Team Mgmt. An early crack at 2017 best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

North do it most weeks quite well. Hawks/dogs have small teams. Don't see how we can't nullify the ruck for 5 minutes as any decent 2nd string ruckman can do with a bit of training.

Not worth giving up a position on the ground for
It's not as if Hooker is a gun defensively anyway

Bagley Hooker Hartley
Gleeson Hurley Goddard
Colyer Myers Zarharkis
Tippa Daniher Laverde
Fantasia Bellcho Francis
Leuey Heppell Zerrett

Watson Langford Parish Stanton

Emer Hocking Jerrett Bird Ambrose Brown Howlett

Only unsigned are Watson and Laverde (apparently close)

I went with two rucks as it seemed to be the preference for Woosha to do so this year, but if not then Brown

If Watson doesn't come back Hocking comes in.

Baguley Hartley Dea
Gleeson Hurley McKenna
Colyer Hocking Zaharakis
Tippa Daniher Laverde
Fantasia Hooker Francis
Leuey Heppell Zerrett

Watson Langford Parish Goddard

Emer Myers, Jerrett, Bird, Ambrose, Brown, Howlett, Stanton, Draft Pick #1 (Probably McLuggage)

italics = not confirmed for 2017
bold = close to being in side 1-2 injuries away

Key Ideas/Contentious picks for this team:
Hooker to play forward all season - as much as he's a great back with him and a matured Daniher up forward its going to be really powerful for us. Plus it will give us the flexibility of playing 1 ruck and then having either of those 2 help out a few minutes per quarter.
Still emphasising development and pace - this is why I've kept in all of McKenna, Colyer, Langford, Laverde and Francis some of which who might be squeezed out by guys like Myers, Stanton.
Backline - Not as many resources used as others going with Hooker/Hurley combo's. There's a bit of money ball going on here. Strong on rebound and disposal. Brown is extremely close but I think Hartley pairs better with Hurley with his height and is a superior kick. Dea also in for his disposal skills.
Midfield/Ruck - Pretty standard - the best players pick themselves here. Left Myers out for better team balance. Don't really like Myers with Heppell, Watson, Hocking but as soon as one of those are down he's in. Stanton out in favour of Colyer but who knows.
Forward - Its an awesome forward line. Marking power, speed and pace. If we line up with this forward line we will kick a lot of goals and apply immense defense pressure - especially from kicks in with so much marking power.

Bagley Hooker Hartley
Gleeson Hurley Goddard
Colyer Myers Zarharkis
Tippa Daniher Laverde
Fantasia Bellcho Francis
Leuey Heppell Zerrett

Watson Langford Parish Stanton

Emer Hocking Jerrett Bird Ambrose Brown Howlett

Only unsigned are Watson and Laverde (apparently close)

I went with two rucks as it seemed to be the preference for Woosha to do so this year, but if not then Brown

If Watson doesn't come back Hocking comes in.
Hocking starts ahead of bellcho IMO else good team

Last edited:
Hooker's second efforts as a forward were actually exceptional. He was ranked second in the league from round 14 onwards for ground ball gets inside forward 50.

Actually that's one of the two reasons why I like Hooker forward - The other reason is his ability to take HOT marks with his hands outstretched.

FB Brown Hartley Baguley
HB Goddard Hurley Walla
C Colyer Heppell Z.Merrett
HF Zakka Daniher Laverde
F Watson Hooker Fantasia

R Leuenberger Hocking Parish

INT Myers Kelly TBC Stanton

My bench is slow as hell and i'm unconvinced about TBC. He will have to be in great form to warrant selection. I kind of doubt we will field this side... I think Francis will break in at the expense of one of the old guard, but on paper i don't see how you do it? I have a hunch that Brown is the ideal third tall in defense, but if i am wrong i can easily see Ambrose, Gleeson or Francis coming depending on the size of the opposition forward line.
I'm sure we will be keen to find another player with zip, but until we do i expect we will monster sides in the contest with this sort of side. Opposition teams cant run away with the ball if they don't have the damn thing! Besides, when was the last time we had the possibility of a rebound off half back that read "Tippa to Colyer to Fantasia"!

Hooker's second efforts as a forward were actually exceptional. He was ranked second in the league from round 14 onwards for ground ball gets inside forward 50.
Really? Surprised about that.

