Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Evans Beard

Cancelled
East Side Hawks - Sweet F.A. Chess Club Member
Apr 9, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Didn't they knew straight away because the tent zip was opened up higher than the kid could reach? So they would have known she was taken either way. Even if it was estranged family, it's still Amber alert worthy. Totally different to missing kids, of any colour, where there's history of similar events and clear reasons why they'd want to piss off.
Not really - initial searches focused on the blowholes and the possibility the child had wandered off and fallen in. Only once no evidence (footprints, sleeping bag, clothes) was found, did the focus shift to other possible scenarios. Although multiple lines were explored, early focus was on the blowholes and transitioned to abduction once blowholes were designated ‘unlikely’.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
This may turn into a bit of a long rant, but I don’t have an issue with Jesinta’s post nor her timing. She’s serving cold hard facts at a time when people need to open their eyes because we’re simply not living in a movie. We are talking about a real life societal issue here.

On what she said, Jesinta clearly stated that she’s happy for the family and is not attacking them for the coverage they received due to their race. We all are happy for Cleo and her family - I can only imagine the relief of finding your child after they went missing! Not even her timing suggests this. She’s simply raising awareness on an adjacent issue. What better timing do some people want when the topic of abduction is currently on the forefront of people’s minds?

The point is, racially-biased media coverage for missing persons is an issue in our society just as it is in other Western countries. There are studies and data showing these disparities, but anyone with access to an internet connection can look it up. When people call the media out for this, they are usually NOT blaming the victims nor their family. They obviously do not have control over what gains traction and what does not. Those who blame the victims or their family need to take a hard look at themselves.
The media however does influence what gains traction and what does not. That’s just reality when they are the primary source for our society’s current affairs.

It’s heartening to see the community and media rally around Cleo and her family, but you just don’t see this as often with non-whites. Therefore, let’s have this conversation before yet another Indigenous child/person (for example) goes missing in obscurity, which is a conversation Jesinta clearly wanted to start. Hopefully we’ll see the same opportunity of coverage afforded to parents from other races with missing children down the track.

Jan 16, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Since you’re trying to analyse someone you know nothing about while bravely sitting at your keyboard, why don’t I give it a go too.

Your bias is showing again, and your casual racism too. Actually, your racism is overt, you just hide it behind a social justice agenda. You listen to nobody else except those in your echo chamber. You are bigoted in your views.

You believe you have clever arguments, but they are fatally flawed.

You are what you hate. You are identical to Andrew Bolt in style, you just have a different starting point.

Deliciously ironic.
Still deflecting while offering nothing to support your argument…..bias!!

You have offered nothing and hate being called out , your use to hiding behind rhetoric .

GOHORCS

All Australian
Nov 12, 2011
Mount Martha
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This may turn into a bit of a long rant, but I don’t have an issue with Jesinta’s post nor her timing. She’s serving cold hard facts at a time when people need to open their eyes because we’re simply not living in a movie. We are talking about a real life societal issue here.

On what she said, Jesinta clearly stated that she’s happy for the family and is not attacking them for the coverage they received due to their race. We all are happy for Cleo and her family - I can only imagine the relief of finding your child after they went missing! Not even her timing suggests this. She’s simply raising awareness on an adjacent issue. What better timing do some people want when the topic of abduction is currently on the forefront of people’s minds?

The point is, racially-biased media coverage for missing persons is an issue in our society just as it is in other Western countries. There are studies and data showing these disparities, but anyone with access to an internet connection can look it up. When people call the media out for this, they are usually NOT blaming the victims nor their family. They obviously do not have control over what gains traction and what does not. Those who blame the victims or their family need to take a hard look at themselves.
The media however does influence what gains traction and what does not. That’s just reality when they are the primary source for our society’s current affairs.

