Draft Watcher andleanback's 2020 Draft Watch ** FINAL PHANTOM DRAFT **

Remove this Banner Ad

Final Phantom Draft ( 2 Rounds)

Obviously a few picks will change hands on draft night due to live trading and picks will move down depending where bids come.

1607330886309.png

1607330920167.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Georgiades performing so well this year, will help the Victorian boys draft chances who don’t get to play much footy this season.

is georgiades an exception rather than the norm though?

I think he's a freak athlete, with freak measurements (what's the blokes arm span / hand size they look well above normal) and a natural footballer.

I think it does show that teams watch these boys before there final year so its not like they haven't seen these kids that haven't been able to take the park this year.

But it does stop them from seeing the risers, the ones that stagnate, the guys who had injuries and want to see more of or were going to move into the midfield etc..

I was very keen to see McInnes with a bigger role at oakleigh and ford in the midfield at western.

is georgiades an exception rather than the norm though?

I think he's a freak athlete, with freak measurements (what's the blokes arm span / hand size they look well above normal) and a natural footballer.

I think it does show that teams watch these boys before there final year so its not like they haven't seen these kids that haven't been able to take the park this year.

But it does stop them from seeing the risers, the ones that stagnate, the guys who had injuries and want to see more of or were going to move into the midfield etc..

I was very keen to see McInnes with a bigger role at oakleigh and ford in the midfield at western.
Yeah of course, by no means I’m saying every kid coming in after missing their whole draft year will perform like him. I just think recruiters/ clubs looking at those kids will be able to use him as a measuring stick of some sort, for the kids that tick boxes a,b,c,d ( athletic ability, professionalism, drive to succeed etc) that they won’t have to much of a disadvantage in their development having missed a year. Technically they are kids coming of a 12 month injury (Hollands, Perez etc), but physically they are fine.
Yeah a few kids miss out on that, the ones who would’ve gone from playing half forward/back roles to spending a lot of time ball. Though if clubs really rated them in the first place, they’ll know the scope they possess and they’ll get picked up.

End of July Rankings
- Logan Mcdonald enters to the top 5 after exceptional wafl form.
- Jones, Poulter, Dumensy enter the top 30 after strong performances.
- Baldwin falls out of top 30 after another season ending injury

Players on the cusp: Blake Coleman, Jack Carroll, Tom Powell, Connor Downie.

View attachment 922067

I’d take one of Perkins or Berry if they got to Saints, what’s your opinion of Tom Powell?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Georgiades performing so well this year, will help the Victorian boys draft chances who don’t get to play much footy this season.

Georgiades is a unique player, he also had runs on the board before the season started.

I am more concerned about those Oliver types that really progress in their draft year, there will be a lack of exposure on those players.

I’d take one of Perkins or Berry if they got to Saints, what’s your opinion of Tom Powell?

Yeah i think they both would be a good fit in at the saints, although i think its most likely that saints used their first rounder during trade week to top up again. Yeah i like Powell, he's been in a rich vein of form and absolutely dominating the under 18s. While only slight in size he's a see ball get ball type of player who just continually finds the footy. I still have him outside the top 30 as i want to see more of him, but his form in the last month would almost have him as the best midfield prospect coming out of SA this year. Has good testing results aswell so athletically a tick, will just need to put on some size to be effective once he gets drafted.
Georgiades is a unique player, he also had runs on the board before the season started.

I am more concerned about those Oliver types that really progress in their draft year, there will be a lack of exposure on those players.

Yeah definitely, was always a fan of Georgiades and a few disagreed with me on here when i said he was first round talent months before the draft. I was just using him as an example for those players clubs would already be confident in (Phillips, Cox, Henry etc), that missing a year wont affect them that much coming into the afl system.

Its unlucky for them and you'd think most of those off radar types will miss out this year. Although it's not the end of the world, theyll get a chance again next year to prove their worth. If there are the Oliver types in this crop then they should come back at dominate the nab league as 19 year olds, with their bodies having an extra year of maturity. I have heard that a few Victorians boys have really hit the gym to build muscle in this period.

I have heard Ford described as aggressive forward mid ... what sort of player are we talking a Mitch Robinson X Caddy type..?
Someone mentioned to me, his best is Daisy Thomas like. Hasn’t shown the consistency or has the body of work as a junior. But his best is eye catching.

I have heard Ford described as aggressive forward mid ... what sort of player are we talking a Mitch Robinson X Caddy type..?
Yep Ford is an interesting prospect, he’s probably one of the most talented in the draft but hasn’t put it all together yet. Played mostly as a high half forward last year that got up the ground as a link player but is also very good at the contest and uses the ball well in close. He would’ve played more minutes in the midfield this year, so no one really gets to see his progression unfortunately. Great mark overhead, penetrating kick (dual sided often uses his left to get out of trouble or open up the ground), good hands in close and rarely burns a teammate. He only kicked 7 goals I think last year, but at times was unselfish and gave many off to teammates inside 50 when most others would take the shot, could’ve easily had 15 or so. He’s nothing like Robbo or Caddy, he played like a more contested Curtis Taylor last year, even a bit like Cam rayner at times. If he makes a successful move into the midfield that will set him apart and then the comparisons get interesting. At his size and ability to take high flying/
contested marks he’d have the look of a young nat fyfe with the way he moved around the ground (he’s not as tall and I’m not saying he’s going to be as good as Fyfe, just has similar movements)

Last edited:
Someone mentioned to me, his best is Daisy Thomas like. Hasn’t shown the consistency or has the body of work as a junior. But his best is eye catching.
I don’t really see that as Thomas did his best work moving the ball on the outside. I feel as if once Fords body matures, his best work will be done on the inside.