Baguley Hartley Dea
Gleeson Hurley McKenna
Colyer Hocking Zaharakis
Tippa Daniher Laverde
Fantasia Hooker Francis
Leuey Heppell Zerrett

Watson Langford Parish Goddard

Emer Myers, Jerrett, Bird, Ambrose, Brown, Howlett, Stanton, Draft Pick #1 (Probably McLuggage)

italics = not confirmed for 2017
bold = close to being in side 1-2 injuries away

Key Ideas/Contentious picks for this team:
Hooker to play forward all season - as much as he's a great back with him and a matured Daniher up forward its going to be really powerful for us. Plus it will give us the flexibility of playing 1 ruck and then having either of those 2 help out a few minutes per quarter.
Still emphasising development and pace - this is why I've kept in all of McKenna, Colyer, Langford, Laverde and Francis some of which who might be squeezed out by guys like Myers, Stanton.
Backline - Not as many resources used as others going with Hooker/Hurley combo's. There's a bit of money ball going on here. Strong on rebound and disposal. Brown is extremely close but I think Hartley pairs better with Hurley with his height and is a superior kick. Dea also in for his disposal skills.
Midfield/Ruck - Pretty standard - the best players pick themselves here. Left Myers out for better team balance. Don't really like Myers with Heppell, Watson, Hocking but as soon as one of those are down he's in. Stanton out in favour of Colyer but who knows.
Forward - Its an awesome forward line. Marking power, speed and pace. If we line up with this forward line we will kick a lot of goals and apply immense defense pressure - especially from kicks in with so much marking power.

No way Dea plays over Myers.

As good as Dea was this year, I think he becomes depth in 2017 (if picked up).

It's not as if Hooker is a gun defensively anyway
You really need to accept he's going forward. You might not like it or agree but it's the reality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing I really like when putting together a best 22 is the elite running we will have in the team in 2017. I have marked in bold the guys who really have pace, endurance or both;-

Ambrose Hartley Baguley
Goddard Hurley Stanton
Zakka
Myers Parish
Tippa Daniher Colyer
Watson Hooker Fantasia
Leuenberger Heppell Z.Merrett

Bench from: Hocking Laverde Gleeson Francis

It's so hard to do a best 22 though - I have left out a number of guys who could easily be best 22;- Langford, Long, Mckenna, Brown, Bellchambers, Dea, Howlett, Kelly.

Thats not to mention the draft picks we have and hopefully 1 or 2 gun recruits we will sign during trade period...Things are looking up and its not unreasonable to think we could even push into the 8 next year.

The thing I really like when putting together a best 22 is the elite running we will have in the team in 2017. I have marked in bold the guys who really have pace, endurance or both;-

Ambrose Hartley Baguley
Goddard Hurley Stanton
Zakka
Myers Parish
Tippa Daniher Colyer
Watson Hooker Fantasia
Leuenberger Heppell Z.Merrett

Bench from: Hocking Laverde Gleeson Francis

It's so hard to do a best 22 though - I have left out a number of guys who could easily be best 22;- Langford, Long, Mckenna, Brown, Bellchambers, Dea, Howlett, Kelly.

Thats not to mention the draft picks we have and hopefully 1 or 2 gun recruits we will sign during trade period...Things are looking up and its not unreasonable to think we could even push into the 8 next year.

Heppell & Z.Merrett pretty elite endurance as well....You are right though and if guys like Long and McKenna can push into the best 22 we will have some serious running power in our side in 2017

Ambrose Hartley Baguley
Goddard Hurley Francis
Parish Watson Colyer
Laverde Hooker Zaharakis
Fantasia Daniher Tippa
Leuenberger Heppell Merrett
Hocking Myers Langford Gleeson

Dea, Hurley, Baguley
Kelly, Hartley, Gleeson
Z. Merrett, Goddard, Zaharakis
McDonald-Tipungwuti, Daniher, Colyer
Fantasia, Hooker, Watson
Leuenberger, Myers, D. Heppell
Bellchambers, Laverde, Hocking, Parish

Stanton, Francis, Dempsey, J. Merrett, Bird, Morgan, Redman, Brown, Ambrose, K. Langford, Long, Eades, Nyuon, Howlett, McKenna, A. Heppell to be in the best possible VFL team.

Geez that was hard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back