Draft Watcher andleanback's 2020 Draft Watch ** FINAL PHANTOM DRAFT **

Remove this Banner Ad

Final Phantom Draft ( 2 Rounds)

Obviously a few picks will change hands on draft night due to live trading and picks will move down depending where bids come.

1607330886309.png

1607330920167.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi all
Long time draft follower but first time running a thread. Im very excited about up coming season as ive always been bullish on this draft class, with my belief that it is a lot stronger than many in the media have given it credit for. The class is littered with an abundance of tall talent which is exciting to see, as a lot of previous drafts top talent has mainly been midfielders.

It will also be a very intriguing National Championships as currently (barring injuries) the Allies will take in the strongest squad they've ever had (currently 9 players in my top 50) and will go close to winning it, which would be an amazing effort and great success story for AFL.

I will be heading to at least 1 nab league game a week and will be posting my take aways/ top players of the day.

It was so disappointing to here the news about my early number 1 Elijah Hollands getting injured at training, as he such an exciting talent and outstanding individual. I hope that no other serious injuries occur and all the prospects are able to put their best foot forward and show off the talents they possess over the coming season.

March rankings:
Obviously it is very early in the piece and there will be plenty of changes to this list over the coming months. The current list is based of performances over the past 24 months (u16 champs and underage year), while also considering their potential scope for improvement from my personal opinion.

1583899314089.png
1583902854595.png

Last edited:

Hipwell at 50 may start to rise as the early rounds start to go down, looked far more polished from last year in the practise match I saw the other week. Looks extremely fit as well and covered the ground really well.

Bailey Chamberlain one to watch in the early rounds of the SA season as well, tracks as a Harry Schoenberg type.

Really good list and will have a keen eye on your thoughts here 👍

Hi all
Long time draft follower but first time running a thread. Im very excited about up coming season as ive always been bullish on this draft class, with my belief that it is a lot stronger than many in the media have given it credit for. The class is littered with an abundance of tall talent which is exciting to see, as a lot of previous drafts top talent has mainly been midfielders.

It will also be a very intriguing National Championships as currently (barring injuries) the Allies will take in the strongest squad they've ever had (currently 9 players in my top 50) and will go close to winning it, which would be an amazing effort and great success story for AFL.

I will be heading to at least 1 nab league game a week and will be posting my take aways/ top players of the day.

It was so disappointing to here the news about my early number 1 Elijah Hollands getting injured at training, as he such an exciting talent and outstanding individual. I hope that no other serious injuries occur and all the prospects are able to put their best foot forward and show off the talents they possess over the coming season.

March rankings:
Obviously it is very early in the piece and there will be plenty of changes to this list over the coming months. The current list is based of performances over the past 24 months (u16 champs and underage year), while also considering their potential scope for improvement from my personal opinion.

View attachment 837506
View attachment 837545

So you would have Walsh as the second best ruck from Vic C?

So you would have Walsh as the second best ruck from Vic C?
Reid can play anywhere, where as Walsh is a pure ruckman. Thilthorpe can also play in the ruck but will be a key forward long term. Walsh is still very raw and it will take multiple years in an afl system to become a senior footballer. That aside, at this stage i feel he's the best pure ruck in the draft and will most likely get the gig as the starting ruck for the nab afl academy australia game.

he draft
Reid can play anywhere, where as Walsh is a pure ruckman. Thilthorpe can also play in the ruck but will be a key forward long term. Walsh is still very raw and it will take multiple years in an afl system to become a senior footballer. That aside, at this stage i feel he's the best pure ruck in the draft and will most likely get the gig as the starting ruck for the nab afl academy australia game.

