An Inconvenient Truth About West Australian Football

Remove this Banner Ad

Dean Kemp was passed on by every club in the league Linga.

Face it, the Eagles and Bears saved heaps of Victorian clubs from going to the wall - totally bankrupt clubs were bailed out by a cash injection from WA and Queensland. Even the mighty pies were on the bones of their bums.

The Eagles represented the WAFL - don't you think it fair that we got the pick of the players WA produced?

When the Eagles came in it was a chance to support a team from WA, and most West Aussies loved it.

bingo!!!
coz you get to see a side that represents the whole state taking on the rest every week, West Aussies seem to be more proud to be West Aussie rather than "insert suburb name here" like the Vics.

Its great going up to Port Hedland and down to Esperance(and I've been to more places in the graet state than that) and have everyone talking about the same team, it builds up a great united us against them thing.

oh and Linga, from what I know nobody dares disregard the WAFL's rich history, it will always be remembered as WA's first footy, nobody is arragant or stupid enough to write of what a great comp the WAFL was.

I'm confused by this thread. I don't know all that much about the history of the WAFL or VFL for that matter, all I know is I enjoy supporting and following the team that best represents my geographical location - WCE. The footy is the most televised sport by far, and watching your team on the weekend with your mates while having some drinks is extremely enjoyable for all involved. I may not be the most die hard fan, but it's not like I started supporting some other random team when the eagles weren't doing well in the late 90s early 2000s. There is nothing really to expose me to the WAFL without going to games, and I just don't have the time or motivation to do that. So it makes most sense and brings most enjoyment to follow the Eagles.

Are you saying thats being disloyal to my state somehow?

If it wasnt for Eagles Fremantle Dockers and the WAFL would both be dead unfortunately

And if it wasn't for the WAFC, the Indian Pacific Pty Ltd West Coast Eagles Corporation would have been dead years ago.

I now present to you the past present AND future of West Australian Football!!!

ptfclogo.gif

There are no ifs about it; they are the club that is not only going to dominate the game for are actually contemplating getting in contact with George Bush to see how they'd both go at ruling the world together:thumbsu:

Look out world. Because there is just no stopping the all-powerful all-conquering THUNDER! :cool:

Any footy club with a rubber hammer in their club logo has got my support for life! :cool:

Peellogo.PNG

We are the Thunder
Football is the game
And winning is our aim
So cheer us on through the sun and rain
Cause Thunder, Thunder is our name.

Here in the Peel whether rain or fine
We can shine, all the time
All far away come see us play
You're welcome any day.

We are the Thunder
Football is the game
We're all together
And winning is our aim

Come to the club and we will welcome you
Wear your blue, and see us through
Sing loud and clear till the game is done
Sing Thunder everyone�..oh!

We are the Thunder
Football is the game
We're all together
And winning is our aim

We are the Thunder
Football is the game
We're all together
And winning is our aim

JF

PS:- No Peel Thunder, no Western Australian football, I say! :D
http://www.peelthunder.com.au/gallery/fan_photos.php

And if it wasn't for the WAFC, the Indian Pacific Pty Ltd West Coast Eagles Corporation would have been dead years ago.

If it wasn't for the Eagles footing the lions share of the bills to the WAFC when Freo were a basket case off field you would have been dead years ago as well.

Face it without help financially in times of trouble both WA clubs would have died a long time ago

I'm confused by this thread. I don't know all that much about the history of the WAFL or VFL for that matter, all I know is I enjoy supporting and following the team that best represents my geographical location - WCE. The footy is the most televised sport by far, and watching your team on the weekend with your mates while having some drinks is extremely enjoyable for all involved. I may not be the most die hard fan, but it's not like I started supporting some other random team when the eagles weren't doing well in the late 90s early 2000s. There is nothing really to expose me to the WAFL without going to games, and I just don't have the time or motivation to do that. So it makes most sense and brings most enjoyment to follow the Eagles.

Are you saying thats being disloyal to my state somehow?

No matey, Enjoy it. Winners are grinners , even though it's been like 43 years since we won a cup.

If it wasn't for the Eagles footing the lions share of the bills to the WAFC when Freo were a basket case off field you would have been dead years ago as well.

Face it without help financially in times of trouble both WA clubs would have died a long time ago

I realise that.

I just wanna make sure that people like Big Cox, who go on about the eagles being the sole saviours of WA footy, remember that it was WA footy that saved them from bankruptcy to start with.

Mind you if the AFL funded WA and SA footy like they do in Victoria our clubs wouldn't be under such financial pressure during times of trouble. Although it looks like we're past the stage of either club ever being in financial trouble again.

I realise that.

I just wanna make sure that people like Big Cox, who go on about the eagles being the sole saviours of WA footy, remember that it was WA footy that saved them from bankruptcy to start with.

Mind you if the AFL funded WA and SA footy like they do in Victoria our clubs wouldn't be under such financial pressure during times of trouble. Although it looks like we're past the stage of either club ever being in financial trouble again.

Which is a good thing.

