Draft Watcher andleanback's 2020 Draft Watch ** FINAL PHANTOM DRAFT **

Remove this Banner Ad

Final Phantom Draft ( 2 Rounds)

Obviously a few picks will change hands on draft night due to live trading and picks will move down depending where bids come.

1607330886309.png

1607330920167.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Means it will be probably the shortest draft in history if u take out the rookie elevations, how many new players do you expect to get picked now?
I reckon 45-55 picks. Clubs like Richmond Brisbane etc will only take 1-2 picks. But most bottom 8 clubs will take 3-4 kids. Say essendon could have 3 top 10s plus Brand and Eyre. Or Adelaide and north theyll both take 4-5 kids.

I reckon 45-55 picks. Clubs like Richmond Brisbane etc will only take 1-2 picks. But most bottom 8 clubs will take 3-4 kids. Say essendon could have 3 top 10s plus Brand and Eyre. Or Adelaide and north theyll both take 4-5 kids.
One pick from GCS .

Brisbane will take two picks. Coleman and whoever is there at 25.

From outside your pick's up to 21. Baldwin, Poulter or Powell, might be the best fit for the Saints, with our 1st pick. Personally, I would take the risk on Baldwin & he fits our present need.

Last edited:
Yep 1 pick only because you’ll get your academy kids outside the draft, otherwise you’d be taking 3 kids minimum, Davies and Jeffery then maybe Lake or Fyfe
Either way Should not be a problem , pick 5 , pick 27 and 37 should be enough.

Great work mate

Q What do think of Demons trading up to picks 18 and 19?

They are backing in Jason Taylor to bring through some good new players.

Last year we traded our 2020 future first pick for North's 2019 first pick, then we split North's pick for 2 picks and ended up drafting Kozzie Pickett and Trent Rivers both of whom are best 22 which is bloody amazing effort by the boys.

Can you give us your view on who the Demons should get if they keep and use picks 18 and 19?

Could it even be less?
because clubs may keep a list spot or 3 for the mid season and the draft they have pre round 1 (the Sydney Stack draft)
And the picks some of the top clubs take, could be elevating their rookies as well?
So acutal new draftees could be as low as we have seen in a long time?

Could it even be less?
because clubs may keep a list spot or 3 for the mid season and the draft they have pre round 1 (the Sydney Stack draft)
And the picks some of the top clubs take, could be elevating their rookies as well?
So acutal new draftees could be as low as we have seen in a long time?
I don’t think it’ll be lower then 45. Some clubs are going to take 4 kids which will pump the numbers up
Say
Adelaide 5
North 5
Essendon 4/5
Sydney 3
Fremantle 3
Hawthorn 4

Thats 25 picks between 6 clubs.

But yes a lot of clubs will take 1 less rookie and leave a spot open for the ppe and let a few kids come and train.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re rookied players, delisted free agents, new rookies. 2 spots a team cuts it to about 46 Although a few more will be delisted in the coming days you’d think.
We’ve got two unsigned restricted free agents we expect to re-sign or re-draft on to the rookie list.

Then we’ll move a contracted player or two to the rookie list as well.
I'm just running on players yet to be explicitly delisted or retired - 716 players still on lists. 44x18 and a few extra for GC is almost 800 spots all up, down from 826 this year.

Last edited:
November Rankings

Top 30

View attachment 1009008

The next 19:

View attachment 1009009

Any questions fire away!
I have worked out that the Lions first pick which is 25 becomes pick 34 which is about where their academy player Coleman is being ranked. I know The Lions are keen on Coleman but also want to choose 2 players. So if a pick is made for Coleman before their first round pick do they take Coleman or do they let him go? Their next pick is way down so will they use it? Will they just take one pick? Is this allowed?

I have worked out that the Lions first pick which is 25 becomes pick 34 which is about where their academy player Coleman is being ranked. I know The Lions are keen on Coleman but also want to choose 2 players. So if a pick is made for Coleman before their first round pick do they take Coleman or do they let him go? Their next pick is way down so will they use it? Will they just take one pick? Is this allowed?
In such a scenario, I believe we’ll trade out our pick for a future pick, match a bid on Coleman with the later picks, and then either draft some one late or in the rookie draft, or look to utilise the SSP.

Might invite some interstate kids or delisted free agents to train with us over summer.

They ll have Coleman’s range of their draft board and if he gets bid on before that they might decide to let him go, as they’ve done with academy kids in previous years. Clubs are allowed to only take 1 pick if they choose to.

Who should your club target with its first pick/early picks

Part 1

Adelaide: With so many good talls available early they should look to pull the trigger on one, as next years draft is stacked with mids. Mcdonald or Thilthorpe would have their recruiters divided, i think they'll end up going with Thilthorpe as the home town boy. He may have not had the best season in the SANFL but people may forget how good is, if champs hadve taken place this year he wouldve dominated and many would have a different view on him. With 9 theyll like target a mid that falls to their pick to add some x-factor and class, either Bruhn or Perkins.

Brisbane: They are interesting case trading out their 2 late 1st rounders for 25 and a future 1st, are they targeting a specific player and think he'll still be on the board at 25, time will tell. Whether they are looking to go tall or small is another question. Do they look to bolster their ruck stocks and take a punt on Neale or Heath or do they look to add another dynamic midfielder in Maher or Ford. What ever the case theyll hope the bid for Coleman doesnt come early and wipe out their pick.

