An interesting statement from Mark Stevens

Remove this Banner Ad

I promise you now, in that exact circumstance, I would want a win.
4-17 and you want to win. What are you smoking? That ideology will hurt MFC's future and slow the rebuild.

We've got holes everywhere and we need as much top talent as we can pick.

4-17 and go for a win. Stupidity at it best and def slitting your own wrists stuff.

In fact I don't care if we put 22 John Meesens out there and get flogged by 200 pts in rd 22. Pick 1 + 2 are up for grabs and you want ur jollies tickled for one meaningless game. Selfish.

4-17 and you want to win. What are you smoking? That ideology will hurt MFC's future and slow the rebuild.

4-17 and go for a win. Stupidity at it best and def slitting your own wrists stuff.

In fact I don't care if we put 22 John Meesens out there and get flogged by 200 pts in rd 22. Pick 1 + 2 are up for grabs and you want ur jollies tickled for one meaningless game. Selfish.

Pride, honour and dedication >>>>>>>> Draft picks

You call it selfish I call it loving your club.

Win at all costs and fighting till the final siren goes is the attitude that our club needs to adopt, not putting all our faith into a couple of draft picks.

Pride, honour and dedication >>>>>>>> Draft picks

You call it selfish I call it loving your club.

Win at all costs and fighting till the final siren goes is the attitude that our club needs to adopt, not putting all our faith into a couple of draft picks.

this

Look in the mirror mate, you think its selfish to win one game yet its ok to lose one game to get an extra draft pick?

The draft is a lottery, what if the extra draft pick we get by winning only 4 games turns out to be injury prone like scott gumbleton and cant get on the park? Wouldnt that hurt the rebuild aswell?

I havent payed over $400 for a membership and didnt donate $750 to the debt demolition to go and watch my team have an "honourable loss" so they can get an extra draft pick!

I believe we have the ability to win 7 games this year so I am praying to baby jesus that happens, the first of those 7 being against the Roos Rnd 1 :D

We are still very young, I honestly don't see us winning more than 5 games. I just hope to see some improvement and new additions to the club.

The draft is a lottery, what if the extra draft pick we get by winning only 4 games turns out to be injury prone like scott gumbleton and cant get on the park? Wouldnt that hurt the rebuild aswell?

I havent payed over $400
Rubbish. If the draft is so much like the lottery, wouldn't you want as many balls in the "lottery" to ensure you get a good one.

Good for you for paying 400 but we aren't talking about tanking all season but ensuring we make the most of our opportunities when we are 4-17. We are carp at the moment, use the system to your best advantage.

As for those who can't acept losing mentality blah blah blah. Loving your club blah blah blah. Did the Carlton game rd 22 07 give the team 'a Win at all costs and fight till the final siren' mentality in 08. No cause its bullsh.

I would be interested to know how many posters who disagree with me are also the ones who complain about how we don't have an elite player in the comp.

We've lost Nicknat, let's not be stupid again. Let's see how many of you would sign up with Watts and Niknat on the membership card.

Rubbish. If the draft is so much like the lottery, wouldn't you want as many balls in the "lottery" to ensure you get a good one.

Good for you for paying 400 but we aren't talking about tanking all season but ensuring we make the most of our opportunities when we are 4-17. We are carp at the moment, use the system to your best advantage.

As for those who can't acept losing mentality blah blah blah. Loving your club blah blah blah. Did the Carlton game rd 22 07 give the team 'a Win at all costs and fight till the final siren' mentality in 08. No cause its bullsh.

I would be interested to know how many posters who disagree with me are also the ones who complain about how we don't have an elite player in the comp.

We've lost Nicknat, let's not be stupid again. Let's see how many of you would sign up with Watts and Niknat on the membership card.

Couldn't give a stuff about who is on the membership card and neither should anyone else, should be buying them no matter what's on them.

I'm glad we beat Carlton otherwise we wouldn't have wound up with Morton and I'd prefer Morton to Kreuzer.

Id be happy with 5 wins over 4. More wins the better. I know it means sacrificing picks 1 and 2 but really if we are bottom 4 again thats at least another top 4 pick.

I really can't understand how anyone would be happy with 5 wins this year over 4.

Butcher and Scully would go a long way to securing a premiership for Melbourne in the future, they are two of the exact players we need. Amazing midfield class and a big power forward in one hit.

If we are 4-17 and you want to win, you are pretty much saying:
'Hey, we have pick one, two and eighteen here, how about i trade you pick two and pick eighteen for pick seventeen? In return i will have a meaningless win in round 22 against St Kilda.'

Winning culture is also a bullshit argument. There is no culture of winning to be gained from finishing 5-17 over 4-18. Melbourne won against Carlton in 2007, look at that amazing winning culture we achieved from that win compared to Carlton who have sunk to new lo..oh wait. There is no pride to be gained from finishing 5-17 over 4-18. If anything, it would make us the laughing stock of the football world (if we werent already)

If having a s**t season means we get the two best players in the country then I can live with that. I just hope we are more competitive than we were last year. If we dont make the eight I would rather us bottom out and rebuild with great picks than finish 13th or 14th with 6 or 7 wins. The whole aim is to build a side that is there on the last day of september, not one that treads water and is consistenly average.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its pretty funny how everyone in the media thought it would be a disaster to win more than 4 games this year, but now we are making sure we dont and we are tanking. Cant win really.

I remember reading this.

Just goes to prove how ****ed up the media is. At the start of the season they encourage us to tank. Then when we are in a position to take advantage of the system, like they instructed us to do, we are the assholes of the AFL because we are 'tanking'. And suddenly an early 20 year old developing player on a developing list that is obviously going through a rebuilding process, who is playing in a different position is a move to sabotage an entire season.

Even when we come within an after the siren kick (that shouldnt of even happened anyway because that was bullshit) of beating a side when we had players out of position all over the place, we asre accused heavily of tanking. It's absolute bullshit,

We can win this battle though. We can keep playing as normal, because generally our normal effort is never enough. Then we will get Picks 1 and 2. And in a few years we will be a powerhouse, and I can guartentee everyone would of forgotten about the accusations of tanking and be praising our quick rise to the top once again, ala Hawthorn.

It's the way the media works.

It's also amusing how so many opposition fans, who have been compulsively writing our club and every single player in our team off all year, are suddenly expecting us to win every match we play, even with only half our best team available, and are accusing us of shady doings if we don't... :rolleyes:

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree Proka! :thumbsu:

It would be truly disappointing if certain people had changed their previously-stated opinions on this subject since the time when the thread was first created, wouldn't it... :cool:

It would be truly disappointing if certain people had changed their previously-stated opinions on this subject since the time when the thread was first created, wouldn't it... :cool:

I'll put my hand up and say that I went from the vehement anti-tank brigade to accepting of the need for it.

But the difference is if we went out and won two more I'd get over it and move on, not throw myself off a cliff and call for everyone's head.

Rabble! Rabble!

preview_image_thumbnail.php

(No riots planned Merc, I promise... :p)

I'll put my hand up and say that I went from the vehement anti-tank brigade to accepting of the need for it.

But the difference is if we went out and won two more I'd get over it and move on, not throw myself off a cliff and call for everyone's head.
I wouldn't just call for everyones head, i would probably suicide bomb the joint.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back