cannons

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2005
Location, Location
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal
I took this piece of writing from Mark Stevens' assessment of Melbourne's current situation in the AFL 09 liftout from today's paper:

If the Dees win four or fewer games this season and finish last they will claim picks No.1 and No.2 in the national draft.

With a Gold Coast team coming, that is a golden opportunity that could lay the platform for a Hawthorn-like revival.

I'm interested in how people perceive this comment. A golden opportunity to lose for the vast majority of the season in order to gain quality draft picks.

Is this the case?
Is it an insulting suggestion?

I would be interested to see what you think, as in some sense, it is a reletively rational approach to the situation, but in another sense it goes against every objective/foundation that relates to playing competitive sport.

I want to see us win as many games as possible, and be as competitive as possible. After the horror show of 2008, it is important that the club finds its feet again, and shows some significant on-field improvement. That means more wins, less drubbings, and more competitiveness.

I will be disappointed if we get the #1 and #2 picks, because that will mean that we've hardly improved at all.

I would love picks 1 and 2.. but we will win 5 or 6 games at least this season.
Besides it more important for us to be competitive and win games... mentally the boys don't wanna finish last again.

I'd never advocate losing a game on purpose, or going into a season hoping to be down the bottom again; and I personally hate the mentality.

If it happens, it happens. The idea of anyone hoping for it just shits me to tears.

as mentioned above, i'd hate for us to show so little improvement that we qualify for a priority pick. i'd wanna sing the song at the end of games

Mark Stevens is a ****wit! Did anyone see the bit in the article about riv being 2003 rising star??

Do your ****ing research Stevens!! Riv won it in 04, if memory serves me correct sammy mitchell picked it up in 2003.

I'll be ******* pissed if I only see us win 3 or 4 times, I couldnt take watching us lose 18-19 times in the one season again.

Sure it'd be nice to pick up picks 1 and 2 but I'd rather see them try their hearts out, even if it results in 5 wins and I honestly think we have more than that in us anyway.

I took this piece of writing from Mark Stevens' assessment of Melbourne's current situation in the AFL 09 liftout from today's paper:

I'm interested in how people perceive this comment. A golden opportunity to lose for the vast majority of the season in order to gain quality draft picks.

Is this the case?
Is it an insulting suggestion?

I would be interested to see what you think, as in some sense, it is a reletively rational approach to the situation, but in another sense it goes against every objective/foundation that relates to playing competitive sport.

It is not an insult more an observation as to were he feels we will finish this year.

as mentioned above, i'd hate for us to show so little improvement that we qualify for a priority pick. i'd wanna sing the song at the end of games

I hope we don't, but win, lose or draw I am really looking forward to watching the youngest team in the league build.

It is not that we will show only a "little" improvement from the way we played in 08, rather we have a huge gap to bridge so to at least be closer to teams this year & get 4-6 wins will be a step forward.

I hope we get 8 wins but it will be tough.

That is spot on! look a Geelong, Collingwood as much as I hate Collingwood, two examples they have not loaded up on number 1,2,3 draft picks and going all right

True, Collingwood are going alrite, but they do not have a premiership team ATM and i can see them sliding down the ladder in the next couple of years. And with the GC coming into the competition it is really not a good time to be bottoming out. So it could be a while before we see Collingwood win a premiership, where as the mighty demons will try to pick up some good youth, to make " A REAL TILT" at the holy grail in 4-7 years.

I'm not advocating the draft pick route, but if our club finishes on 5-6 wins this season that is the worst outcome.
7+ wins is fantastic and I'd be over the moon.
4 or less wins is sh1t but at least we will pick up 3 of the top 17/18 youngsters in the country which would go a long way to solving our midfield/forward problems.
5-6 wins gets us 2 picks in the top 20 instead of 3 in the top 17/18 and doesn't really build a 'winning culture either. A 25% win rate is not a winning culture.

I'm not advocating the draft pick route, but if our club finishes on 5-6 wins this season that is the worst outcome.
7+ wins is fantastic and I'd be over the moon.
4 or less wins is sh1t but at least we will pick up 3 of the top 17/18 youngsters in the country which would go a long way to solving our midfield/forward problems.
5-6 wins gets us 2 picks in the top 20 instead of 3 in the top 17/18 and doesn't really build a 'winning culture either. A 25% win rate is not a winning culture.

That sums it up perfectly. I think we might be able to surprise a few, and pick up 8 or so wins - that would be a fantastic effort. If not, I'd rather us finish with 4 or less wins, assuming we are more competitive across the board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be spectacularly disappointed if we ever tanked.

If we get picks #1 and #2 then great, but we've had a bad season. :thumbsdown:

Its to early to be worried about tanking. Lets just focus on winning as many games as possible, if we succeed we succeed, if we lose we lose, lets just play it as it comes and focus on round 1, only a week!!

Thank Christ this board isn't filled with pro-tanking supporters. :thumbsu:
Too early to start tanking but when we reach double figures (quickly) in terms of losses, Tank like there is no tomorrow.

And tanking is "managing your list" and "giving your kids a go" and "Playing Meesen".

Everyone here is saying they are anti-tank, but in what context? If we were 4-17 at round 21, would you be hoping for a win in round 22? I highly doubt it.

Everyone here is saying they are anti-tank, but in what context? If we were 4-17 at round 21, would you be hoping for a win in round 22? I highly doubt it.
I promise you now, in that exact circumstance, I would want a win.

I will not deny that if we were in that position i would be so pro-tank it's not funny.
Why should the players even turn up then?

What motivation should they have to play, if even the supporters want them to lose a game, to basically throw it.

What motivation should they have to play, if even the supporters want them to lose a game, to basically throw it.
Play a young, inexperienced side. Anybody who had to go off for minor off season surgery gets an extra week off. Honorouble loss, hopefully.

The lure of pick 1 and 2 in the last uncompromised draft is too great, tanking will be a MASSIVE issue come August 2009.

Because it means that someone like a Spencer, Grimes, Maric, Blease, Watts etc. would be able to learn from experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back