Yep Ford is an interesting prospect, he’s probably one of the most talented in the draft but hasn’t put it all together yet. Played mostly as a high half forward last year that got up the ground as a link player but is also very good at the contest and uses the ball well in close. He would’ve played more minutes in the midfield this year, so no one really gets to see his progression unfortunately. Great mark overhead, penetrating kick (dual sided often uses his left to get out of trouble or open up the ground), good hands in close and rarely burns a teammate. He only kicked 7 goals I think last year, but at times was unselfish and gave many off to teammates inside 50 when most others would take the shot, could’ve easily had 15 or so. He’s nothing like Robbo or Caddy, he played like a more contested Curtis Taylor last year, even a bit like Cam rayner at times. If he makes a successful move into the midfield that will set him apart and then the comparisons get interesting. At his size and ability to take high flying/
contested marks he’d have the look of a young nat fyfe with the way he moved around the ground (he’s not as tall and I’m not saying he’s going to be as good as Fyfe, just has similar movements)

Sounds like a under valued potentially high ceiling player... ie Stephen Wells special.

Id not metally call Curtis Taylor aggressive, talented yes. Raynor yes I get that , DeGoey type. Any idea on his previous performance in Combine testing ?

Sounds like a under valued potentially high ceiling player... ie Stephen Wells special.

Id not metally call Curtis Taylor aggressive, talented yes. Raynor yes I get that , DeGoey type. Any idea on his previous performance in Combine testing ?
Yeah the Taylor comparison was more the roll he played at western last year, nothing to do with the aggression. There is a bit of de goey in him, but I’d want to see more explosive play when being sat deep and the Jets didn’t use him like that last year. He didn’t test this year due to a niggle (like many of the boys). I’ve heard last year his standing/ running verticals were both impressive, low 3s on the sprint and mid 8s on agility.

Last edited:
Yeah the Taylor comparison was more the roll he played at western last year, nothing to do with the aggression. There is a bit of de goey in him, but I’d want to see more explosive play when being sat deep and the Jets didn’t use him like that last year. He didn’t test this year due to a niggle (like many of the boys). I’ve heard last year his standing/ running verticals were both impressive, low 3s on the sprint and mid 8s on agility.

sounds like value to me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

End of August Rankings

A lot of movement this month with some eye catching performances over in South and Western Australia.

- Logan Mcdonald rises to #2 after continuing his strong wafl form
- Jack Carroll enters the top 20 after his strong form in the colts
- Powell and Maher enter the top 30

Players on the cusp: Brayden Cook, Jackson Callow, Jack Ginnivan, Connor Downie.

Thinking of releasing a non Vic top 30 in the next week or so based off this year. I've tried to do these rankings through recruiters eyes who will not continually push Victorian talent right down the order just because they arent playing this year, especially the kids who wouldve blossomed in their top age year with another year of physically maturity and getting increased game time in key roles.

1598937758611.png

I Like it mate, I have a few in different spots, but I think everyone there is justified :)

Jack Carrol? How is he? What’s he like?

Good sized outside mid, 188cm currently. Has had an extremely impressive season in the colts to push his name into first round calculations. Can roll through half back as well as his usually wing position. Smooth mover with elite foot skills and screams class. He’s one of those players that looks to have endless time on the field and is not rushed trying to find the right target. Needs to work on his contested game but I’m sure that will come with time.

Good sized outside mid, 188cm currently. Has had an extremely impressive season in the colts to push his name into first round calculations. Can roll through half back as well as his usually wing position. Smooth mover with elite foot skills and screams class. He’s one of those players that looks to have endless time on the field and is not rushed trying to find the right target. Needs to work on his contested game but I’m sure that will come with time.

Good to know. Thanks.

October Rankings

- Lachie Jones continues to impress for Woodville
- Brayden Cook enters the top 30 after a strong season for South Adelaide
- Blake Coleman slides back in after a great performance in the QAFL Grand final
- Joel Western again impressed in the Colts GF and is looking like a top 30 player imo

Players on the cusp: Oliver Davis, Joel Western, Bailey Laurie, Zac Dumensy, Baldwin the wildcard (could go anywhere 15-60 on draft night)

I'll be doing my first phantom draft after the grand final.

1601959694997.png

Attachments

• 1601958818540.png
    1601958818540.png
    34.4 KB · Views: 358
  • 1601959461132.png
    1601959461132.png
    34.4 KB · Views: 356
Nathan O'Driscoll on the skids drops from 10 to 17?
Yeah I had him too high last month and I think there’s little chance he’s goes near 10 on draft night. I know his kicking isn’t an issue for others, but going back and watching his games again, it’s an area of his game he needs to improve to be afl standard. Also whispers that he had grown to 191-192cm got me excited for what he could become at that size. Too see he was still 187cm at testing was a tad disappointing, hopefully he still has some growing left in him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back