Team Mgmt. An early crack at 2017 best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Its going to be hard to fit in lots of the players we have grown to love over the past 5, 10 years. Just simply can't fit them all into the 22.
I like the idea of injecting some youth, X factor & pace into the side though and that will mean some of the likes of Myers, Stanton, Hocking, Howlett & Kelly will have to be rotated through. Thats not a bad thing though, and if they are playing well they keep their spots pretty simple. McKenna is one for me who I think can have a breakout year, hopefully Langford & Laverde also. I think we should play one of Stewart or Francis as our 3rd tall forward.

Gleeson Hartley Baguley
Goddard Hurley McKenna
Colyer Watson Zakka
Langford Daniher Tippa
Francis/Stewart Hooker Fantasia

Leuenberger Heppell Z.Merrett

Bench from: Stanton Myers Laverde Parish

Last edited:
Geeze, Bird is a name that has hardly been mentioned in the 22. I think he will very much struggle to get a game in 2017
Think he's a player that everyone acknowledges is in the 23-30 range

Its going to be hard to fit in lots of the players we have grown to love over the past 5, 10 years. Just simply can't fit them all into the 22.
I like the idea of injecting some youth, X factor & pace into the side though and that will mean some of the likes of Myers, Stanton, Hocking, Howlett & Kelly will have to be rotated through. Thats not a bad thing though, and if they are playing well they keep their spots pretty simple. McKenna is one for me who I think can have a breakout year, hopefully Langford & Laverde also. I think we should play one of Stewart or Francis as our 3rd tall forward.

Gleeson Hartley Baguley
Goddard Hurley McKenna
Colyer Watson Zakka
Langford Daniher Tippa
Francis/Stewart Hooker Fantasia

Leuenberger Heppell Z.Merrett

Bench from: Stanton Myers Laverde Parish
If they're all playing well they keep their spots? What if all the slow senior players are individually playing well but the team is losing because we're getting smashed on the spread? Then what do you do?

With two/three more early draft picks and with the loss of Goddard and Watson, by 2019 that will be a pretty cracking team.

I think Hooker goes to CHF, he can take a mark on a lead and take a contested mark, we don't need him back and he wants to play forward, it's a no brainer to me. Will help Joe a hell of a lot too.

I wouldn't like to see Kelly getting too many games, I don't think win/loss is terribly important this year. Perhaps his leadership and defence will be good to have around early in the year, but I don't see him playing a lot of football in the second half of the year unless we have a lot of injuries (which is possible after so many guys have had a year off, it will be hard to work them all up to AFL pace).

B: Baguley - Hartley - Francis
HB: Gleeson - Hurley - Kelly
C: Colyer - Watson - Goddard
HF: Tippa - Daniher - Langford
F: Stewart/T.Bell - Hooker - Fantasia
R: Leuenberger - Zerrett - Heppell
INT: Myers - Zaha - Laverde - Parish

for the sake of it, gws (premiership favs) best 22:

B:
Heath Shaw, Aidan Corr, Nick Haynes
HB: Nathan Wilson, Phil Davis, Zac Williams
C: Josh Kelly, Callan Ward, Tom Scully
HF: Brett Deledio, Jeremy Cameron, Toby Greene
F: Steve Johnson, Jon Patton, Rory Lobb
R: Shane Mumford, Dylan Shiel, Stephen Coniglio
INT: Devon Smith, Lachie Whitfield, Jacob Hopper, Ryan Griffen

possibly would need to throw hooks back and francis fwd for this matchup, gws fwd line is ridic

I'm a big Bags fan, but hoping Gleeson, Francis and McKenna can take over, especially with Kelly there, and I'd prefer Kelly over Bags.

B: Kelly - Hartley - Francis
HB: Gleeson - Hurley - McKenna
C: Colyer - Watson - Parish
HF: Tippa - Daniher - Langford
F: T.Bell - Hooker - Fantasia
R: Leuenberger - Heppell - Zerrett
INT: Myers - Zaharakis - Laverde - Goddard

Next in line: Baguely, Stewart, Stanton, Brown, Dea, Ambrose, Hocking, Redman

Depth

Looking at suggested teams...if TBell isn't in then no 2nd ruck.
We might want to get someone in for this?

Pretty sure Hooker actually hired a goal kicking coach during the season.

Pretty sure Hooker actually hired a goal kicking coach during the season.