It’s heartening to see the community and media rally around Cleo and her family, but you just don’t see this as often with non-whites. Therefore, let’s have this conversation before yet another Indigenous child/person (for example) goes missing in obscurity, which is a conversation Jesinta clearly wanted to start. Hopefully we’ll see the same opportunity of coverage afforded to parents from other races with missing children down the track.
There are many factors for the media coverage of all sorts of issues. For media it comes down to ratings, target market, and so the money they can make. The choices are a reflection on society. The coverage of these issues and other examples is not balanced. It is not a cut and dried as a racist agenda. A 4yo abducted in the Australian bush while camping that is not a custody dispute is a ratings bonanza with an International audience based on Azaria chamberlain, Ivan Milat, maddelin mccann... In this Covid time it is almost a perfect storm.
Good on Jesinta for taking the opportunity to highlight the need for more equal coverage of news. There is too much to cover and chooces are made. What basis these are made on is in my opinion most likely money.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lampers

Premiership Player
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
Still deflecting while offering nothing to support your argument…..bias!!

You have offered nothing and hate being called out , your use to hiding behind rhetoric .

So, you are a comedic parody account? Yes? When is the big reveal? You keep accusing me of what you are. It’s top notch stuff.

My only agenda is reality, I don’t care what reality is and have no skin in the game of what is reality.

I vote for what I believe will benefit the most people in the long term, which is almost always against what would most benefit me personally.

Truth comes from analysis of facts, generally represented by data to reflect large pools of information, with an open mind.

An anecdote, story or someone’s feelings, are just that. It might be sad, it might represent something morally wrong, but an account does not make it a pervasive reality. It may even be untrue, often two people at the same event have different recollections of the same reality.

Perspectives of all stakeholders need to be taken into account and are another input. But a perspective is an opinion, that is all. Because someone feels strongly does not make what they feel reality.

I dislike people who run their agenda and cherry pick with a closed mind - irrespective of whether I lean towards or away from their agenda philosophically.

That behaviour is divisive and slows down genuine progress to the best and most practical solution.

You appear to be a such a person. Andrew Bolt is such a person. You are very similar, you just run different agendas.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
There are many factors for the media coverage of all sorts of issues. For media it comes down to ratings, target market, and so the money they can make. The choices are a reflection on society. The coverage of these issues and other examples is not balanced. It is not a cut and dried as a racist agenda. A 4yo abducted in the Australian bush while camping that is not a custody dispute is a ratings bonanza with an International audience based on Azaria chamberlain, Ivan Milat, maddelin mccann... In this Covid time it is almost a perfect storm.
Good on Jesinta for taking the opportunity to highlight the need for more equal coverage of news. There is too much to cover and chooces are made. What basis these are made on is in my opinion most likely money.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah I agree in that I don’t think it’s explicit racism by the media either. Like you said, it’s probably money-driven. Will an article about a missing Indigenous child from a low socio-economic background get more clicks than a missing white child from a middle class family? Porbably not because your quintessential ‘every day’ white Australian (the dominant group in our society) probably pays more attention to misfortune that happens to someone they can relate to more i.e. the white family from a middle class family. This is probably because it makes the danger seem more real to them, giving them more empathy towards the distraught family.

Media go where the money lies, which is why it’s probably up to us as media consumers to drive the change. People with a platform like Jesinta speaking out at ‘unconventional times’ (as deemed by some) actually helps us notice what impact we have on media reporting, which is why we need to start showing that we actually care a lot about missing children of non-white background. They’ll get money by diversifying their reporting if we diversify what news stories we care about.

ExcitementMachine

Premiership Player
Aug 5, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
So a White 4yo kid was abducted and held captive by an indigenous Male in his thirties and the ABC want to have the uncomfortably conversation - about treating indigenous missing children equally.

Cleo Smith case sparks calls to treat Indigenous missing children cases equally - ABC News

It doesn't seem right to me.
Is the ABC, without a hint of irony, running an agenda? Are they using false equivalences discussed in this thread - comparing the abduction of Cleo Smith to teenagers who ran away from dangerous environments? Are they cherry picking?

Last edited:

ExcitementMachine

Premiership Player
Aug 5, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah I agree in that I don’t think it’s explicit racism by the media either. Like you said, it’s probably money-driven. Will an article about a missing Indigenous child from a low socio-economic background get more clicks than a missing white child from a middle class family? Porbably not because your quintessential ‘every day’ white Australian (the dominant group in our society) probably pays more attention to misfortune that happens to someone they can relate to more i.e. the white family from a middle class family. This is probably because it makes the danger seem more real to them, giving them more empathy towards the distraught family.

