Toast Andrew Bassat

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we’re lucky that Bassatt took over and saved us from Lethlean setting us back another 10 years (Gallagher and Rath joint heads of football, the man should be in jail) but I’m not crowning anyone anymore until we at least start finishing top 4. We always think the next guy is the one that will save us so I’m trying not to fall for that anymore.
He seems to have a happy knack of recruiting good people for the right job...he should maybe set up a recruiting company...oh wait!!

You can definitely see a step wise progression from 2012.
Step 1 Get the back office to stop leaking money and re-establish our brand. Minimise the recruiting of dickheads both players and staff, ineffective is okay but no dickheads.

Step 2 Capitilise on stabilised finances. Build brand by moving back to Morrabbin. Watters and Pelchen both had inflexible egos viz dickheads are gotten rid of and Richo hired bland bland bland buy not a dickhead.

Step 3 back of house making money and no waves for AFL, keep building momentum stay with no dickheads policy....replace playing list scared by Richo and replace Richo as well. Get a better version of Richo in Ratts once again can be relied upon to not be a dickhead...Saints become almost boring and are not in the headlines but are playing finals with a list of nobodies.

Step 4 replace nice bloke Ratten with new cuddly RTB and surround him with solid Saints citizens....no dickheads again added by solid back office backing. Finally Saints can be Saints with own identity all pulling the same way...we got here by the steps previous managements put in place.

But mainly got rid of dickheads that were not pulling in the one direction...we seem to reward loyalty over competency but potentially a dickhead.

Josh Bruce is a good example of that...loved the bloke but he was not pulling the group in the right way.

Step out of line at StKilda now and you will be shown the exit door PDQ. We stand for no dickhead behaviour at our club.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bassett was asleep at the wheel in his first 4 years which was evident in the circuis between Ratts re-signing and sacking.

If you are familiar with what Bassett had on his plate outside of the club in his business dealings then you can understand why he'd didn't have too much time to do his job competently at the club leading up to Lyon's appointment.

I'm not willing to start slapping anyone on the back yet because Bassett hasn't achieved anything that matters such as winning silverware.

Bassett now needs to be more vigilant than ever after making a Captain's pick in Lyon and then set about to make him the most powerful person at the club. That style of management comes with risks, mainly because all of your eggs are in one basket and it's a deck of cards.

It was always obvious Bassett had realised he'd stuffed up by falling asleep at the wheel and deflected attention away from himself when he went all chips in on Lyon especially in the manner it was done. The media were all away on holidays and he never faced proper media scrutiny over his presidency leading up to the Lyon appointment.

This whole Lethlean departure saga really has a smelly whiff about it so not sure why Bassett would be attracting any praise over it.

All will end well if Lyon keeps on winning however the other issue that has never faced proper media scrutiny is Lyon's record at Freo. He had a winning record of only 33% in his final 4 years there which is the same as Richos record. Freo had to sack Lyon before the very real threat of departures from players and staff. It was toxic to say the least and Lyon's ability to develop a young list was at the heart of the discontent. Hardly the perfect record for a candidate to coach a list rebuild.

So as I say, I'm not inclined to start slapping Bassett on the back just yet, not at least until I see some results that matter...like silverware.

Back slapping on hold for now.

I'm very curious to see what happens to Bassat after this year - he began as president in December 2018 so his 6 years will be up.

While I think the term limit is generally a good thing, in this circumstance I do believe we should be considering an exception for 2-3 years. Now he has gotten more involved things are improving and I think a change in president (which can also lead to a change in direction) is not what we need right now.

I'm very curious to see what happens to Bassat after this year - he began as president in December 2018 so his 6 years will be up.

While I think the term limit is generally a good thing, in this circumstance I do believe we should be considering an exception for 2-3 years. Now he has gotten more involved things are improving and I think a change in president (which can also lead to a change in direction) is not what we need right now.
Lock him in Vlad style for life

Everything has improved steadily since Bassat took over. I would like to see the directors hand him another six year reign.

I see no reason not to do so. He's a success. He not only talks the talk but actually gets s**t done where so many others fail.

i agree. why is out constitution like this. seems a bit ****ed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I couldn't agree more, I'm actively pushing for this to happen.

Lyon won't survive without Bassat in the long term and the club is clearly a two man management system so it makes complete sense for Bassat to remain in the role.

I think Bassat and Lyon should be given at least another 6 years after Lyon's first contact ends.

This is because I believe a coach like Lyon needs the longer landing strip similar to what has was afforded to Chris Scott and Malthouse.

If we are lucky we snag one flag, anything extra is a bonus but my point is this current regime has to be in it for the long game.

Don't be Impatient and don't take short cuts.

are you sure about that?

eddie mcguire pitched the original idea to bassatt on a yacht according to reports. eddie and ross are good friends.

i dont think i ever suggested there was a clash between watters and the president. i said there was a clash between pelchen and watters.
Was that Linsay Fox's one?

Do we at the same time want a no-name joker to come in and undo Bassat's work?

Eddie oversaw as many flags in his tenure as we've ever had.
I doubt Andrew will let that happen. I have no doubt any new president will be one he recommends. He won't let the joint fall apart .

If everyone wanted to keep him the problem is the members need to change the constitution.
Good luck doing that.

I couldn't agree more, I'm actively pushing for this to happen.

Lyon won't survive without Bassat in the long term and the club is clearly a two man management system so it makes complete sense for Bassat to remain in the role.

I think Bassat and Lyon should be given at least another 6 years after Lyon's first contact ends.

This is because I believe a coach like Lyon needs the longer landing strip similar to what has was afforded to Chris Scott and Malthouse.

If we are lucky we snag one flag, anything extra is a bonus but my point is this current regime has to be in it for the long game.

Don't be Impatient and don't take short cuts.

How are you doing that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back