Andrew Fagan

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems like he’s been relegated to the back bench. That could be all his doing or his incompetence but it’s reasonable to suspect he’s been put there by the people with the real power at the club. From the start he’s alway been guarded about what he says like he’s had to fall in line with the established mindset at the top.

Is it so unreasonable to see it that way?

yes. Honestly it is.

what you describe is not a normal relationship between board and CEO.

There should be at least some evidence before offering him that lifeline

Jesus H Christ!!!!!

I would not be admitting that!!
That would be right though. Pyke began in 2016 and they would have had a plan to win a flag in a five year window. Obviously had a chance in 2017 and couldn’t get the job done. Then Pyke and Burton dug their own graves and the window was abruptly shut.

I think we were always destined to point our collective fingers at whoever was unlucky enough to be accepted for a position on this board.
It's been like watching the Titanic slowly sinking since 2009. The iceberg was Tippet , Father Tony that is , this single debacle has infected the next 15yrs.
Reid and Trigg may have been an active part ,though we all know this back door business has been the norm for years and I doubt ( as Eddie McGuire mentioned at the time ), if they dug deep enough they wouldn't find the same breach with most clubs at some point . Sacking Neil (pssst Caro, wanna know a secret )Craig really put the wheels in motion. The resulting sanctions, the lack of foresight from Sanderson & Noble with letting go of one of the true club men and the glue of the club at the time, Bernie Vince ,was when the band started playing.Our lifeboat was Dangerfield , not only did he bring much needed excitement to the club, his leaving after the Phil Walsh tragedy was the catalyst for heart and spirit we have struggled to find since 2009, I think we all know our grand final was beating him and Geelong in 2017, after that, the lights went out.
Having said that, how we have allowed this ship to keep sinking with out sending out an SOS is beyond belief. How a group of inexperienced ex players (who initially provided so much joy ) can gladly take home an unjustified, unquestionable healthy pay packet while watching the ship go down , this coupled with such inexperienced " football people " such as our Chairman & CEO, all safe in the knowledge we the members can never vote them out.
Sadly , I think the " Carpathia " is still more than a few nautical miles away and a rescue is at least a few years away, oh, and yeah , i agree Fagan's gotta go, I'm just frightened there will still be a few inconspicuous barnacles left hanging on. As members, we have to retain our right to vote.

This is a red herring the club has started to throw out in their communications with us and in the media to justify themselves.

But we made a GF in 2017.

We had our pants pulled down in the GF, we are currently the worst club in recent history.

No ones disagreeing with you mate....
We were the best team that year, no doubt about that!
The way we got pillaged in that the GF, proved how ******* mentally piss weak these grown men were!

No ones disagreeing with you mate....
We were the best team that year, no doubt about that!
The way we got pillaged in that the GF, proved how ******* mentally piss weak these grown men were!

That minor round wasn't particularly dominant. 15 wins normally falls into 4th. We had the same amount of wins the year before come finals.

That minor round wasn't particularly dominant. 15 wins normally falls into 4th. We had the same amount of wins the year before come finals.

Look you can re-write history all u like that’s the facts! We won the minor premiership destroyed gws and the cats and quite frankly were favourites going into the Gf.
You can’t say that it was a blip, we built up to it!
The issue is since then and what in ******* hell has happened

Look you can re-write history all u like that’s the facts! We won the minor premiership destroyed gws and the cats and quite frankly were favourites going into the Gf.
You can’t say that it was a blip, we built up to it!
The issue is since then and what in ******* hell has happened

That's the exact culture of our club. Look at our greatness in isolation. Good for you, I don't see it myself.

That's the exact culture of our club. Look at our greatness in isolation. Good for you, I don't see it myself.

Mate this is the Fagan thread.
Follow the conversation, the point I made is that when he came in at the end of 2014, the club had improvement culminating to a minor premiership and a GF! The coaching team assembled during Phils era was top notch.

Again my point is something has happened to Fagan role and he doesn’t seem to have much of a say on the football side of the business.

The "5 year plan" commenced with Phil and Fagan's appointment. Remember Phil talking about when he thought we'd be contending.

2 factors undid them. Phil's death and Roo's hubris/arrogance. You can safely say that Fagan relied heavily on Roo's "football knowledge" when making appointments, and those appointments have all been bad and had major impact on the teams performance.

I'm not as anti Fagan as many - I think he's done his job to a large extent. I think you'll find that the 3 Amigos (Roo, Phil and Fagan) came in with a plan.

Fages: grow the club
Phil: coach the team
Roo: get control of the Board, oversee Footy Ops.

Fages gets a tick from me in that scenario.

Chapman wasn't part of the solution originally imo. He was on the board to watch over the bank's investment. He's not a footy guy. But he got thrust to the front when Phil died, and got a taste of being a real footy club chairman. He earnt a lot of respect for the way he handled himself and the club through that, and rightly so. Trouble is, he's not a footy guy (or even a sport guy, really). But having been thrust forward, he's had to start protecting his position, and you then see the kind of stuff we saw from him publically last year.

So I don't think Fagan is the problem really, although I'd prefer a CEO who was a little more authentic in his dealings with members and didn't alienate supporters in his quest to meet his KPIs. I don't even think Chapman is the problem really, although I'd prefer a more dynamic chairman with more care for the club than his own prestige.

