FB: Baguley - Hartley - Hooker
HB: Gleeson - Hurley - Goddard
MF: Zaharakis - Heppell - Colyer
HF: Stanton - Daniher - Langford
FF: Walla - Stewart - Fantasia
OB: Leuenberger - Z Merrett - Myers
IC: Bellchambers - Watson - Parish - Hocking

Reserves:

FB: Heppell (VFL) - Freezer (VFL) - Ferry (VFL)
HB: Francis - Ambrose - Morgan
MF: Laverde - Bird - McKenna
HF: Long - Brown - J Merrett
FF: Eades - Nyuon - Redman
OB: McKernan - Howlett - Hams
IC: Dempsey - Kelly - Dea - McGrath
I like it on the whole.

Just a query, would they bother keeping old mate Kelly on the list if he's only going to play VFL? I guess he could be for depth.

I like it on the whole.

Just a query, would they bother keeping old mate Kelly on the list if he's only going to play VFL? I guess he could be for depth.
I think he's right in the seniors mix, but just slightly outside of the 22.

HB: Kelly - Hurley - Goddard
HF: Watson - Daniher - Francis
OB: Bellchambers- Z Merrett - Myers
IC: Mcgrath or Mcluggage - Stanton - Parish - Hocking

Emergencies: Gleeson Howlett Dea Brown Laverde

Leuenberger?

Really is hard to peg an absolute best 22. All i will say is of the blokes coming back i think only Hurley , Hooker , Watson and Heppell are a lock.
The rest are in a battle IMO. Hocking may get in for his inside and defensive work. Stanton because of his running ability and being able to push forward.
Myers for his inside work but it is hard to fit them all in.

Not sure Stewart is certain at this stage. I liked the trade for him but he has to prove himself and i think Brown would be in front of him at this stage.

Don't know where all the Stewart love has come from? Just because we got Hartley and Brown late in a draft and they worked out doesn't mean we are going to get solid gold for a pick 71! (or whatever it was). Does anyone really think we are going to play Hooker back because we traded in an unproven kid who plays forward? We have a serious list with serious talent this year. No kid from the NEAFL is walking into this side! Hooker forward is an absolute lock. We desperately need to give JD the space to take the next step and nobody will provide that other than Hooker. We also desperately need a settled forward line, and once again, nobody will provide that other than Hooker. Of course it just so happens that we have a wealth of talent and depth in the backline which we will want to be utilizing.

FB: Baguley - Hartley - Brown
HB: Walla - Hurley - Goddard
MF: Zaharakis - Heppell - Z Merrett
HF: Colyer - Daniher - Laverde
FF: Parish - Hooker - Fantasia
OB: Leuenberger - Watson - Myers
IC: Kelly - Stanton - Gleeson - Hocking

Francis and McGluggage to be hammering on the door. TBC just too unknown at this point

I liked the glimpses Stewart showed at AFL level in 14'. Think he would have held his spot at any other team, don't expect him dominate but think he'll be able to hold Brown out due to his ability to compete against bigger bodies.
I don't see Brown playing forward. If we have JD and Hooker up there then i'd like Laverde or possibly Langford taking that third tall role, particularly when you consider that Watson will be spending a lot of time forward. Brown is an ideal third tall in defense.

First team.

FB: Baguley - Hartley - Ambrose
HB: Gleeson - Hurley - Goddard
MF: Colyer - Watson - Z Merrett
HF: Zaharakis - Daniher - Langford
FF: Tippa - Hooker - Fantasia
OB: Leuenberger - Hocking - Heppell
IC: Brown - Stanton - Laverde - Myers

Second team.

FB: Morgan - A tall - Dea
HB: Dempsey - A tall - Kelly
MF: McCluggage/McGrath - Parish - J Merrett
HF: Redman - Stewart - Francis
FF: Kommer - McKernan - Eades
OB: Bellchambers - Bird - Howlett
IC: Hams, McKenna, Long, Nyuon, draft picks and the rest

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is absolutely no chance we re-sign a 32 year old to have him playing reserves or even to be a borderline 22 player. Putting Kelly in the reserves is absurd.

I will be amazed if a bloke who finishes 2nd in the b&f starts the next year in the reserves. It just will not happen.

Backs – Baguley 182cm – Hartley 200cm – Hurley 193cm

Halfbacks – Dea 186cm or Francis 190cm – Hooker 198cm – Kelly 183cm

Centres – Goddard 192cm – Watson 190cm - Colyer 174cm

Half Forwards – Laverde 190cm – Daniher 201cm – Langford 191cm ……… or drop one for Francis 190cm.