I wonder if Carlton will try to link the brothers, based on a resoanble year they will have a pick mid 20's. If so they may perhaps trade out someone as I think they have a few talls. If he was there in the 30's at geelong's pick id hope we take him .. although its difficult at this stage to work out with so many nga FS type picks available this year, so, I think you and the other prognosticators wiill have your work cut out for you this year

I wonder if Carlton will try to link the brothers, based on a resoanble year they will have a pick mid 20's. If so they may perhaps trade out someone as I think they have a few talls. If he was there in the 30's at geelong's pick id hope we take him .. although its difficult at this stage to work out with so many nga FS type picks available this year, so, I think you and the other prognosticators wiill have your work cut out for you this year
I think the draft watchers should just concentrate on rating the talent, rather than try and do a Phantom Draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi all

March rankings:

View attachment 837506
View attachment 837545
Great job.

One correct is Brandon Walker. Last year he was listed at 182cm, may have grown since.

I did well getting to a few Nab League practise matches while I could, interesting to see how fixture will be changed
Yeah I got along and saw a couple as well, disappointing that it’s been delayed so close to the start. Waiting for a cal twomey article to come out as he’s the afl mouthpiece on the draft, and will most likely be one of the first to report what’s going to happen with the season.

Last edited:
Some key take aways from article on Nab League testing day:
Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - 93cm Running Vertical Jump, 2.945 20m Sprint, 21.3 yoyo ( Elite in all Categories)
Jackson Cardillo - 2.88 20m Sprint
Charlie Lazzaro - 22.3 yoyo, 7.79 agility test (0.02 off stephen hill's all time record)
Noah Gadsby - 22.3 yoyo

Some key take aways from article on Nab League testing day:
Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - 93cm Running Vertical Jump, 2.945 20m Sprint, 21.3 yoyo ( Elite in all Categories)
Jackson Cardillo - 2.88 20m Sprint
Charlie Lazzaro - 22.3 yoyo, 7.79 agility test (0.02 off stephen hill's all time record)
Noah Gadsby - 22.3 yoyo
Far out they are some unbelievable numbers from Jamarra. He’s an athletic freak to go along with being a spearhead forward. Can’t think of many prospects who are generating as much excitement as him. Do you agree?

Far out they are some unbelievable numbers from Jamarra. He’s an athletic freak to go along with being a spearhead forward. Can’t think of many prospects who are generating as much excitement as him. Do you agree?
From a Dogs perspective sure. From opposition fans perspective nah.

Quite a few on the GC board are looking at Denver Granger-Barras.

Some Lions fans are looking at Riley Thilthorpe.

There would have been many fans looking at Elijah Hollands. And disappointed that he injured himself.

Fans tend to get a hard on for what their club needs.

JUH looks like a good prospect, but there was more hype and excitement about the King Twins and Rankine than there is about JUH.

From a Dogs perspective sure. From opposition fans perspective nah.

Quite a few on the GC board are looking at Denver Granger-Barras.

Some Lions fans are looking at Riley Thilthorpe.

There would have been many fans looking at Elijah Hollands. And disappointed that he injured himself.

Fans tend to get a hard on for what their club needs.

JUH looks like a good prospect, but there was more hype and excitement about the King Twins and Rankine than there is about JUH.
I thought there have been a few involved in under 18s footy on here who have started threads with Jamarra right at the top going into this year.

I don’t think he could have done much more to garner any more excitement than he did. 26 goals in 9 games of footy as an underaged player compared to Max King Kicking 10 goals in 7 games in his first year. I’ve watched both and in terms of talent I think they’re very similar.

Jamarra is an interesting case on a few levels, i agree he is generating a heap of excitement which is can be media driven. Yes he one of the top prospects of the class, but i believe he will receive at lot more hype from the media as he's a NGA already tied to a club, while possibly being a potential pick 1. With this drafts narrative being apparently 'the most compromised ever' (which its not) he will be the face of that in articles, and the media knows that will generate clicks. On the other side of that it looks likely we wont get a full season of u18 football away so we'll never know what sort of year Jamarra couldve potentially put together ( Kicking bags for Oakleigh/ Vic Country) thus generating more hype. Jamarra is definitely is an exciting prospect and could be anything, although coming into the year i had him behind Hollands (who wont play a game this year) and Thilthorpe (who has grown to 201cm as a KPF).
I thought there have been a few involved in under 18s footy on here who have started threads with Jamarra right at the top going into this year.