Roo is the problem. Not because he doesn't care, but because he simply isn't the right person to be making judgement calls on personnel. Apart from Phil, every one of his appointments has not only been wrong, but been dire and have all smacked of jobs for mates. He either has to go, or he has to become a more passive board member. I don't like him running LMC and being Director Footy Ops. Him and JR have made some weird LM and contract decisions that haven't worked out.

Bottom line for me: they had their crack at a five year plan and been largely successful off field. On field they took the squad to a GF but showed themselves to be inept at List Management and destroyed our once coveted fitness program. Footy Ops has been a failure.

So the CEO can stay, with an asterisk, but the Director Footy Ops should probably go. He's far too Teflon for my liking and deserves far more scrutiny.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The "5 year plan" commenced with Phil and Fagan's appointment. Remember Phil talking about when he thought we'd be contending.

2 factors undid them. Phil's death and Roo's hubris/arrogance. You can safely say that Fagan relied heavily on Roo's "football knowledge" when making appointments, and those appointments have all been bad and had major impact on the teams performance.

I'm not as anti Fagan as many - I think he's done his job to a large extent. I think you'll find that the 3 Amigos (Roo, Phil and Fagan) came in with a plan.

Chapman wasn't part of the solution originally imo. He was on the board to watch over the bank's investment. He's not a footy guy. But he got thrust to the front when Phil died, and got a taste of being a real footy club chairman. He earnt a lot of respect for the way he handled himself and the club through that, and rightly so. Trouble is, he's not a footy guy (or even a sport guy, really). But having been thrust forward, he's had to start protecting his position, and you then see the kind of stuff we saw from him publically last year.

So I don't think Fagan is the problem really, although I'd prefer a CEO who was a little more authentic in his dealings with members and didn't alienate supporters in his quest to meet his KPIs. I don't even think Chapman is the problem really, although I'd prefer a more dynamic chairman with more care for the club than his own prestige.

Roo is the problem. Not because he doesn't care, but because he simply isn't the right person to be making judgement calls on personnel. Apart from Phil, every one of his appointments has not only been wrong, but been dire and have all smacked of jobs for mates. He either has to go, or he has to become a more passive board member. I don't like him running LMC and being Director Footy Ops. Him and JR have made some weird LM and contract decisions that haven't worked out.

Bottom line for me: they had their crack at a five year plan and been largely successful off field. On field they took the squad to a GF but showed themselves to be inept at List Management and destroyed our once coveted fitness program. Footy Ops has been a failure.

So the CEO can stay, with an asterisk, but the Director Footy Ops should probably go. He's far too Teflon for my liking and deserves far more scrutiny.

You are being way too lenient and forgiving.

Fagan is garbage.

Fagan has been placed in charge of the entire operation by the board, if he is failing the board are responsible and need to replace him, i have no doubt they will

As for the board not roo or jammo or Ellis or Chapman, if the board as a whole are failing we as members can get rid of two of them and the AFL can take care of the rest if they feel they are failing, but the board aren't individuals each member gets one vote only

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Overall a fair explanation of the 5 year plan, but all 3 must go. If the 5 year plan results in our current state - good intentions aside, obviously - then you have no choice but to go.

If we are in the 5th year of a 5 year plan which should have seen us contending then haven’t they failed spectacularly?

This should be year 1 of the new 5 year rebuild plan, not year 5 of the “winning” one. Even then we’ve missed finals for 3 years of this “winning” plan.

Have you forgotten Chappy has overseen our 2 biggest scandals - Tippet-gate & the camp... taking us from one of the AFL powerhouse clubs to potentially the worst wooden spooners in a hundred years?

The fish rots from the head.

We won't turn this club around until Chapman *s off & we get a decent turnover of the board.

Agree we need other board members with football Intel as way too reliant on Roo, who has made some shocking decisions with no one to keep him in check.

Our current board is imbalanced & needs rectifying asap.

Unfortunately the culture of self preservation is too strong in this club.
The ability to objectively judge your own performance is extremely poor.
Surely as Director of Footy Operations, if you sack all your key dept executives one year and the club cant find a win and gets the wooden spoon the next year, you clearly need to resign your position.
Blind Freddy can see the failure and new people need to come in and be given an opportunity to change the course of the club.
Because what you have done in the past, has led to the disaster we currently have.

Have you forgotten Chappy has overseen our 2 biggest scandals - Tippet-gate & the camp... taking us from one of the AFL powerhouse clubs to potentially the worst wooden spooners in a hundred years?

The fish rots from the head.

We won't turn this club around until Chapman fu**s off & we get a decent turnover of the board.

Agree we need other board members with football Intel as way too reliant on Roo, who has made some shocking decisions with no one to keep him in check.

Our current board is imbalanced & needs rectifying asap.
Oh you finally have worked out the board are individuals who have individual voting rights with no one having more voting rights than the other

Im happy to help with the education

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

That would be right though. Pyke began in 2016 and they would have had a plan to win a flag in a five year window. Obviously had a chance in 2017 and couldn’t get the job done. Then Pyke and Burton dug their own graves and the window was abruptly shut.

Yes the window was shut and our mind numbing selection results beginning from some years earlier made sure it closed completely. Clean this board out!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back