An offer he can't refuse

Remove this Banner Ad

Pyke went there and spoke to Day and another player Jack Martin IIRC. Martin at least was civil, Day not so much. It was reported/speculated on the media concerning Martin but they made a point of reporting Day's attitude. Again IIRC Martin was OOC the following season.
Links? I don't remember this at all.

Now is not the time to do this...

What i would do.. address the culture... try and sort out the wheat from the chaff with the young kids we have... then put in a footy department that can attract the talent...

Then with the $$$ i would go buy some good players

Links- mate I can't remember just something read probably on afl.com. It doesn't really matter but the gist of it was Day was not interested in returning to Adelaide at all. Loved it on the GC. His language was not civil, that part has stayed with me.
Probably says as much about him if he wasn't civil than AFC

You're smarter than me if you could have predicted the shitshow Gibbs has turned into, whilst I was no fan of what we eventually gave up for him I had expected at least 2 or 3 years of decent footy from him. I certainly wouldn't have predicted how far his once excellent kicking skills have deteriorated.

When that deal was done it's fair to expect we'll finish no worse than 6th, Carlton bottom 4 and Gibbs would give us 3 decent years as an outside midfielder. If we were near the bottom, you jog on, but we'd just played in a GF and had excellent draft currency due to departing players. I think many overrated Gibbs as being some kind of borderline elite a grader. But at the time, it was a reasonable decision to make and the deal not that bad. A bit overs, but not as much at the time as has been proven in hindsight.

We must be.

Add that there are supporters that think average will somehow turn to elite.

Gut feel is that we pay based on years served. I expect Sloane's yearly rate through this contract to be his highest despite really only 2 years at anything near his peak football. I reckon the result is that when clubs offer younger players a contract based on expected future value, we can't get close, even if we wanted to. But we don't pay on potential, you need to earn all your dues at our club. Contracts included.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rankine. Just do it. I would be happy with our first pick traded for him. He had such a huge presence on the field and is more thsn just your typical small forward.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why would the Suns agree to trading Rankine for a draft pick when they have put in a lot of time already into his rehab and also signed him to a longer term deal ??

Reading through this thread, I keep seeing posters suggest that the Crows should be dropping a truckload of cash in front of certain opposition players to entice them over. Not only is it suggested the club should be using 'future' cap space, some of the names offered are nothing more than wingers & half-forward flankers.

First of all, it would be a crazy business strategy by your club to use up all that future cap space when no-one can accurately predict what the future holds. In fact a couple of those sorts of deals could hamstring your club even longer if it all goes pear-shaped. Then the people who are suggesting the club should embark on this plan will be the same ones who will be scathing on how s**t the administration of the club is etc.

Secondly, if you are going to plop $1mill in front of a player, then it has to be for a bone-fide match-winner (e.g. Franklin, Grundy), not a young mid or small forward who still hasn't reached their zenith. You pay the big money for a proven player, not on potential or on wing & a prayer.

By the way, players don't jump ship just for money these days so finishing last and having a shed-load of negative press all year aren't going to be strong selling points to any potential big name player.

Right now, your club needs to deal with the older players & the potential non-events already on the list before they go out to the market place. There are issues there, you all know it, it's been discussed ad-nauseum on here. Once an in-depth review and plan of action has been established, only then can you move into the next phase.

Added to that, you may end up with a gaggle of handy draft picks at the end of the season but this draft looks extremely compromised so a lot of those picks may end up being not as prosperous as originally thought.

Take those picks to the market place and try and turn them into ready-made players. Some of the clubs with academy players will be keen to snaffle some extra picks so they can thwart any early bids on their players.

Fair points.

I imagine all of our actual drafting will be finished by pick 20, so I'm not that concerned by the compromised nature of the draft as there's maybe only three NGA picks in the first 20.

We shouldn't be throwing money at anyone yet, other than perhaps to get someone to nominate for the PSD, and even then it would only be $450k and a Hately type. If we pick up some ready-made players, they'll either be young and cheap (Valente, Sparrow), or older and on short term contracts (Graham, Dunstan).

Our focus needs to be clearing salary by the end of 2021. By then we would have cleared Brad and Matt Crouch, Laird, Lynch, Seedsman, Walker, Gibbs, Atkins - that's a minimum $4m off the salary cap. We should add seven or eight top 25 picks in the next two drafts. We probably have eight to ten players that we're very confident would be part of a successful future side.

Then we can return to the Free Agent marketplace. But first we have to fix some board positions, make a massive investment in our coaching and development staff, and solve our training facilities. It's actually a ridiculous amount that still needs to be done, considering we're a wealthy and historically successful club, but at least we've started - and 2020 is a dumpster fire, even without our stuffups.

Gut feel is that we pay based on years served. I expect Sloane's yearly rate through this contract to be his highest despite really only 2 years at anything near his peak football. I reckon the result is that when clubs offer younger players a contract based on expected future value, we can't get close, even if we wanted to. But we don't pay on potential, you need to earn all your dues at our club. Contracts included.

I think we also had the challenge recently of a bunch of players at around 25 to 29, which is when they would be at maximum contract value. As we shed those this year and next year, we'll open up a lot of salary.

Plus - you have to be at 95% every year and we WOULD have salary opening up every year even if no one ultimately chooses us. Assuming your list is mostly on three year contracts, it means a third of the list comes out of contract every year, and you COULD have as much as $4m opening up every year, depending on who is finishing up.

We just rarely seem to throw money around to attyract players. I guess there's probably a few reasons why, including being hyper-sensitive around retaining players.

I think we also had the challenge recently of a bunch of players at around 25 to 29, which is when they would be at maximum contract value. As we shed those this year and next year, we'll open up a lot of salary.

Plus - you have to be at 95% every year and we WOULD have salary opening up every year even if no one ultimately chooses us. Assuming your list is mostly on three year contracts, it means a third of the list comes out of contract every year, and you COULD have as much as $4m opening up every year, depending on who is finishing up.

We just rarely seem to throw money around to attyract players. I guess there's probably a few reasons why, including being hyper-sensitive around retaining players.

At least now we find ourselves in the luxurious position of having very few players worth retaining.

Be interested to know who posters think our top 5 players are salary-wise... Is there anybody on that list likely to edge into retirement and free up some space...?

Be interested to know who posters think our top 5 players are salary-wise... Is there anybody on that list likely to edge into retirement and free up some space...?
Sloane, Talia, Walker .. Crouch's, Gibbs

Wouldn't be surprised if Walker retires at the end of the year, has mentioned he's been thinking about it. Maybe Gibbs could be another

Sloane, Talia, Walker .. Crouch's, Gibbs

Wouldn't be surprised if Walker retires at the end of the year, has mentioned he's been thinking about it. Maybe Gibbs could be another
Yeah they were my thinking too, perhaps including Lynch (for reasons unknown) rather than Brad. With a couple of those retiring or traded it would a pretty promising start if we did want to open the chequebook to some emerging talent...

Yeah they were my thinking too, perhaps including Lynch (for reasons unknown) rather than Brad. With a couple of those retiring or traded it would a pretty promising start if we did want to open the chequebook to some emerging talent...
There was talk on here a few years ago that had Brad on between $6-650K. I doubt either Lynch or Gibbs would be on that much. Wouldn't be surprised if Matt was though. Who really knows though, after reading Rucci's article and Jenkins being offered a 5 year contract (although only initially seeking 4), our past player payments and list management is bewildering.

The only reason I can think Jenkins was offered the longer deal is because it was on slightly less money? Again, who knows

Remove this Banner Ad

Back