Prediction An open letter

Remove this Banner Ad

cmt26

Team Captain
Feb 17, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
An open letter to the Brisbane Lions AFC

I am a long time supporter of the Lions, a Victorian, an ex Roy who stuck it out and had his first fond memory of his amalgamated team, when they defeated the Blues in a Qualifying final in the late 90's.

I've seen the good times, as we were regarded as one of the greatest teams of the modern era and I've watched that greatness slowly decay over the past decade into the rot that has beset our club. I've seen false dawns based on young players who we expected to become stars (see Todd Banfield, Rhan Hooper & Matt Moody) & I've seen us make a play to squeeze one last premiership out of our ageing stars (The Fevolution). However I've never quite felt the way that I feel today.

I feel tired. I feel exhausted.

The 60 point beltings that have been occurring far too frequently over the past 3 years. As a fan, it takes a toll when every week, you have an expected outcome - every week the final margin will lie somewhere between 40 & 90 points and make no doubt about it. We will be on the wrong side of that margin.

We tell fans to Get to The Gabba - but if the club ask them to turn up, then all the fans ask is that the players turn up too. After our past few years, no wonder we must think of novel ways to attract new members.

Each pre-season, I gather hope that things will start to turn. Maybe Daniel Rich will take the next step and become a consistent performer? Maybe Tom Cutler will have a breakout year and establish himself as a young star? Maybe one of these talented draftees will make a real difference (Schache, Keays, Hipwood & Mathieson).

But alas by Round 6, I can stop bothering with the win loss column and hope that they play the kids and we see some development of our players.
That in itself is the saddest part, rather than taking an interest in the results, I hope that we will remain near the foot of the ladder. A bye team for those who play us. Hoping that another season of rubbish football may deliver us a talented young footballer who will help steer the ship back up the ladder.

Make no mistake, we are at the level of Melbourne in 2011. Cannon fodder for whichever team we face.

Where to start on the debacle that is our football club.

The list. A shambled assortment of underperforming senior players, unfulfilled potential & a scattering of talented youngsters.

We have 7 senior players who are at an AFL standard. Rockliff, Bastinac, Zorko, Martin, D.Beams, Hanley & Christensen. Thank god for Zorko this season, he is well & truly our Nathan Jones. The only player who is giving a Yelp in our annus horribilis.

Consider the following list of senior players.
Lester, Bell, Harwood, Robinson, Bewick, Walker, C.Beams, Merrett, Green & Rich. Some are less talented, but possess more determination & will. And some are the other way around. They have all been in the AFL system long enough - our football club has failed some of these players and some of these players have failed themselves. These are the players we need to be relying on for leadership & consistent strong performance. However they are sorely lacking in both departments. They are the rotting guts of our football club's on field performance. Players who have been getting a game on promise for far too long and rarely delivering.

The youth. The one thing that us fans regularly champion. But just how good is it? How many of these young players can we say are destined for stardom. Maybe 2?
Schache & Andrews.
Outside of the above, we do have young talent, but nowhere near the level of some of the rising stars scattered throughout the competition. The forward line looks close to set, with Freeman & Schache holding down the key posts. The backline also looks set to grow, Andrews, McStay & Hipwood all looking like long term prospects. I see the plan - build the spine first & add the midfield later. It's nice to have a plan, especially after those years in the wilderness between 09 & 13. Maybe I'll take solace in that.

So where do we look to next. The draft. The academy continues to bear fruit, Allison, Watson & Rolls with Ballenden to come in 2017. Sad isn't it, that us fans have to hang their hopes on the prospects to come. That we spend more time researching the under 18 Queensland team than we do paying attention to our team losing another fixture. A focus on a draft a mere 18 months in the future & players that are at least 5 years away from being capable senior footballers.

The coach. Favourite son turned coach delivers unfavourable results. Where have I heard that before?

Can he actually coach? I don't know. And we won't find out. In 18 months, we will be spruiking a new senior coach. The club will roll out the token line - really impressed in his interviews & experience etc etc. However, he too will be doomed by the poor playing list that he inherits. People continue make comparisons to how Carlton & the Bulldogs have turned it around so quickly with new coaches. Remember their playing lists are significantly difference to ours, featuring either talented youngsters or senior AFL players who are close to elite. Melbourne is our blueprint and we have many years of pain to come.

The gameplan. Is the gameplan good? Again, I don't know. What I do know is that we do not have the skill to execute it. Too often we turn the ball over. By hand or by foot. Basic skill execution. It leaves our defenders out of position and embarrassed as opposition players walk into open goals. State league players have higher skill execution than some of our players. Our players that are full time footballers. It's not to much to ask for them to hit a stationary target 20 metres away under no pressure, or maybe it is.

Now we turn our focus to the club itself.
Facilities that are comparable to a local football club in Victoria. Tick.
Crippling debt. Tick.
Ongoing welfare issues resulting in 6 (soon to be 7) players walking out on the club. Tick.
We have known about these issues for a long period of time, yet they still remain. I do understand that we are making progress, however it's quite difficult to swallow that none of these issues have been rectified over the past 5 years.