Hope so, he would have had so much time to practice it too, which he wouldn't while playing.

Him kicking straight will be more important than Joe kicking straight because if he kicks straight I feel it will take pressure off Joe and he will in turn kick straight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With two/three more early draft picks and with the loss of Goddard and Watson, by 2019 that will be a pretty cracking team.

I think Hooker goes to CHF, he can take a mark on a lead and take a contested mark, we don't need him back and he wants to play forward, it's a no brainer to me. Will help Joe a hell of a lot too.

I wouldn't like to see Kelly getting too many games, I don't think win/loss is terribly important this year. Perhaps his leadership and defence will be good to have around early in the year, but I don't see him playing a lot of football in the second half of the year unless we have a lot of injuries (which is possible after so many guys have had a year off, it will be hard to work them all up to AFL pace).

Maybe, maybe not....lets see in 2019... I hope you are right.

I can recall Mathew Lloyd circa 2010 recalling how that pre-season was the strongest and best he had ever experienced..hmmmm,
s**t means nothin' to actually the good s**t starts happin'...

until then we hold the wooden spoon

I agree with the Kelly sentiment too. I know he had a great year, but looking forward I hope someone steps up and takes his place. Same with Goddard too, truth be known, and as sad as that reality seems.

Kelly could just be that conduit required between the new guys and the returning guys. You always need people to transcend the generation gaps. Despite the many strenthgs of John Worsfold, Ive got my doubts with his ability to relate to his entire list. just like Sheedy. Might pain a lot of ppl but James Hird could relate to most of his playing list. That was his strength..and probably his failing too.

Maybe Kelly will play half a season in the seniors but more importantly help with the most crucial aspect of next year. That is "gelling this group back together"

Think he's a player that everyone acknowledges is in the 23-30 range

Let me see:

01. Bellchambers
02. Parish
03. Watson
04. Stanton
05. Daniher
06. Merrett
07. Gleeson
08. Goddard
09. Zaharakis
10. Baguley
11. Fantasia
12. Hurley
13. Heppell
14. Leuenberger
15. Myers
16. Hooker
17. Redman
18. Brown
19. Ambrose
20. Langford
21. Colyer
22. Laverde
23. Hartley
24. Hocking
25. Howlett
26. McKenna
27. Tippa
28. McKernan
29. Kelly
30. Dea
31. Stewart

s**t, I did not think that I would get there because of de-listings and retirements. Ha!

Didn't even have to start an argument about Francis, Long, Jack Merrett, #1/McGrath as players with potential that I would prefer to see get game time (who I could not seriously say are better performed or otherwise fit the side better).

Lol Hooker aint a foward!! When will we understand this!

I agree. The guy is one of the best defenders in the AFL. You have tried with Hurley, Carlisle and now Hooker to convert them into a forward when they are far better, elite, defenders.

If you think that's an area of need, and you believe Hartley can stand up long term as KPD, then your better off moving Hooker then converting him to a forward. You would get a top 10, likely top 5, pick for him. Or, you could attempt to attract a Patton or Lobb to partner with Daniher long term.

Baguley Hartley Hooker
Goddard Hurley Kelly
Zaharakis Heppell Colyer
Laverde Daniher Francis
Fantasia TBell/Stewart Fantasia
Leuenberger Watson Z Merrett
Myers Langford Parish Stanton

Have to play Hooker forward..... you're losing way too much playing TBELL or Stewart forward instead of Hooker compared to having Hartley or Francis hold back a spot.

XXXXX Hartley Francis
XXXXX Hurley XXXXXX
----------------------
XXXXX Daniher XXXXX
XXXXX Hooker XXXXX

Is much stronger IMO compared to

XXXXX Hartley Hooker
XXXXX Hurley XXXXXX
----------------------
XXXXX Daniher XXXXX
XXXXX TBELL XXXXX

I can see Daniher and Hooker both going for 50 plus goals if they stay injury free together....

And plus with Francis back and Hooker forward Woosha can use his trump card and push Hunte... I mean Francis forward to swing the game in the second half.

I know it is forever discussed here, but has hooker said himself he would prefer to play forward?

Also, what date is the draft?

Dodoro keeps saying Hooker wants to and I think Worsfold has too.

Lol Hooker aint a foward!! When will we understand this!

The thing with Hooker is it doesn't really matter where he plays. If he's asked to play somewhere for the good of the team he will give it his all. He bleeds Red & Black and he never gives up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back