooker Laverde
Fantasia Daniher Tippungwuti

Bellchambers * Spews * Heppell Merrett

Zaharakis Colyer Green Smack

Bloody difficult. Forward line will honestly be really difficult for them to cover, throw in a resting Watson and Merrett too.
Never ever thought I would say this ever ever ever, I think our pace is better than theirs.

Bellchambers rucks first half of each quarter then swaps with Smack.

McGrath hasn't done enough. Will no doubt play early, but not round one. Couple of good games in the VFL.
Stewart plays if Hooker doesn't get up.
Hocking close.
Francis hasn't played.
Myers is, well being David Myers, injured.
Baguley is in terrible form, McGrath plays before him.
Howlett will probably be at Carlton next year.

Go bombers!!!

if the younger guys come on as expected that is a really good looking side

HB: Gleeson Hurley Goddard
HF: Parish Daniher Fantasia
I/C Laverde, Kelly, Hocking, Langford

This would be my side at the moment, with Myers to push Hocking out when fit, McKenna to hopefully push for Kelly's spot and Francis knocking on the door in the second half of the year.

Would love if that was our best 22 for next year, although I think Jobe playing on might be determined by how well he goes individually and how well we go as a team. Only others I would query would be Bellchambers & Long, we need to draft a highly rated kpf with our first pick if available. If that was the case I'd play them straight away. Don't like our chances of trading for one. Hoping Stewarts ruck work can improve just enough to battle for 15-20% of the game. Long may not be ready to consistently hold down a spot, I'd like to see Begley in there instead.

Got to be careful with Lloyd and Lucas. Lots of great stuff in yesterday's chat but then they will happily create a pointless role for old mate Stanton at half back but say that Goddard can't play there (despite Goddard being excellent over head and an elite kick).

Got to be careful with Lloyd and Lucas. Lots of great stuff in yesterday's chat but then they will happily create a pointless role for old mate Stanton at half back but say that Goddard can't play there (despite Goddard being excellent over head and an elite kick).
Why did they say he couldn't play there. If they're saying he doesn't have the ability, they're on crazy pills. If they're saying we don't yet have the midfield depth to pull him out of there, they have a reasonable point.

Kelly Hartley Ambrose
Gleeson Hurley McGrath
Goddard Heppell Parish
Fantasia Daniher Walla
Green Hooker Stewart
McKernan Watson Merrett
Stanton Zaharakis Colyer Langford

From the preview thread, good side. What happens when Luey and Bellchambers are both fit? Luey for McKernan and Bellchambers for Stewart? Belly would want to be good up forward in that case.

Won't be the best available against the Hawks on Saturday but here is my thoughts on the Bombers strongest 22 for 2017.

BACKS: James Kelly ~ Michael Hartley ~ Patrick Ambrose
HALF BACKS: Brendon Goddard ~ Michael Hurley ~ Martin Gleeson

CENTRE: Darcy Parish ~ Dyson Heppell ~ Brent Stanton
FOLLOWERS: Matthew Leuenberger ~ Jobe Watson ~ Zach Merrett

HALF FORWARDS: James Stewart ~ Cale Hooker ~ David Zaharakis
FULL FORWARDS: Orazio Fantasia ~ Joe Daniher ~ Anthony McDonald

INTERCHANGE: Andrew McGrath ~ Kyle Langford ~ Travis Colyer ~ David Myers

Up until recently I would had Laverde replacing Myers but his injury throws that last bench spot up in the air again

Won't be the best available against the Hawks on Saturday but here is my thoughts on the Bombers strongest 22 for 2017.

BACKS: James Kelly ~ Michael Hartley ~ Patrick Ambrose
HALF BACKS: Brendon Goddard ~ Michael Hurley ~ Martin Gleeson

CENTRE: Darcy Parish ~ Dyson Heppell ~ Brent Stanton
FOLLOWERS: Matthew Leuenberger ~ Jobe Watson ~ Zach Merrett

HALF FORWARDS: James Stewart ~ Cale Hooker ~ David Zaharakis
FULL FORWARDS: Orazio Fantasia ~ Joe Daniher ~ Anthony McDonald

INTERCHANGE: Andrew McGrath ~ Kyle Langford ~ Travis Colyer ~ David Myers

Up until recently I would had Laverde replacing Myers but his injury throws that last bench spot up in the air again
This team x100

Not a big fan of Fletchers team tbh

Me either, that would get killed by small/medium forwards. It's so slow. McKenna and McGrath need to feature more, we need their dash off half back, Stanton isn't a back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back