I am tired of the rotting corpse of the Brisbane Lions football club. The club makes media releases on how improvement is just around the corner. The reality is that the mistakes won't go away overnight. We will keep making them and we will keep losing by 60 points. There is no quick fix for an inexperienced list that is jam packed full of list cloggers & turnover merchants.

We will be in hospital on a drip for many years to come, a change of coach won't change anything. New facilities and new faces will help. Ultimately time will be our healer.

Whether I can stomach that wait is another question altogether.

069656-cdbe47d0-f748-11e2-8a27-d52f6ab604f5.jpg

"It's never as good as it feels or never as bad as it seems"...

An open letter to the Brisbane Lions AFC

I am a long time supporter of the Lions, a Victorian, an ex Roy who stuck it out and had his first fond memory of his amalgamated team, when they defeated the Blues in a Qualifying final in the late 90's.
All I want to do, all I have wanted for the past three years, is go to the Gabba when we are playing another cellar dweller team and see a game of equals. Same level of skill (or lack of), same injury problems, same poor list - there are teams out there that are, on paper, our equals. We should be competitive, but we fail and I share your sentiment - it's exhausting.

Yes, I know there are games like Sydney and even the miracle on grass but they don't make up for the pain of the Collingwood game.

I can sort of see where cmt26 is coming from here. I don't necessarily agree with his post in its entirety, but I sure as hell get the sentiment being delivered.

There are some keys words there. I used to actually feel exasperated by the Lions. Exasperated that we weren't turning the corner but should have been, or exasperated when we lose to a team that we should actually look to beat, or exasperated when we should be reasonably competitive against a team but instead cop a hiding. But it's been happening for so long now, and so often, that I'm not not actually exasperated by it any more. It's just getting more and more difficult to be emotionally attached to it, and that in itself is tiring. There is a level of defeatist about it that I haven't seen in Footy since perhaps the 2010-ish Dees, or the early 90s Swans, or the 96 Roys, or the late 80s Bad News Bears.

Is there a light at the end of the tunnel? I'm wondering if we're actually even near the middle of the tunnel yet.

Posts in this thread have put to words what i have been feeling for a while now.
I have no confidence that the cycle is going to break without some major changes.

I fear that we have lost our culture of fighting til the final whistle, overcoming oppositions' superior skills through a willingness to work harder.
It feels like we are beaten before the ball is bounced.

While I understand your position cmt26 - it's easy to see you are exasperated and frustrated as we all are which can be easily justified - perhaps you should consider changing clubs for your own peace of mind and well-being.

No one here enjoys our current position. Nor the one we've been in for a decade. But your position is way too dark to be retrievable if your post is your true belief. It honestly sounds like you've crossed a line that will only bring you more harm than good.

Posts in this thread have put to words what i have been feeling for a while now.
I have no confidence that the cycle is going to break without some major changes.

I fear that we have lost our culture of fighting til the final whistle, overcoming oppositions' superior skills through a willingness to work harder.
It feels like we are beaten before the ball is bounced.

I really think this point is where I am at as well, I watch and I don't enjoy the losses nobody does, we use to fight every game out and I could turn up again next week in that knowledge, now we give up after a dismal 10 minutes, it is a deep seated problem that I really don't see us turning around.

I had a choice last weekend to go to the Sharks RL game in Sydney or get to Melbourne, I have followed both sides for a long time. I chose the Sharks game not because they are winning but because I don't think the Lions are worthy of my support.

I really think this point is where I am at as well, I watch and I don't enjoy the losses nobody does, we use to fight every game out and I could turn up again next week in that knowledge, now we give up after a dismal 10 minutes, it is a deep seated problem that I really don't see us turning around.

I had a choice last weekend to go to the Sharks RL game in Sydney or get to Melbourne, I have followed both sides for a long time. I chose the Sharks game not because they are winning but because I don't think the Lions are worthy of my support.

Like you mate i go for the Sharkies as well. Not as passionately as i do for the Lions but still have followed them closely all my life. Thankfully they're having a good year. It's been draining following the Lions but i will never give up on them. With any luck this is the year the mighty Sharks break their premiership drought.

I can understand Lions supporters wondering when the tide will turn - every week i think to myself is this the week where the side takes a big scalp or plays in a style that you can see dramatic improvement. I thought after the Swans game and the first qtr against Port that we might have taken a step forward. Sadly since that we have taken many a step backwards. Right now i would summarise our club as one of the bottom tier sides in the English Premier League who struggles to be competitive on and off the field. The silver lining i guess is we all know who won the League this year. Leicester gives us all hope. Leicester also proves what a massive difference a great coach can make. I do worry about Leppa's ability and the lack of support he gets.

Maybe we shock the football world and ourselves and beat the Hawks this week. It could be the trigger that out club and players need. We live in hope.