Forwards – Fanta 177cm - Stewart 198cm- Walla 171cm

Rucks – Leuy 203cm - Heppell 189cm - Zerrett 180cm

Interchange – TBell 206cm or Hocking 186cm depending who we are playing, Zaka 180cm, Parish 181cm, Pick one hopefully McGrath 181cm and physically ready to go.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Emergencies - TBell or Hocking, Stanton, Gleeson, Dea or Francis, Jerrett, Myers, Bird, Morgan, Redman, M. Brown, Ambrose, Eades, Howlett, McKernan (if not delisted or sent to Rookie List), Pick 20, Pick 29, Pick 41. Current Rookies not elevated Long, Hams and Conor McKenna

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Lost, Traded, Retired – Hibberd, Ashby, Dempsey(?) Pears, Cooney, Edwards, Kommer(?), Gwilt. McKernan (?) Max total 9

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

In already: Walla, Stewart, Dea, Kelly – 4 places taken.

National Draft – Picks 1, 20, 29, 41, 68 – take 4 picks only

PSD – 1 or keep McKernan and/or Dempsey or Rookie both for insurance.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Back line – Great wall of China.

Quick Outside run – Colyer, Fanta, Walla, Zerrett, Zaka, Parish. McGrath – all can play inside as well. McKenna if elevated (great disposal for a guy who picked up a ball only 2-3 years ago)

Inside Big Bodies - Jobe, Goddard, Laverde, Langford, Heppell, Hocking if he plays, Francis.

Forward Line – 2 mobile tall’s, 2 190cm mobile inside/outside tough reasonably quick and tacklers, 2 goal kicking smalls fast and great tacklers.

Rucks and players who can run through the midfield. - Leuy and TBell plus Joey and Stewart in forward line. Hepp, Zerrett, Jobe, BJ, Parish, Zaka, Parish, Langford, Laverde, McGrath, Colyer, Fanta, Walla – 13 potential mid rotations

Round 1 vs Hawks

B: Baguley Hurley Gleeson
HB: Goddard Hartley Brown

Foll: Luey Watson ZMerrett
C: Colyer Heppell Zacka

HF: Laverde Daniher Walla
F: Fantasia Hooker Francis

Int: Myers Parish Langford Stanton

Also tempted by option B

B: Baguley Hartley McGrath
HB: Goddard Hooker Hurley

Foll: Luey Watson ZMerrett
C: Colyer Heppell Zacka

HF: Laverde Daniher Walla
F: Fantasia Stewart Francis

Int: Myers Parish Langford Stanton

Really is hard to peg an absolute best 22. All i will say is of the blokes coming back i think only Hurley , Hooker , Watson and Heppell are a lock.
The rest are in a battle IMO. Hocking may get in for his inside and defensive work. Stanton because of his running ability and being able to push forward.
Myers for his inside work but it is hard to fit them all in.

Not sure Stewart is certain at this stage. I liked the trade for him but he has to prove himself and i think Brown would be in front of him at this stage.
Based on the trajectory of his career pre-suspension, as well as being one of our few genuine speedsters, Colyer is pretty much a lock for mine. Myers and Hocking share a lock because we need at least one of them in the side at all times for the defensive, tough, largely unnoticed stuff that creates time and space for our skilled mids. I'd say that Myers is probably a lock anyway for the various roles he can play.

Stewart looks good up forward. Especially with Walla and Fanta each side of him. He wouldn't need to do much more than bring the ball to ground.

FB: Baguley - Hartley - Francis
HB: Gleeson - Hurley - Kelly
MF: Colyer - Watson - Goddard
HF: Tippa - Daniher - Langford
FF: Stewart/T.Bell - Hooker - Fantasia
OB: Leuenberger - Zerrett - Heppell
IC: Myers - Zaha - Laverde - Parish

Opportunity in the backline for Dea or mcgrath(?) to challenge for gleeson's spot but hope he makes it his own next year.
If T.Bell in great form, potential for Luey to be pushed out based on fwd flexibility

Round 1 team

FB: Baguley - Hartley - Kelly
HB: Goddard - Hurley - Stanton
C: Zaharakis - Heppell (c) - Colyer
HF: Langford - Daniher - Tippa
FF: Bellchambers - Hooker - Fantasia
Onballers: Luenberger - Watson - Merrett
I/C: Myers, Hocking, Laverde, Parish

Of these listed players I see the following players most at risk;

Hocking - I rate him highly but is his lock down role still required under worsfold? He still adds value in other areas of the game but is notably a tough inside midfield tagger.

Bellchambers - Do we play two rucks? Does bellchambers return to form and is he able to play ruck/fwd effectively kicking a few bags again? I think if he shows reasonable form in the preseason he will play rd1, after that who knows!

Laverde - could be left out of the team on exposed form there are a few ahead of him but he has so much potential it would be negligent for us not to give him time in the seniors to develop.

Stanton - Again, one I rate highly but I've had to move him to the hb flank to use his run and carry. I can't see him as a permanent midfielder anymore. That said I do expect him to remain in the midfield rotation but probably at #6.

Players stiff:

Gleeson
Dea

The big one for mine is what they do with the ginger man child that is Aaron Francis. Do they play him down back and let him take the piss with intercept marking to save games or do they put him forward to form a partnership with Daniher and whoever of TBC/Hooksy/Stewart/Brown is down there? He's gotta go fwd IMO, adds a dynamism we haven't had for a while and will continue our time honoured tradition of playing defenders as forwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back