I think Andrew Demetriou is as crooked as they come

Remove this Banner Ad

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
He must have known all along about the games drug problems and refused to do anything about as he knew it would damage the games image. He must have known what was going on at Essendon, but refused to act until he knew the testers were in town.

For all the good things he done for the game its out weighed by the Essendon drug saga and for me that will be his legacy.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney

hoianbulldog

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2006
Hoi An, Vietnam. I am off the grid.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
As if you don't know already....

26ef34b27168646a8167e5fcdb11e4f7
is it just me?

kenny-bania-1.jpg

Apr 12, 2011
Yarraville
AFL Club
Sydney
This is nothing new, the private learning sector has been a haven for the unscrupulous for at least 20-30 years.

I actually have less of a problem with what he has done but more of a problem with the taxpayer subsidies that these companies get. Especially when they are charging twenty grand a pop for a 3 month course which is worth bugger all.

Hopefully with him being a high profile player it can shine more of a light on these shoddy companies but I doubt much will change

Apr 12, 2011
Yarraville
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't know why this is such a topic of discussion. Name me a company head or CEO that isn't in it for themselves and corrupt.

In this instance, technically he was neither. Compared to the directors I think he was just skimming off the top, they would have made a lot more out of this.

If anyone has seen the Fargo series, this reminds me a little of Series 2. Company goes bankrupt due to astronomical debt but the execs worth "unexpectedly' goes up and they suddenly 'retire'

Captain Morgan

Club Legend
Feb 3, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't know why this is such a topic of discussion. Name me a company head or CEO that isn't in it for themselves and corrupt.
All individuals have a level of self interest as we all want money power and influence, to varying degrees.

I nominate bill gates as a pretty charitable dude, does more for the needy than some countries even.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon

Bit of a sweeping statement. This issue surrounds illegal behaviour. Not sure you can say every company head engages in illegal behaviour.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
This is nothing new, the private learning sector has been a haven for the unscrupulous for at least 20-30 years.

I actually have less of a problem with what he has done but more of a problem with the taxpayer subsidies that these companies get. Especially when they are charging twenty grand a pop for a 3 month course which is worth bugger all.

Hopefully with him being a high profile player it can shine more of a light on these shoddy companies but I doubt much will change
Fat Andy sniffs out these companies where its easy to make money at the expense of the taxpayer, like a pig stiffs out truffles. It wont be long before the fat man finds another company where he can do the same thing.
Watch this space.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

crocsta

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Anyone involved with Acquire learning should be in jail.

It was a massive fraud on Every Australian tax payer and also the most vulnerable in our society.

They model was to pressure vulnerable people to sign up for high cost sham courses, then collect funding from Govt, with the knowledge that most students would never complete the degree or ever be able to repay their $30k debts back to Govt.

The debt is never relayed so tax payers effectively foot the bill.

Money straight from taxpayers to these criminals.

Sounds like Andy was assisting criminals steal from everyday Australians, and potentially receiving proceeds of crime.

I was working in higher education at he time these businesses were operating. I knew they were criminals and would scribble messages such “this is a fraudulent company and a scam” over their marketing materials outside their office. I would yell at their staff to tell them they should be ashamed to be working for them.

Next time you see Andy, remember it’s your tax that has paid for his lifestyle... in fact the loans are still going bad, so you’re still paying for it now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
He must have known all along about the games drug problems and refused to do anything about as he knew it would damage the games image. He must have known what was going on at Essendon, but refused to act until he knew the testers were in town.

For all the good things he done for the game its out weighed by the Essendon drug saga and for me that will be his legacy.

Demetriou was very much aware of what happened at Essendon and did all he could to help cover up. He, Gil, etc have all realised that their wallets fatten if Carlton, Collingwood, Richmond and Essendon are successful, given their member numbers.

The AFL need to measure its senior leaders on more than just crowd number or revenues. Monopoly is as Monopoly does...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back