An Inconvenient Truth About West Australian Football

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 10, 2004
East Fremantle
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Derby County FC
As a proud Westralian it hurts me to the bone when I hear people acknowledge West Coast as the epitome of Western Australian football. It kills me, it kills people who have even the slightest form of intelligence and it kills us Westralian’s with memories. West Coast is not what one would define as a football team in the conventional sense; West Coast is nothing more than a Victoria football Scheme designed to make money for the AFL. To put it in layman’s terms West Coast is a 'cash cow'. What shames me is why do Western Australians go for that team? Why did they jump on that showy model of Victorian football? And more importantly why do they jump so vigorously to defend West Coast? Why do the Western Australians who constantly complain of Victorian bias praise and praise the Victorian Eagles? Can't they see through this fake cash cow?

I believe that West Coast is morally wrong; it is a fact that supporting WCE is logically incorrect. It does not make sense to support a team that left the bloody carcass of the WAFL on the floor, it's simply not right. For starters football and indeed anything is about the past as the past defines who you are; to quote George Orwell 'those who control the past control the future'. This is very true about West Australian football, not one average Western Australian knows anything about local and WA footy. Infact they would know more about Victorian footy than West Australian footy. The History has been erased, according to some football does not predate 1986. West Coast now controls the future of footy in WA and with what job they've done in the past they surely can't be trusted.

Now many of you Western Australians who support the West Coast would claim that your team restored West Australian football to its former glory. Well you are incorrect. It would be true to say West Coast emplaced itself in glory but by saying Western Australia had glory thrusted upon it in 92 and 94 implies that something beneficial to the 'entire' state happened. Could it be that 92 and 94 were the end of football in WA, the day that money hammered the final nail in the WAFLs coffin? 92 and 94 are remembered as the day Western Australia beat the dirty vics. But could it be the day that the Victorians won a hollow victory? Yes, Yes and YES. Victoria won on 94 and 94. They won the battle they beat the WAFL, they beat Western Australia. If you actually look at the numbers it becomes crystal clear how many advantages West Coast had over the rest of the defunct VFL. To start off with draft concessions of which would be never be comprehended in modern day football, zone concessions of the most unfair description and money benefits from other dodgy organisations. This is a well known fact even West Coasters know this but yet they choose to ignore it as sneaky 'Victorian propaganda'. Well to that I have this simple hypothetical to answer. Its 1986, I’m a Western Australian I decide to get some Vics to enter a footy team in the WAFL because it will generate money for my dying comp, I decide to let the vic team be the only team allowed to draft out of its state, I also let that team draft out of other areas. I then get that team called the 'vics' to play against the local WAFL teams who are effectively suburban teams with a talent pool divided into 8 as opposed to Victorian talent divided by 1. Just out of interest how many premierships would that Vic team win? Sound familiar ,that’s the story of West Coast but reversed. It’s obvious that story is not falsified. It is true.

NB: Many of you will say the WAFL was dying but so was the VFL, The VFL was the first team to nationalise that is all.

WEST COAST AND WESTERN AUSTRLIANS: its obvious Infact, unavoidable that your team destroyed Western Australian football. The WAFL remains at the forefront choose a real comp over West Coast. You can see this now, many of you are going to see my point; some will agree infact all will. But you will chose not to think about it. Hoping to avoid it so it might not be true. But it is. The Western Australian Football League for True Westralian’s.

As a proud Westralian it hurts me to the bone when I hear people acknowledge West Coast as the epitome of Western Australian football. It kills me, it kills people who have even the slightest form of intelligence and it kills us Westralian’s with memories. West Coast is not what one would define as a football team in the conventional sense; West Coast is nothing more than a Victoria football Scheme designed to make money for the AFL. To put it in layman’s terms West Coast is a 'cash cow'. What shames me is why do Western Australians go for that team? Why did they jump on that showy model of Victorian football? And more importantly why do they jump so vigorously to defend West Coast? Why do the Western Australians who constantly complain of Victorian bias praise and praise the Victorian Eagles? Can't they see through this fake cash cow?

I believe that West Coast is morally wrong; it is a fact that supporting WCE is logically incorrect. It does not make sense to support a team that left the bloody carcass of the WAFL on the floor, it's simply not right. For starters football and indeed anything is about the past as the past defines who you are; to quote George Orwell 'those who control the past control the future'. This is very true about West Australian football, not one average Western Australian knows anything about local and WA footy. Infact they would know more about Victorian footy than West Australian footy. The History has been erased, according to some football does not predate 1986. West Coast now controls the future of footy in WA and with what job they've done in the past they surely can't be trusted.

Now many of you Western Australians who support the West Coast would claim that your team restored West Australian football to its former glory. Well you are incorrect. It would be true to say West Coast emplaced itself in glory but by saying Western Australia had glory thrusted upon it in 92 and 94 implies that something beneficial to the 'entire' state happened. Could it be that 92 and 94 were the end of football in WA, the day that money hammered the final nail in the WAFLs coffin? 92 and 94 are remembered as the day Western Australia beat the dirty vics. But could it be the day that the Victorians won a hollow victory? Yes, Yes and YES. Victoria won on 94 and 94. They won the battle they beat the WAFL, they beat Western Australia. If you actually look at the numbers it becomes crystal clear how many advantages West Coast had over the rest of the defunct VFL. To start off with draft concessions of which would be never be comprehended in modern day football, zone concessions of the most unfair description and money benefits from other dodgy organisations. This is a well known fact even West Coasters know this but yet they choose to ignore it as sneaky 'Victorian propaganda'. Well to that I have this simple hypothetical to answer. Its 1986, I’m a Western Australian I decide to get some Vics to enter a footy team in the WAFL because it will generate money for my dying comp, I decide to let the vic team be the only team allowed to draft out of its state, I also let that team draft out of other areas. I then get that team called the 'vics' to play against the local WAFL teams who are effectively suburban teams with a talent pool divided into 8 as opposed to Victorian talent divided by 1. Just out of interest how many premierships would that Vic team win? Sound familiar ,that’s the story of West Coast but reversed. It’s obvious that story is not falsified. It is true.

