Roast And with four umpires.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back on umpires.
Any one watch the horror show that was umpires in the Crows Pies game?
What a schmozzle.The umpires have this season with four of them, become the closest spectators to the game.
I can almost hear them screaming M..G.T.And then they pull back... oh oh. I should have called that, but don't worry one of the other three bludgers will call it.Oooops they missed it as welll. Oh well , wow did you see that hit on that Magpies. Great shirt front. Crow player jumped and took him head high .Well done Crows.Ooops shoulda called another.
And so the fiasco went on. A free in the white squar to the Pies, even Ray Charles would have seen that one. But hey, we got three others to callem. Make them earn their coin.
Geez this is agreat game, but where the fck are the umpires.Uh Oh , thats right that is me.
Geez , lucky I was the one in charge of that free the M..g.t missed. And he as let me see... 80... 100 metres away!! Hell he musta gone to spec savers.
Geez, this racket of four umpies is great for me, more money, cos I woulda been up in Bendigo thirds in not for it. And bugger the crowd, they put sheeit on me every week.:handpointup::handpointup::handpointup::handpointup::handpointup:up yours ya dicks.
Should go back to 1 umpire who's used to F grade. Centre ball up then just stands in the circle making calls from there.

Should go back to 1 umpire who's used to F grade. Centre ball up then just stands in the circle making calls from there.
I watched 360 on Fox last night and I see that the Boys Club are at work already. Andrew Gillon stating that the four umpires were a great success.
Just follow the bouncing ball.
Sadly, the AFL admitted to only one horrendous mistake in the last quarter. The Johnson one in the white square would have sealed the game. New face but more of the same that we got from Gil.

I don't think things have improved since last posting, maybe got worse.
But this is a blast from the past of the WAFL.Taken from the WAFL ON site.
Thought to be a cartoon around about 1981. Freddie Woods was a WAFL umpire, then became a TV personality on footy shows.
353414470_639161561589375_4225559646562634970_n.jpg

One thing they absolutely need to change is to psych profile umps better. We need far less of the spotlight hungry and "take control and be part of the game" types and far more of the guy who retired last year, umpires 350 games and 8 GF's and I can't remember his name types. The types like Nicholls, Margetts, Chamberlain, Stevic, Williamson, Rosebury, Foote etc who clearly see themselves as a big part of the spectacle do so much damage not only during games but to those considering taking it up. They are horrible role models as they come across as huge pricks.

They're also the types who look for paying free kicks and being clever and technically correct even when the decision paid was against something that had no impact on the play and instead slows it down.

Instead of looking at bounces and running capacity as lead indicators, they need to look at those who get the simple stuff right. If you pay the simple stuff and get it right, the mistakes are easier to handle. If you keep getting cute and paying stuff that might be technically correct but still perplexing you make life harder on yourself and your colleagues. Williamson's disgraceful free in the dying moments of the Dogs game on the weekend that took off a goal is a classic example. Whether it was there or not is secondary to the fact it had nothing to do with the contest and is indication of an umpire thinking he's part of the game and the spectacle.

The fact #19 keeps getting a run despite his absolute disaster in the Pies/Crows game followed up the next week by again ignoring the same free on Shooter he'd been killed for in the Pies game against Murphy shows they're focusing on the wrong this when assessing umps.

One thing they absolutely need to change is to psych profile umps better. We need far less of the spotlight hungry and "take control and be part of the game" types and far more of the guy who retired last year, umpires 350 games and 8 GF's and I can't remember his name types. The types like Nicholls, Margetts, Chamberlain, Stevic, Williamson, Rosebury, Foote etc who clearly see themselves as a big part of the spectacle do so much damage not only during games but to those considering taking it up. They are horrible role models as they come across as huge pricks.

They're also the types who look for paying free kicks and being clever and technically correct even when the decision paid was against something that had no impact on the play and instead slows it down.

Instead of looking at bounces and running capacity as lead indicators, they need to look at those who get the simple stuff right. If you pay the simple stuff and get it right, the mistakes are easier to handle. If you keep getting cute and paying stuff that might be technically correct but still perplexing you make life harder on yourself and your colleagues. Williamson's disgraceful free in the dying moments of the Dogs game on the weekend that took off a goal is a classic example. Whether it was there or not is secondary to the fact it had nothing to do with the contest and is indication of an umpire thinking he's part of the game and the spectacle.

The fact #19 keeps getting a run despite his absolute disaster in the Pies/Crows game followed up the next week by again ignoring the same free on Shooter he'd been killed for in the Pies game against Murphy shows they're focusing on the wrong this when assessing umps.
the best umpired games are ones they put the whistle away and just let the footy flow. pay some blatant holding the balls/throws and highs but otherwise just let it go

hearing a whistle every 40 seconds just ruins the game, and then you get those 50m penalties for * all that cost a team a goal, ridiculous atm

Watched the game last night, Port V Cats. Yet anotyher apalling display fromthe umpires.
How bad does it have to get to make the AFL revert back.
Last week, a botch up by the goal umpire being on the wrong side of the play, could have cost a gaol and a game.The snicko didn't work because allegdly the Richmond player slapped the padding making snicko null and void.
Last night SPPs goal, queried, goal umpire standing right there, with his hands on the padding of the goal post.No snicko used. It was a goal but no snicko used . I wonder why.
A mark to Port paid by one umpire close to a mark or not sure. The umpire not officiating paid a mark, the officiating umpire called play on.
Free kick count early very biased towards the Cats, tried to be evened up as the game progressed.

Has to be the last season we have four umpires. Season 2024 has to be the worst I have ever seen . That’s saying something . It’s been a complete failure. Far too many free kicks that in true football should never be paid. The only solution is to go back to three umpires. Really two is my preference.They are not earning their money with four. Umpiring is at all time low . Forget the field umpires, the boundary and goal umpiring is all at sea . They’re being instructed the wrong way, a lot wrong . But the main thing is get rid of that fourth field umpire.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back