And then there were 5 - Vote now

Remove this Banner Ad

Who do you want to coach Melbourne next year.
I've voted and posted my thoughts.
Why is it that so few of us have voted and posted our thoughts yet the page views listed is in the hundreds?
Come onDees fans. Make a real thread of this topic. It's about the next coach for goodness sake.
Our board is so dead compared to other clubs it's embarrassing.
Be brave and vote and post your thoughts.

Go Dees
Trippledee

Daniher tried that and it didn't exactly work. Sheedy is good but he did it with a club renowned for having large support.

If Sheeds doesn't get the job, I'll be a little miffed about the clubs direction. Melbourne has alot of supporters, there still remains a big divide from the post gutnick era.

Sheeds knows about passion - there is nobody better in the game to instill some club pride in players or suporters... or unite the club.

Would be worth the money.

As a non-Melbourne suppoerter my vote doesn't count for much but I threw my hat in the ring for Hardwick... premierships at 2 clubs so he knows how to find success, was a very tough player (in Worsfold ilk although not as good) and a very solid coaching record. Must have done some right things at the hawks...

Could someone please give more details on who Dean Bailey is?

As a non-Melbourne suppoerter my vote doesn't count for much but I threw my hat in the ring for Hardwick... premierships at 2 clubs so he knows how to find success, was a very tough player (in Worsfold ilk although not as good) and a very solid coaching record. Must have done some right things at the hawks...

Could someone please give more details on who Dean Bailey is?
Besides asking Port supporters, check page 1.

Are you saying all he's really done is coached at Port for a few years?
Where else has he been and who has he played for?

Are you saying all he's really done is coached at Port for a few years?
Where else has he been and who has he played for?
sorry, i meant check here.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=360605
Anyone know anything about him, from port website.

"Dean Bailey is entering his 6th year at Alberton and in season ’07 he’ll be turning his main focus from defence to the all important midfield. Throughout his playing career he spent a number of seasons in the midfield and will offer different ideas to the players, as well as building on what has already been put in motion. Dean’s footy experience includes 53 games for Essendon, 61 for Glenelg, a coaching stint in Queensland and 2 seasons as Essendon’s Development Coach."
AFL
1986-92: 53 games, 19 goals for Essendon
SANFL
1993-96: 61 games for Glenelg

1998-99: Mout Gravatt Football Club (QAFL) senior coach
2000-01: Essendon Football Club development coach
2002- : Port Adelaide Football Club assistant coach

Looks like a solid resume, hopefully if he coached us he would have a greater importance on developing the backline and young players, without playing a defensive style.

Dean_Bailey_large.jpg
Does he look mean enough Supermerc, definitely wouldn't call him cuddles.

Also it was reported that his presentation was the best of the lot, however Hardwick fits the image the club was originally looking for (premiership player, young, defence orientated, tough etc) and sheeds is sheeds.

That's the stuff!! Awesome thanks
Looks a pretty solid resume too

Would you think the bombers would also be interested?

Well i think their 5 choices are absolutely disgraceful. To leave guy McKenna out of hte top 5 yest put someone like Damien Hardwicke in..... What the heck are they thinking.

I voted for Bailey but believe that Sheedy will get the job. If he does, then I will not be renewing my membership. He is old and past it. His is the ultimate teflon man when it comes to his press cpnferences. His health is flailing and he is also a stop gap measure. Think longer term demons and appoint the right person for the future, not for the now.

Well i think their 5 choices are absolutely disgraceful. To leave guy McKenna out of hte top 5 yest put someone like Damien Hardwicke in..... What the heck are they thinking.
Why is McKenna any better than Hardwick? McKenna probably isn't still in the running because his presentation would just have been "im really good, i should be coaching the saints and so on".

Mark Riley deserves to be in the final 5, you can't leave Sheedy out, Connolly has his flaws but has also done some good stuff over at freo and Hardwick and Bailey must have been better candidates than McKenna, Bond and Sumich.

I've voted and posted my thoughts.
Why is it that so few of us have voted and posted our thoughts yet the page views listed is in the hundreds?
Come onDees fans. Make a real thread of this topic. It's about the next coach for goodness sake.
Our board is so dead compared to other clubs it's embarrassing.
Be brave and vote and post your thoughts.

Go Dees
Trippledee

Ok - Sheedy would be great in trying to make our club more relevant and getting people on board, BUT, I personally don't think he'd take us to a flag, he'd want too much control over things and there is this 'generation gap/communication' thing to think about. Wish there was a mix between him and say Dean Bailey. Or say get both.