I'd much rather have both team being able to survive on their own two feet and not dependent on handouts the way some of the Victorian teams have gone.

To be fair to Linga... I do kind of symapthise with half his brain.

From the youtube
The year is 1986 and the game is flat broke and in serious trouble on both sides of the continent. 6 of the VFL's 12 clubs are technically bankrupt with 7 of the 8 WAFL clubs in the same pitiful financial state. National expansion looms as the only option to save these two proud bastions of Australian Rules Football.

That last sentence when edited for accuracy should read - "National Expansion looms as the only option to save the more important bastion of Australian Rules Football while the other gets left as an amatuer league where you can park your car on the boundary."

Make no mistake, WA was reamed hard in the early days. Linga is right to be upset, he is just channeling it the wrong way. Perhaps the WAFL & WC should have been more resistant, like the south australians. ... pushed more for equality in the foundations of the new league. But still, it was an enticing carrot for footy nuts and there was lots of drive, money and starry eyes back then.

Dont get mad at WC for eating the poisoned apple... that was human nature. Get mad at the devil that dangled it with no regard for the consequences to "the other" bastion of Australian Rules Football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which is a good thing.

I'd much rather have both team being able to survive on their own two feet and not dependent on handouts the way some of the Victorian teams have gone.

Definitely. I don't mean the AFL should fund Freo and WC. I'm talking about the WAFL.

I just find it bemusing that the national competition rakes in hundreds of millions for the AFL, which they then use to fund Vic state footy while telling Freo/WC and Crows/Port that they have to fund their own state leagues themselves.

As a proud Westralian it hurts me to the bone when I hear people acknowledge West Coast as the epitome of Western Australian football. It kills me, it kills people who have even the slightest form of intelligence and it kills us Westralian’s with memories. West Coast is not what one would define as a football team in the conventional sense; West Coast is nothing more than a Victoria football Scheme designed to make money for the AFL. To put it in layman’s terms West Coast is a 'cash cow'. What shames me is why do Western Australians go for that team? Why did they jump on that showy model of Victorian football? And more importantly why do they jump so vigorously to defend West Coast? Why do the Western Australians who constantly complain of Victorian bias praise and praise the Victorian Eagles? Can't they see through this fake cash cow?

I believe that West Coast is morally wrong; it is a fact that supporting WCE is logically incorrect. It does not make sense to support a team that left the bloody carcass of the WAFL on the floor, it's simply not right. For starters football and indeed anything is about the past as the past defines who you are; to quote George Orwell 'those who control the past control the future'. This is very true about West Australian football, not one average Western Australian knows anything about local and WA footy. Infact they would know more about Victorian footy than West Australian footy. The History has been erased, according to some football does not predate 1986. West Coast now controls the future of footy in WA and with what job they've done in the past they surely can't be trusted.

Now many of you Western Australians who support the West Coast would claim that your team restored West Australian football to its former glory. Well you are incorrect. It would be true to say West Coast emplaced itself in glory but by saying Western Australia had glory thrusted upon it in 92 and 94 implies that something beneficial to the 'entire' state happened. Could it be that 92 and 94 were the end of football in WA, the day that money hammered the final nail in the WAFLs coffin? 92 and 94 are remembered as the day Western Australia beat the dirty vics. But could it be the day that the Victorians won a hollow victory? Yes, Yes and YES. Victoria won on 94 and 94. They won the battle they beat the WAFL, they beat Western Australia. If you actually look at the numbers it becomes crystal clear how many advantages West Coast had over the rest of the defunct VFL. To start off with draft concessions of which would be never be comprehended in modern day football, zone concessions of the most unfair description and money benefits from other dodgy organisations. This is a well known fact even West Coasters know this but yet they choose to ignore it as sneaky 'Victorian propaganda'. Well to that I have this simple hypothetical to answer. Its 1986, I’m a Western Australian I decide to get some Vics to enter a footy team in the WAFL because it will generate money for my dying comp, I decide to let the vic team be the only team allowed to draft out of its state, I also let that team draft out of other areas. I then get that team called the 'vics' to play against the local WAFL teams who are effectively suburban teams with a talent pool divided into 8 as opposed to Victorian talent divided by 1. Just out of interest how many premierships would that Vic team win? Sound familiar ,that’s the story of West Coast but reversed. It’s obvious that story is not falsified. It is true.

NB: Many of you will say the WAFL was dying but so was the VFL, The VFL was the first team to nationalise that is all.

WEST COAST AND WESTERN AUSTRLIANS: its obvious Infact, unavoidable that your team destroyed Western Australian football. The WAFL remains at the forefront choose a real comp over West Coast. You can see this now, many of you are going to see my point; some will agree infact all will. But you will chose not to think about it. Hoping to avoid it so it might not be true. But it is. The Western Australian Football League for True Westralian’s.

Wow, what a rant. Very moronic, but then most rants are. Please explain, how you would start a football club back in the 1980s, in WA.

How would you fill the team list, how would you get the money and how would you get the staff to coach the club?

You seem to think that they did something amazingly underhanded and cheap while starting the club?

