And the winner is.....

Remove this Banner Ad

evertonfc said:
Gutless decision. Completely lacking in balls from the ARU.

Once again, Victorian rugby fans are treated like we don't exist.

You're looking at a 4million+ market here. Many times bigger than Perth.

O'Neill said that Melbourne would have made it had he of been in. No wonder.
O'Neill moved on at the right time, soccer on its way up, rugby, at best, will remain where it is.

evertonfc said:
Once again, Victorian rugby fans are treated like we don't exist.

If Perth hadn't have won, wouldn't it be them treating the Perth fans like they don't exist?

I mean in all honesty, there is more chance of there being a success in Perth then Victoria.

Sporty Spice said:
I hope they have about as much success as the Western Reds...

The Reds weren't a failure. Unlike the Swans/Bears/Storm, they were not given adequate support during the initial years.

It should be a success. if the ARU gives it time.

Hurbie said:
The Reds weren't a failure. Unlike the Swans/Bears/Storm, they were not given adequate support during the initial years.

It should be a success. if the ARU gives it time.
All these WA supporters are suggesting that it will take from the start and that is why they won it over Victoria.

tomatoes said:
All these WA supporters are suggesting that it will take from the start and that is why they won it over Victoria.

They'll get a few packed houses in the first year.

If the team plays carp, the bandwagon will halt. That's when the ARU needs to be there with a helping hand.

tomatoes said:
Perth may be easier, but that is a gutless attitude from the ARU. If they truly want rugby to be Australia's number 2 sport, the should have demsonstrated some courage and faith.

I tell you .. if O'Neill was still the head of the ARU .. Melbourne would have got the nod.

Sporty Spice said:
I hope they have about as much success as the Western Reds...

Maybe we could model them on the Western Bulldogs. That way they wouldn't have to bother about finding their own sponsors - the ARU could just give them a cash infusion every year to keep their head ever so slightly above water!

Honestly I do not care!

However, As for the Victorian Rugby people who are probably very upset, keep playing, keep supprting Rugby and eventually Melbourne will get a team.

I believe the decision will halt Rugby in Australia. It will enocurage kids to play any sport other then Rugny in Australia's second biggest city.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perth packed out the Perth Glory grand final in the soccer and they pack out the RU Tests. Melbourne don't do anything like that because it is mainly AFL orientated. Perth are looking for a boost to their sports as they only have Freo, West Coast in the AFL and the Perth Glory in the Soccer but Melbourne have the Grand Final, Melbourne Cup, A huge amount of AFL, The Grand Prix etc so I don't think Melbourne really NEEDED a Super14 side like Perth did, they just wouldn't get the support all round that it needs.

Also Perth is on a great geographical location for the SA and NZ teams and Melbourne isn't so that just sweetens the deal. I'm sure most Melbourne people won't agree with me but that's because most of them are one-eyed sore losers who wouldn't know common sense if it bit them on the @r$e, just what their media tells them.

piefan2002 said:
I believe the decision will halt Rugby in Australia.
It will enocurage kids to play any sport other then Rugny in Australia's second biggest city.[/QUOTE]I disagree because the only thing lost today was the OPPORTUNITY to grow Rugby in favour of growing Rugby in every other major capital except Melbourne.

ps Nobody cares about Adelaide, especially Port Adelaide.

amnesiac said:
geographical location? melbournes a whole 1 hour flight from sydney/canberra. hardly tough to get to :confused:

I'm talking for the South Africa teams. South African teams would have to travel an extra 3 hours to get to Melbourne and I'm not even sure that it's a direct flight from Johannesburg to Melbouren (not sure but I will accept it if there is).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back