I actually though Freo were really smart trying to get Sheedy in a manager type roll. Kind of like Parkin at the blues a few years ago, though that didn't work out then, I believe it had some merit. Think of someone young like Ratten at the blues (Bailey or Hardwick perhaps) growing with our list, with experience on tap like Sheedy. Sheedy could focus on coach development and marketing, not day to day coaching or match day. The younger coach does all this and puts the contemporary edge on things and connects better with the list (look at the age of recent premiership coaches - Roos, Woosha even Mark Williams).

Just my 2 cents.

Sheedy doesn't have to win us a flag. He can come in for 5 years, establishing a better culture at the club and turning us around. Appoint a credentialed assistant (Bailey or Hardwick) and let them be guided by Sheedy's knowledge and then they can take over in due time.

Sheedy doesn't have to win us a flag. He can come in for 5 years, establishing a better culture at the club and turning us around. Appoint a credentialed assistant (Bailey or Hardwick) and let them be guided by Sheedy's knowledge and then they can take over in due time.

That's why I reckon we need him. Maybe a better way is to 'say' he is the senior coach rather than 'manager' or whatever but he focuses more on what I posted earlier. The 'assistant' Bailey or whoever realistically is the senior coach. I want some aspects of Sheedy, but not others.

All that being said I doubt he'd join us unless he is the full coach - this might be one reason he apparently doesn't feel so confident in getting the role (the other of course being this generation gap thing).

I voted Bailey. Can't split him and Sheeds but i knew everyone else would go sheedy.

Bailey was ports defence coach when they won the flag - actually turned bishop from a * to a solid defender, now he is coaching their midfield this year, read in the paper a player said that port's little tricks in the centre clearances are probably better than any other side in the comp, i reckon he will go alright. Riley is just nothing, in fact he is only barely above connolly in my book, only because he hasn't been given a chance to fail yet.

Bailey/Sheedy
Hardwick
Riley
Connolly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I voted Hardwick mainly because of his youthful hardness approach. Sheeds would be good but i still wonder about the age factor & Bailey whom i don't know much about must be doing something write.

Why not Connolly? He is a proven coach. Was it all his fault that Freo were so poor this year?
Opinions?
Connolly is not the first name to come to mind and has proven that he can't coach. Poor discipline has been the bane of Freo along with recruiting hacks from other clubs is not the road to success. Harvey is already showing a difference in the short time he has been there. Not sure what Connelly was hoping to achieve by leaving Freo early but at this point Harvey is showing him up.

At first I was red hot for Sheedy but now Im not so sure after wathcing essendon fall away this season.

Personally I'd like Hardwick or Bailey to get the job, and do an Alistair Clarkson to us.

Either way whoever they get I'll be there round 1 next year backing the new coach and the players

Don't rule out Voss assisting if Sheedy were to get the job

Or even Hird. Sheedy met with the demons yesterday, so at least he appears extremely keen to continue coaching.

Couple of questions

1) How much longer realisitically do you think he could coach for?
2) Do u reckon he'd go for Cyril Rioli at pick 4?
3) Would he bring any essendon players over with him?

if we're looking for a good club culture then theres your reason we didnt select mckenna... with a past at west coast and collingwood.

Or even Hird. Sheedy met with the demons yesterday, so at least he appears extremely keen to continue coaching.

Couple of questions

1) How much longer realisitically do you think he could coach for?
2) Do u reckon he'd go for Cyril Rioli at pick 4?
3) Would he bring any essendon players over with him?
1)5-6 years, 3 year deal then another 2-3 year deal, if he doesn't win a premiership then we will want him out, if he does then he will retire.
2) I hope not, Junior can play but pick 4 seems a bit high, and definitely not if we lose to carlton and get pick 2, would be a great get at 20
3) I doubt it, seems like the younger players aren't his number 1 fans and none of them are any good anyway (yes some are ok, Stanton, Laycock, Gumbleton or Alwyn Id take). Who else would we want from the bombers, no of the older players or his projects like Bolton.

At first I was red hot for Sheedy but now Im not so sure after wathcing essendon fall away this season.

Personally I'd like Hardwick or Bailey to get the job, and do an Alistair Clarkson to us.

Either way whoever they get I'll be there round 1 next year backing the new coach and the players
Good stuff Dutchy.
I'll be there for round 1 too even if we appoint Connolly coach.
Afterall it is the club we barrack for not individual players or coach.
Go Dees

Remove this Banner Ad

Back