Your whole argument is full of holes.

Would you really rather us have the SANFL, WAFL and VFL still running in their separate states? Would you like to see kids from the states where football is less popular, playing in some minor league (or having to choose between the larger leagues). Also what would their reasons be to play football, there would not be any money in it.

All of this comes from having an AUSTRALIAN football league, which is a national competition. A larger supporter base, more funds and a centralized place where the talented players can compete.

Poor form.. :thumbsdown:

Wow, even I didn't know it was that difficault. They did an awesome job didn't they. I'm also glad they chose the name West Coast, rather than something incorporating "Perth".

The WAFL clubs (although we took some players) and also VFL (took our money and players!) were being absolute #$%$ers to us. :eek:

WTF makes Freo being in the AFL any better than the Eagles, FFS i know everone hates us, but guys your clutching @ straws now.

If you were 'true' WAFL supporter you'd have your club as 'unlisted' and only post on the WAFL board, bloody hipocrites

The OP makes some excellent points, but it is a losing battle. It does seem a shame that AFL/VFL history has totally supplanted WAFL football history. I've seen some videos of Grand Finals from the 70s and early 80s and it looked awesome. A similar thing has happened in SA but there is still a loyal following and crowds are more than twice what you'd get at a WAFL game. There was an interesting anecdote of the kid who went to the Glenelg club rooms and wanted to know where the picture of Jack Dyer was. Sad.

I don't think he is a hypocrite at all for following an AFL team as well as his local club. Although I am a Fremantle supporter, my first team is and always will be Sturt.

I would have kept out of this one if I were a Sydney fan mate.

Remember, the team you follow is OWNED by the AFL :)

An AFL franchise created in the early 80s purely to take money off bandwaggoning Sydney yuppies. Then they hand said franchise a grand final win with salary cap consessions to increase the franchise's profile in the growth markets

You always sprout out the same crap. I've had enough and i am going to campaign to have you banished for good. Your nothing but a troll who fabricates crap to get a reaction. I am so surprised one of bigfootys biggest trolls has not been banned!

You always sprout out the same crap. I've had enough and i am going to campaign to have you banished for good. Your nothing but a troll who fabricates crap to get a reaction. I am so surprised one of bigfootys biggest trolls has not been banned!

You've only been here since 6 August and you're reacting like this? No wonder you've already been carded little fella. Just take a chill pill and relax, this is BF after all.

Since 1986, which WAFL clubs have ceased to exist? None, in fact one new team has been created. The WAFL is still the premier state football competition of Western Australia, what it was designed to be. No one is suggesting it is as strong as it was in days gone by, but how strong is the SANFL compared to its glory days, or the (current) VFL?

A national competition was always going to happen. In hindsight an A-league type model for a new competition would have saved us the problems we are seeing now, but that is the beauty of hindsight. If an existing competition was going to expand nationally, it was always going to be the one with the biggest population base behind it.

I'd like to know what the critics of West Coast (and there are one or two I've noticed;)) think should have happened in the 80's? Leave things as is so the WAFL dies? Apply for 1 or 2 WAFL clubs to enter the VFL leaving the other 6 to play in an even weaker WAFL?

I think WA footy did what it had to do and got it right. WA clubs in a national competition a tier above the WAFL with all WAFL clubs remaining intact is more preferable than a few joining a new competition and prospering while the others wither away and die, IMO.

In 1986 the WAFL was probably getting on aggregate 20,000 people to attend a weekend of Football in WA. 4 games at an average of about 5,000. If you were lucky

Going No-Where.

The Glory days of the WAFL 60 & 70's was probably twice that figure.

The VFL was always the league to aspire to. Who remembers every Sunday watching 'THE WINNERS' with Drew Morphett ?? It was massive. You were able to keep an eye on ex WAFL Footballers from any club, no matter who your WAFL club was. You wanted them to do well. I think we all claimed Stan Magro as our own when he cleaned up Jezza !!

From this North Melbourne, Hawthorn and Carlton who were the succesfull clubs at that time produced a Large supporter base in WA. .. and a Lot of people I know still support their team - me included.

NOW WA Football gets 60,000 people attending 'Local Football Each week'. 45,000 to the Eagles or Dockers and 15,000 ( pushing it) to the 4 WAFL games.

I beleive this is the best formula for growing WA Football.

Lastly .... if it wasn't for Country Footballers playing in the WAFL , the WAFL would be dead NOW !!

There was an interesting anecdote of the kid who went to the Glenelg club rooms and wanted to know where the picture of Jack Dyer was. Sad.
I remember working at an SFL Premier League game in Hobart a few years ago, and this young kid rode his bike into the ground, and parked in front of where I was, and he said he didn't realise they played football here.
He said he thought that there was only one football team in Tassie called the Devils. :eek:
I remember taking one of my nephews from the country to a football game about 6 or 7 years back, he was only a kid, and when we took him to the game at Cygnet he was very disappointed because he thought that the ground (and all grounds) would be like the AFL grounds on TV.
What hope has it got, honestly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back