I don’t think he could have done much more to garner any more excitement than he did. 26 goals in 9 games of footy as an underaged player compared to Max King Kicking 10 goals in 7 games in his first year. I’ve watched both and in terms of talent I think they’re very similar.
Max played his entire underage national champs while Jamarra didnt play a single game for Vic Country last year. I mentioned this on a few threads late last season, in the games Jamarra played for oakleigh he had silver service leading out of the forward line, most of his goals came from simple lead into the space and rowell/anderson hitting him lace out every time. My question was, if he was playing for GWV (where he is from) or a team like Western Jets who have a terrible midfield, what sort of output would we see from him week to week, because he wouldnt be getting the same sort of delivery. Thats not taking anything away from him as i reckon he's a very exiting forward prospect, but i guarantee if he was playing for GWV he wouldnt have kicked 26 goals from 9 games. Thats the difficult job for recruiters, especially when looking at forwards that are playing in a team with poor ball users, at GWV he might make 5 really good leads where he has the defender beat and get hit on the chest once, where at Oakleigh its 5 shots at goal.

Last edited:
Jamarra is an interesting case on a few levels, i agree he is generating a heap of excitement which is can be media driven. Yes he one of the top prospects of the class, but i believe he will receive at lot more hype from the media as he's a NGA already tied to a club, while possibly being a potential pick 1. With this drafts narrative being apparently 'the most compromised ever' (which its not) he will be the face of that in articles, and the media knows that will generate clicks. On the other side of that it looks likely we wont get a full season of u18 football away so we'll never know what sort of year Jamarra couldve potentially put together ( Kicking bags for Oakleigh/ Vic Country) thus generating more hype. Jamarra is definitely is an exciting prospect and could be anything, although coming into the year i had him behind Hollands (who wont play a game this year) and Thilthorpe (who has grown to 201cm as a KPF).

Max played his entire underage national champs while Jamarra didnt play a single game for Vic Country last year. I mentioned this on a few thread late last season, in the games Jamarra played for oakleigh he had silver service leading out of the forward line, most of his goals came from simple lead into the space and rowell/anderson hitting him lace out every time. My question was, if he was playing for GWV (where he is from) or a team like Western Jets who have a terrible midfield, what sort of output who we see from him week to week, because he wouldnt be getting the same sort of delivery. Thats not taking anything away from him as i reckon he's a very exiting forward prospect, but i guarantee if he was playing for GWV he wouldnt have kicked 26 goals from 9 games. Thats the difficult job for recruiters, especially when looking at forwards that are playing in a team with poor ball users, at GWV he might make 5 really good leads where he has the defender beat and get hit on the chest once, where at Oakleigh its 5 shots at goal.
I thought it was crazy that he wasn’t picked for vid country in the under 18s. The guys Who were picked in my opinion were top age players so they had the chance to showcase their talent to recruiters. They didn’t come close to having the season Jamarra had in the Nab league.

I thought it was crazy that he wasn’t picked for vid country in the under 18s. The guys Who were picked in my opinion were top age players so they had the chance to showcase their talent to recruiters. They didn’t come close to having the season Jamarra had in the Nab league.
Jamarra did a lot of his work in the back half of the season, he had limited nab league exposure coming into the champs so it’s a big ask to suddenly be playing on the best 18yos in the country. He still should’ve been given a game, maybe against the allies which they beat comfortably, although I dont think he was even in the squad (I may be wrong).

Is Baldwin gettable for Essendon?
Likewise Gadsby?
Baldwin is definitely gettable for Essendon, id have his range 5-20 currently. If Essendon have 2 first round picks (daniher leaving) theyll definitely be eyeing off either Thilthorpe or Baldwin and doddoro doesnt mind picking SA boys.
Gatsby will be a later pick at this stage, not sure if he'll get picked up if the draft is shortened. He'd be one that would definitely come back for a overage year in nab league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back