Team Mgmt. An early crack at 2017 best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought I would have a crack at this. Like the look of this team round 1 hopefully at the MCG against a big Melbourne club

Baugley Hartley Hooker
Goddard Hurley Hibberd (Dea)
Z.Merrett Heppell Zaharakis
Parish Daniher Fantasia
Francis Bellchambers AMT
Leuenberger Watson Myers
Bench: Langford, Laverde, Colyer, Stanton

One of hooker forward. Or take hartely out for another mid. Probably our pick 1.

FB: Baguley - Hartley - Hooker
HB: Goddard - Hurley - Tipungwuti
MF: Zaharakis - Watson - Parish
HF: Colyer - Daniher - Tipungwuti
FF: Laverde - Patton - Francis
OB: Leuenberger - Merrett - Heppell
I/C: Langford - Myers - Steele - Stanton

Hey, sorry to intrude. But do you really think Hurley will stay? If he hasn't committed by now, surely other clubs have offered him the world. In the past when players dont commit by now, they almost certainly leave. Not saying he will leave, but there must be grave doubts. Essendon would not want to lose him.

Hey, sorry to intrude. But do you really think Hurley will stay? If he hasn't committed by now, surely other clubs have offered him the world. In the past when players dont commit by now, they almost certainly leave. Not saying he will leave, but there must be grave doubts. Essendon would not want to lose him.
Probably the wrong thread.

Hurley is contracted to the end of 2017. He hasn't initiated the proceedings for the DFA thing the players association mentioned at the start of the year, and in any case there is a lot of doubt about whether it would get up. The club has said that anyone who wants to leave will be traded, so there is that I suppose. He'll be expensive for any club that wants him though.

What we know of Hurley is that he's very loyal to the club and it would take a lot to get him out of it. All of his mates are at Essendon and he's currently overseas with the other suspended players. That wild beard he is currently sporting is apparently a result of a promise not to cut it until he's back (presumably 'back at the club', because it doesn't look like it's been groomed since January, but it was open to interpretation). Before he left contract negotiations were progressing, and there is an offer on the table (which the club apparently felt warranted a statement on their website). The longer he's away the more angsty the media coverage gets though, and that rubs off on the supporter base a bit as well.

But generally the assumption is that he will stay. And we're hoping that's a reasonable assumption to make... Given the year we're having, doom and gloom is not really our first choice of attitudes. I think (just quietly) that people are bracing themselves for the possibility of him leaving though. Going forward we really only want people at the club who believe in what we're trying to do and who want to be a part of it... If that's not him then ultimately it's good riddance.

Probably the wrong thread.

But generally the assumption is that he will stay. And we're hoping that's a reasonable assumption to make... Given the year we're having, doom and gloom is not really our first choice of attitudes. I think (just quietly) that people are bracing themselves for the possibility of him leaving though. Going forward we really only want people at the club who believe in what we're trying to do and who want to be a part of it... If that's not him then ultimately it's good riddance.
BS. If he doesn't like what we are trying to do then the suits can damn well listen! I'd trust Hurley's sense of what is the right direction far more than board. If he leaves based on any dissatisfaction with club as it currently stands then that is damning. If he leaves because of what happened in the past then fair enough and good luck to him. "Good riddance" is about as far off the mark as i can imagine anyone could be!

BS. If he doesn't like what we are trying to do then the suits can damn well listen! I'd trust Hurley's sense of what is the right direction far more than board. If he leaves based on any dissatisfaction with club as it currently stands then that is damning. If he leaves because of what happened in the past then fair enough and good luck to him. "Good riddance" is about as far off the mark as i can imagine anyone could be!
I have no idea what you're going on about or what it has to do with the bit of my post you quoted. If he doesn't want to be at Essendon, and goes all Cam McCarthy on us, then I don't think we want him, and whatever we can get at the trade table is better than Hurley refusing to come to work.

That said, the part of my post that you decided to omit when you quoted me was me saying exactly how Hurley isn't like Cam McCarthy and is unlikely to leave or for us to want him to leave.

I have no idea what you're going on about or what it has to do with the bit of my post you quoted. If he doesn't want to be at Essendon, and goes all Cam McCarthy on us, then I don't think we want him, and whatever we can get at the trade table is better than Hurley refusing to come to work.

That said, the part of my post that you decided to omit when you quoted me was me saying exactly how Hurley isn't like Cam McCarthy and is unlikely to leave or for us to want him to leave.
I'm surprised by your faith in the club. You say if Hurley doesn't like what we are doing and where we are going then he can go and good riddance to him?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-11/what-will-essendons-round-one-side-for-2017-look-like

What will Dons' 2017 round one side look like?
Callum Twomey

ESSENDON'S POSSIBLE ROUND ONE TEAM NEXT YEAR
B:
Mark Baguley, Michael Hartley, Michael Hibberd

HB: David Myers, Michael Hurley, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti

C: Darcy Parish, Jobe Watson, Brendon Goddard

HF: Travis Colyer, Cale Hooker, Aaron Francis

F: David Zaharakis, Joe Daniher, Orazio Fantasia

R: Matthew Leuenberger, Zach Merrett, Dyson Heppell

I/C: Tom Bellchambers, Jayden Laverde, Brent Stanton, Kyle Langford

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-11/what-will-essendons-round-one-side-for-2017-look-like

Callum Twomey

B:

I/C:
Tom Bellchambers, Jayden Laverde, Brent Stanton, Kyle Langford
Decent effort. Maybe switch a couple of players around but no he's got the actual 22 players spot on IMHO.

Callum Twomey

B:

I/C:
Tom Bellchambers, Jayden Laverde, Brent Stanton, Kyle Langford
Tiny defence. #HookerBack

FB: Baguley Hurley Hartley
HB: Francis Hooker Hibberd
C: Colyer Myers Zaharakis
HF: Goddard Daniher Fantasia
FF: Tippa Bellchambers Watson
RR: Leuey Heppell (Z)Merrett

I/C: Parish Laverde Langford Stanton

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There it is!
I love the make up of our list with the returning?
Add Patton and look out!!!

At this point in time (without Hurley Watson Hibberd confirmed) I'd have;-

Francis Hartley Baguley
Goddard Hooker Stanton
Zakka Myers Parish
Laverde Daniher Tippa
Fantasia Brown Colyer

Leuenberger Heppell Z.Merrett

Bench from: Hocking Gleeson Langford TBell
Emergency: Hurley Watson Hibberd

Just as a comparison, this I the best 22 that we were rolling out back in 2014 when we pushed North all the way in the Elimantion Final

Best 22 2014

FB: Baguley - Hooker - Fletcher
HB: Hibberd - Hurley - Dempsey
MF: Zaharakis - Watson - Stanton
HF: Chapman - Carlisle - Winderlich
FF: Z Merrett - Daniher - Ambrose
OB: Ryder - Heppell - Goddard
I/C: Myers - Hocking - Howlett
Sub: Colyer

Best 22 2017
FB: Baguley - Hartley - Hibberd
HB: Goddard - Hurley - McDonald-Tipungwuti