I remember hearing Rockliff saying after the Swans game "This is the intensity we need to bring to all our matches" thought it was a turning point, unfortunately since then we have had 7 changes to that team (including a cameo appearance by Dayne Beams). Despite most of those changes occurring last round, it still shows we can't get continuity with our best 22. I still hope that once we get a steady run of injuries and players like Rockliff and Beams finally get some consistency we will finally see improved result, but still when will that be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry but I don't understand the point of this thread. Yeah we're all pretty crestfallen right now with the state of the club but does a new thread need to be made everyday about how s**t we are? I mean if you're sick of it then stop watching. Who cares how long you've supported the club for. Stop your whinging and stand by the boys or run off and find another team to support. You know what makes the good times all that much sweeter? Experiencing the rock bottom. We've hit rock bottom now boys & girls and guess what. In a few years time when we're playing finals again my god will it be sweet. And if we make the big one and win oh my it will be the sweetest feeling of all. Now until that happens I will whip the whipping boys, call for the coaches head and scream bloody nursery in match day threads. But I will not threaten to abandon the team and I will get to the Gabba every game and sit in my increasingly emptier section until they start winning again.

Great post cmt. Summed it up perfectly. You can only wonder and hope that officials actually read and take in good posts like this.
I truly wonder if they feel the pain we long term supporters do.
We ain't asking to win the 'ship every year. We just want a competitive team and list, that we can be excited about going to the football.
I feel we are 30 months away minimum and that's optimistic and de ja vu.

Great post cmt. Summed it up perfectly. You can only wonder and hope that officials actually read and take in good posts like this.
I truly wonder if they feel the pain we long term supporters do.
We ain't asking to win the 'ship every year. We just want a competitive team and list, that we can be excited about going to the football.
I feel we are 30 months away minimum and that's optimistic and de ja vu.

Do you really think that anyone at the club hasn't felt the same frustration?
Do you really think that an organization that survives on passion will read this thread and go "holy sh** how did we miss this?"
You don't think the constant beration and abuse hurled by faceless keyboard warriors on twitter and facebook gets through at all?
Really?

This is their jobs. Their lives. Not their hobbies. I'm pretty sure they get it.

While I understand your position cmt26 - it's easy to see you are exasperated and frustrated as we all are which can be easily justified - perhaps you should consider changing clubs for your own peace of mind and well-being.

No one here enjoys our current position. Nor the one we've been in for a decade. But your position is way too dark to be retrievable if your post is your true belief. It honestly sounds like you've crossed a line that will only bring you more harm than good.
Thanks Dr Phil.

Thanks Dr Phil.

Maybe you would have preferred "stop your whinging and whining, pull your head out of your a**e and suck it up like the rest of us, that's just part of the journey of being a football club supporter so either p*ss or get off the pot" ?

Either works. But it's not really my style.

Could be worse, we could be Chicago Cubs supporters :D

This could all be my fault - I remember thinking to myself in 2003 that 3 straight flags would be worth putting up with 20 years of bottom 4 finishes for. Still 7 years to go, sorry folks.

I think a bit of perspective is required. I still thoroughly enjoy going to the Home games with my mates and my schedule is clear most weeks for Away games too.

Maybe this link will help a few people :D

The worrying thing is that our reserves are last and get slaughtered most weeks. I think we are 15 players from having a list that can hope to compete. This would fit in with what cnt26 stated.

I would have Robbo in and Bastinac out of the competent seven. This sounds like an Edith Blyton novel!!!!!

Sorry but I don't understand the point of this thread. Yeah we're all pretty crestfallen right now with the state of the club but does a new thread need to be made everyday about how s**t we are? I mean if you're sick of it then stop watching. Who cares how long you've supported the club for. Stop your whinging and stand by the boys or run off and find another team to support. You know what makes the good times all that much sweeter? Experiencing the rock bottom. We've hit rock bottom now boys & girls and guess what. In a few years time when we're playing finals again my god will it be sweet. And if we make the big one and win oh my it will be the sweetest feeling of all. Now until that happens I will whip the whipping boys, call for the coaches head and scream bloody nursery in match day threads. But I will not threaten to abandon the team and I will get to the Gabba every game and sit in my increasingly emptier section until they start winning again.
I agree mate.

How very dare you express yourself cmt26. For shame.

Panthera's stats to round ten are essentially the 'pre-Winter' results each year. It makes for a bloody long winter each year, given we're out of the action before winter even starts.

Could be worse, we could be Chicago Cubs supporters :D

This could all be my fault - I remember thinking to myself in 2003 that 3 straight flags would be worth putting up with 20 years of bottom 4 finishes for. Still 7 years to go, sorry folks.

I think a bit of perspective is required. I still thoroughly enjoy going to the Home games with my mates and my schedule is clear most weeks for Away games too.

Maybe this link will help a few people :D
i remember being at the brunswick street oval the sunday morning after the 2004 grand final and i distinctly recall leigh matthews got up and gave a bit of a speech and said "don't get used to this grand final business what this group has done is extraordinary it might be 20 years before we'll be here again" not verbatim but pretty close from my recollection. i often bring that up with my son who was with me at the time and say leigh could turn out to be prophetic. we are building for or 2024 return to the big day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back