NB: Many of you will say the WAFL was dying but so was the VFL, The VFL was the first team to nationalise that is all.

WEST COAST AND WESTERN AUSTRLIANS: its obvious Infact, unavoidable that your team destroyed Western Australian football. The WAFL remains at the forefront choose a real comp over West Coast. You can see this now, many of you are going to see my point; some will agree infact all will. But you will chose not to think about it. Hoping to avoid it so it might not be true. But it is. The Western Australian Football League for True Westralian’s.

Someones worried. You have your club listed as Geelong. Wheres ya WAFL team?

I can't believe that you wasted all that time writing something that most people wont even read.

Someones worried. You have your club listed as Geelong. Wheres ya WAFL team?

You cant list your WAFL team on the actual Club it only has AFL teams. Its East Fremantle. I used to have it under other clubs but i dont where its gone. Please dont avoid the truth

Fair post.

I've always followed the Dons, and always thought the VFL was better than WAFL....

how hypocritical, you lamblast the AFL/VFL yet by looking at ur team and location, you fully support it and what it stands for. By saying you dont barrack for a "corporate team" you think you exclude yourself from supporting the system.

If the WAFL was setup to handle the inevitable push for us to have a national competition it would have prepared itself. The SANFL have and are prospering as the 2nd best league and the best state based league in the country. If u want to blame anyone for the state of the WAFL, blame the commissioners running the show when it fell apart.

Mate you are drawing a long bow there. You get up on your high horse and say not one West Australian knows anything about state and local football. Bit of a generalisation, perhaps? Maybe you're still bitter about what happened in 92 and 94. Perhaps you still wake up in a cold sweat when you see Matera gathering that ball on the half forward flank, 'setting sail for home with a long drop punt', and giving us a lead that we would not relinquish.

What's your beef with WA footy anyway? Boring day at the office?

Stop ya whinging. You sound like someone who is stuck in the past...
Football has greatly benefited from being nationalized.
I think you'll find that the majority of football fans would agree...
Did you ever think that all the state leagues would've died in the ass if this didn't happen? Or would you prefer football to be still be played in 3 separate state leagus in SA, VIC and WA?

If you actually look at the numbers it becomes crystal clear how many advantages West Coast had over the rest of the defunct VFL. To start off with draft concessions of which would be never be comprehended in modern day football, zone concessions of the most unfair description and money benefits from other dodgy organisations. This is a well known fact even West Coasters know this but yet they choose to ignore it as sneaky 'Victorian propaganda'

I want you to list these concessions and the players that were taken with them, please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would help if West Coast (and Fremantle) didn't have to fund the WAFL because the AFL are too stingy to.

Plus, we have a national comp now so who cares? People who want to support western australian football can do that. No one's stopping them.

So let me get this straight... the best way for West Australians to support West Australian football is to follow a Victorian club?

Dude, there are a few bolts loose in there.

The Western Australian Football League for True Westralian’s.

why cant we follow both and acknowledge the past is the past and nothing is ever going to be done to change what has happened.

I have both a East Freo and West Coast membership, so dont tell me that 'true' West Aussies only watch the WAFL becoz WTF are you doing supporting Geelong.

Nice attempt at diversion BC.

linga you shouldn't have expected any West Coast fans to be able to contribute to your well thought out and reasoned post.

"lol have a cry" pretty much sums up the average Weagle fans ability to argue.

now we know why you hate our club. cos you didnt like the way the wafl fell into 2nd grade.

Was that a swipe at me? Because yes I dont like WCE because of the way they destroyed the WAFL. You are a genius mate, and they said the IQ in the northern suburbs was lifting.

linga you shouldn't have expected any West Coast fans to be able to contribute to your well thought out and reasoned post.

Not really. Most know that Fremantle football club has killed the WAFL by diverting funds away from the WAFC to pay their own debts

Actually champ. All though I admit to sloppy typing on a crappy keyboard. You said the word referendum was questionable. Well champ, referenda is actually a word which is used to describe the process of referendum. Perhaps you should have listened back in those constitutional law lessons at Notre Dame.

Referenda is the plural of referendum (not 'a word which is used to describe the process of referendum' - 'referendum' or 'plebiscite' would be correct).

In which case you should have either said

"when the referendum was agreed upon"

or

"when the referenda were agreed upon",

not

"when the refrenda was agreed upon"

I'm not even touching on "how one agrees upon a referendum". :confused:

Your dad is a good bloke and very intelligent, it must have skipped a generation "champ".

WTF makes Freo being in the AFL any better than the Eagles, FFS i know everone hates us, but guys your clutching @ straws now.

If you were 'true' WAFL supporter you'd have your club as 'unlisted' and only post on the WAFL board, bloody hipocrites

Remove this Banner Ad

Back