Media go where the money lies, which is why it’s probably up to us as media consumers to drive the change. People with a platform like Jesinta speaking out at ‘unconventional times’ (as deemed by some) actually helps us notice what impact we have on media reporting, which is why we need to start showing that we actually care a lot about missing children of non-white background. They’ll get money by diversifying their reporting if we diversify what news stories we care about.

Do you get your news sources from the ABC and SBS and the Guardian?

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
No need to get defensive - it's an open ended question you answer any way you like.
I initially though it was some sort of an insult, but then I figured that it may just be an honest question so wondered what you meant by it.

If I’m to respond, then I’d say that I don’t really get my news from those sources very often. Doesn’t mean that I categorically don’t. I just don’t access their articles very much in my recollection.

I probably consume news from either the mainstream Australian media outlets or social media (e.g. 7/Nine News, Twitter/Reddit links to articles). I don’t think I have a go-to media outlet that I take my news from. I personally like to read from different sources when something is reported.

Lampers

Premiership Player
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
Probably that they are as agenda driven and as bias in their views as what the Murdoch press is.

The biggest problem for me is government owned news services should be really boring. Facts. No opinions. Does that bring ratings, no. But why should they care about ratings?

The ABC and SBS are very left leaning and some will say that’s to balance out the overwhelming right leaning commercial media. That’s not the ABC or SBS’ job.

Let commercial news services be biased. But regulate that they need to publish in the top right corner of their website, screen and hard copy versions how much money their controlling owners donated to political parties, and also the services’ top 10 advertising or donation revenue sources.

That way we know the services we pay for through taxes deal with facts, and then we have good indicators of the likely bias running through what we see in commercial news.

Back on topic - at least with Jessinta nobody takes her seriously.

ExcitementMachine

Premiership Player
Aug 5, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I initially though it was some sort of an insult, but then I figured that it may just be an honest question so wondered what you meant by it.

If I’m to respond, then I’d say that I don’t really get my news from those sources very often. Doesn’t mean that I categorically don’t. I just don’t access their articles very much in my recollection.

I probably consume news from either the mainstream Australian media outlets or social media (e.g. 7/Nine News, Twitter/Reddit links to articles). I don’t think I have a go-to media outlet that I take my news from. I personally like to read from different sources when something is reported.

Fair enough.
Race does matter in 2021.
If it was a 4yo Indigenous kid that was kidnapped by a 36yo - white creep - the media blowout after finding the missing child I'd imagine - would be volcanic.
And we'd be really talking about race.
7 news, 9 news channel 10 would be covering this for the clicks and money just as they did with the BLM last year - could you imagine the ABC/Guardian/ and these networks - they'd be lapping up the so called - 'uncomfortable conversations'.

Pacman82

Premiership Player
Oct 24, 2011
Earth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
SMFC | Celtics
I guess Jesinta was triggered when she saw the kidnapper was Aboriginal, & not some creepy white guy, so she used her well honed play the victim skills to make out that whites are truly the evil ones in all this, yeah nice try Jesinta.. Any bet when an older-mid aged white guy happens to enter her vicinity in a public place, like say the beach where she takes her daily selfies, she'd get all upset & be like "some creepy guy's trying to check me out..." Pathetic

carloss

Premiership Player
Sep 4, 2007
around
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Sheffield Wednesday
This may turn into a bit of a long rant, but I don’t have an issue with Jesinta’s post nor her timing. She’s serving cold hard facts at a time when people need to open their eyes because we’re simply not living in a movie.

Jesinta serving cold hard facts.

never.jpg

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Do you know how many white guys have been found dead in their cells in the same time period? Yeah me neither.
Just did some research of the past 3 years and races other than indigenous make up just over 80% of deaths in custody.

EDIT: Natural causes was responsible for the vast majority of all (indigenous and non-indigenous) deaths followed by self-inflicted, but those with an agenda don't want you to know that.

Last edited:

Lampers

Premiership Player
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
Just did some research of the past 3 years and races other than indigenous make up just over 80% of deaths in custody.

EDIT: Natural causes was responsible for the vast majority of all (indigenous and non-indigenous) deaths followed by self-inflicted, but those with an agenda don't want you to know that.

I looked at this during the BLM protests and found similar. There are relatively few violent deaths in custody.