Carlton: Theyll be a big player in the 2nd round imo and dont be surprised if they look to live trade up on draft night if one the kids they rate highly is still on the board early in the 2nd round. Some more forward half talent with x-factor is what theyll be after. Ginnivan, Laurie or Stone would suit them perfectly but someone like Ford is one theyll be keeping their eye on, hoping they can turn him into a big inside mid to help out Cripps.

Collingwood: With a bid for McInnes coming anywhere between 10-30 theyll look to trade up into the top 10, how high they can get is another question. They'd love to get their hands on Mcdonald who is a massive collingwood fan and the key forward theyve been screaming out for, for the past 5 years. A player like Perkins would also be on their radar, he can add some x-factor into their forward half taking stephenson's spot and eventually build him into a midfielder to take over from Pendlebury and Sidebottom once they finish up.

Essendon: Currently holding the best hand at the table, but will they take all 3 to the draft either trading up higher or trading 1 out for a future 1st. You can almost lock in one of the picks being used on Reid or Cox who will add some young talent to their ageing tall stocks. Wouldnt be surprised if they bid on Jones who would suit essendon perfectly, but Port will be matching regardless. Some more midfield depth will also be on their shopping list, they are massive fans of Perkins, but dont discount them taking Bruhn - who will be high risk high reward. He hasn't had the the ideal underage career by any stretch but he's displayed he has immense talent any time he has played.

Fremantle: Its a toss of the coin what Fremantle do, do they go for a WA boy or pick a Victorian. 5/6 of their recent 1st rounders have come from Victoria so it shows their recruiters aren't worried about go home factor and back in their culture. Their tall stocks need suring up, they have plenty of talent of their list they just cant get on the park consistently. Cox would suit them perfectly playing that darcy moore role, Longmuire loves players who can use the ball and he can certainly do that, Chapman would also be another good tall option. Do they take Carroll who would add some class to their midfield as one of the best ball users in the draft or maybe look at Macrae who is another excellent user by foot. Theyll be getting Walker and Western as NGA's in the 20-40 range so itll be another strong draft for the dockers as they build an impressive list.

Who should your club target with its first pick/early picks

Part 1

Adelaide: With so many good talls available early they should look to pull the trigger on one, as next years draft is stacked with mids. Mcdonald or Thilthorpe would have their recruiters divided, i think they'll end up going with Thilthorpe as the home town boy. He may have not had the best season in the SANFL but people may forget how good is, if champs hadve taken place this year he wouldve dominated and many would have a different view on him. With 9 theyll like target a mid that falls to their pick to add some x-factor and class, either Bruhn or Perkins.

Brisbane: They are interesting case trading out their 2 late 1st rounders for 25 and a future 1st, are they targeting a specific player and think he'll still be on the board at 25, time will tell. Whether they are looking to go tall or small is another question. Do they look to bolster their ruck stocks and take a punt on Neale or Heath or do they look to add another dynamic midfielder in Maher or Ford. What ever the case theyll hope the bid for Coleman doesnt come early and wipe out their pick.

Carlton: Theyll be a big player in the 2nd round imo and dont be surprised if they look to live trade up on draft night if one the kids they rate highly is still on the board early in the 2nd round. Some more forward half talent with x-factor is what theyll be after. Ginnivan, Laurie or Stone would suit them perfectly but someone like Ford is one theyll be keeping their eye on, hoping they can turn him into a big inside mid to help out Cripps.

Collingwood: With a bid for McInnes coming anywhere between 10-30 theyll look to trade up into the top 10, how high they can get is another question. They'd love to get their hands on Mcdonald who is a massive collingwood fan and the key forward theyve been screaming out for, for the past 5 years. A player like Perkins would also be on their radar, he can add some x-factor into their forward half taking stephenson's spot and eventually build him into a midfielder to take over from Pendlebury and Sidebottom once they finish up.

Essendon: Currently holding the best hand at the table, but will they take all 3 to the draft either trading up higher or trading 1 out for a future 1st. You can almost lock in one of the picks being used on Reid or Cox who will add some young talent to their ageing tall stocks. Wouldnt be surprised if they bid on Jones who would suit essendon perfectly, but Port will be matching regardless. Some more midfield depth will also be on their shopping list, they are massive fans of Perkins, but dont discount them taking Bruhn - who will be high risk high reward. He hasn't had the the ideal underage career by any stretch but he's displayed he has immense talent any time he has played.

Fremantle: Its a toss of the coin what Fremantle do, do they go for a WA boy or pick a Victorian. 5/6 of their recent 1st rounders have come from Victoria so it shows their recruiters aren't worried about go home factor and back in their culture. Their tall stocks need suring up, they have plenty of talent of their list they just cant get on the park consistently. Cox would suit them perfectly playing that darcy moore role, Longmuire loves players who can use the ball and he can certainly do that, Chapman would also be another good tall option. Do they take Carroll who would add some class to their midfield as one of the best ball users in the draft or maybe look at Macrae who is another excellent user by foot. Theyll be getting Walker and Western as NGA's in the 20-40 range so itll be another strong draft for the dockers as they build an impressive list.
Cal Twomey believes a bid will come before 25 on Coleman come draft night seeing the Lions trade pick 25 and matching with later picks and finding away to get back inside the top 30 picks

Cal Twomey believes a bid will come before 25 on Coleman come draft night seeing the Lions trade pick 25 and matching with later picks and finding away to get back inside the top 30 picks
I missed where he mentioned that, do you have a link please, or point me in the direction.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back