Anderson slips up on naming drug offenders??

Jul 7, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NFL-Steelers (Twitter : Statsman74)
mate - i think we all know the names - we just can't post them

however - using document articles to put together a logical finding is something within the BF rules

I wasnt taking the piss - I was serious - you're the first I've seen to join the dots using facts. You've done well.

saber

Draftee
Jul 18, 2006
Cronulla
AFL Club
Sydney
Firstly I must say I did not know who the 3 were as I didn't read Big Footy last year and missed it in the newspaper articles so there are some of us out here who are the ignorant few. Secondly I read Adrian Anderson's article and I didn't conclude that 2 of the 3 players had been traded this year, maybe I am a bit slow but I didn't read the article that way.

dan warna

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Oct 13, 2003
melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
will Anderson be charged with breaching the order banning the publication of the names?

He needs the book thrown at him, preferably several books mostly yellow pages IMO. old ones, left outside and waterlogged:D

thetan

Debutant
Jun 28, 2006
Melbourne
Great pick up.

But, guys, be careful. This isn't a "normal" matter of defamation (ie getting sued).

The Supreme Court of Victoria has placed a permanent injunction on naming the players involved. The threshold for taking legal action here may not be the same as for a civil suit while the penalties are different.

From the judgment by Justice Kellam:

... there should be permanent injunctions in each set of proceedings restraining the defendants from publishing or otherwise disseminating any material tending to identify any AFL player who has tested positive on one or two occasions under the AFL Illicit Drugs Policy.
(NB: the ban extends to everyone, not just defendants. Here's a summary of his findings.)

Now, in narrowing the identity of two of the players from 2/700 to 2/9 one might imagine that counts as a "tending to identify". Getting it down to 2/2 would be definitively identifying. So 2/9 has to be a tendency, right?

One could argue that it was Adrian Anderson who "started it" with his slip, but repeating it or pointing it out would presumably still count as "disseminating".

Might be best to check with a lawyer.

sharpie

Premiership Player
Jul 4, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Great pick up.

But, guys, be careful. This isn't a "normal" matter of defamation (ie getting sued).

The Supreme Court of Victoria has placed a permanent injunction on naming the players involved. The threshold for taking legal action here may not be the same as for a civil suit while the penalties are different.

From the judgment by Justice Kellam:

(NB: the ban extends to everyone, not just defendants. Here's a summary of his findings.)

Now, in narrowing the identity of two of the players from 2/700 to 2/9 one might imagine that counts as a "tending to identify". Getting it down to 2/2 would be definitively identifying. So 2/9 has to be a tendency, right?

One could argue that it was Adrian Anderson who "started it" with his slip, but repeating it or pointing it out would presumably still count as "disseminating".

Might be best to check with a lawyer.

fair comment - i'd also be interested to know what jurisdiction the victorian supreme court has over residents in other states though

Back