From what I recall, the likelihood of an indigenous person dying in custody as a ratio of the “in custody” populations was actually less than non-indigenous for a couple of years, and most other years it was higher but very similar.

As someone else pointed out, indigenous Australians have poorer health and life expectancy than non indigenous Australians - itself another problem to solve but a fact never the less - so based on that alone an indigenous person is more likely to die on any given day already of natural causes.

If you accept humans are mortal, any sentence of life with no parole guarantees a death in custody. Ivan Milat was a death in custody.

So instead of acting like every indigenous death in custody is a national disgrace, attention needs to be on why indigenous Australians are incarcerated at a much higher rate than non-indigenous.

There are many obvious factors that have nothing to do with race on the surface, however some of those factors are far more prevalent in specific racial groups. Why are those factors more prevalent, and how can that be addressed? There is focus on this, but they are complex, slow burn over decades to address, and not very sexy so doesn’t get clicks or viewers.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fair enough.
Race does matter in 2021.
If it was a 4yo Indigenous kid that was kidnapped by a 36yo - white creep - the media blowout after finding the missing child I'd imagine - would be volcanic.
And we'd be really talking about race.
7 news, 9 news channel 10 would be covering this for the clicks and money just as they did with the BLM last year - could you imagine the ABC/Guardian/ and these networks - they'd be lapping up the so called - 'uncomfortable conversations'.
Yeah I agree because they’d have an agenda, which is appears to be anti-white like other far left organisations.

However, my concern is specifically to do with non-white kids not getting the same coverage regardless of the race of their perpetrator. In my personal opinion (and I stress that this is only my personal opinion), I think it is because the left-leaning media outlets may not cover stories where the likely perpetrator is non-white to suit their anti-white posture (which is there probably to appease their demographic), and the right-leaning media outlets may not cover it because reporting on a missing non-white kid may not get them the clicks they want. Either way, it’s the child and the family are missing out on coverage that may result in vital information.

With a white child or white woman from the upper or middle class for example, you don’t have these layers. Regardless of whether the media outlet is left-leaning or right-leaning, they will provide coverage because it aligns with their views.

We can keep the coverage the way it is for white women and children, but I’d like to see an increase in coverage of missing non-white individuals from all the media outlets that are disproportionately reporting on missing persons depending on what race they are. This isn’t restricted to right-leaning media outlets if we’re going to be honest. Otherwise, CNN wouldn’t be having this issue either.

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond

So instead of acting like every indigenous death in custody is a national disgrace, attention needs to be on why indigenous Australians are incarcerated at a much higher rate than non-indigenous.
And plenty of research has gone into both deaths and incarcerations and continues.

The fact that some people were so triggered by her post tells me that it’s hitting pretty hard
Dunno about triggered but I'm sure many 'white' Aussies are sick of being blamed for something that's out of their control.

JEagle

All Australian
Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
What she wrote was offensive and shows complete disrespect to the members of the WA Police Force who worked tirelessly in order to achieve an outcome that no-one in Australia imagined was possible after 18 days.
Having listened to numerous podcasts by ex Homicide Detectives from all over Australia and also the Life and Crimes podcast by Andrew Rule, each Detective has stated that the cases that most affected them involved the abduction and murder or disappearance of children and in particular, Indigenous children.
Jesinta would have no idea what happens in the real world, far away from her privileged lifestyle and anyone that thinks she originally posted for any other reason than to obtain likes on Instagram is as stupid as she is.
I very much doubt that she would be able to name one case involving an Indigenous child who has ever been abducted and she would definitely have no idea as to how many have been taken compared to other children.
I would suggest that her idea of reading a newspaper would be limited to the social pages - too many big words in all the important articles.

Ding ding. We have a winner. Well done.

JEagle

All Australian
Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
simple fact is that death in custody of indigenous people is not an issue, proportional to people in custody, they're less likely to die. Reality is that the dimwits that mention it divert attention from the real issue. And that is the over- representation of indigenous people engaging with the criminal justice system in the first place. Once they're engaged, they're no worse off than any other group. But looking too deeply at that raises some fairly uncomfortable truths for the massive industry that gorges itself on indigenous misery and disadvantage.

Great post. Could not agree more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back