Roast Andrew Fagan's best football department

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
I'm sure we all clearly recall Fagan's boast of wanting to have the best football department in the land.

I'm sure we also feel that he has fallen well short of this.

I wonder if we might be able to look through the appointments we have made in the football department since he began and look at the qualifications/experience these appointees have had. Is it as poor as we think?

Anyone have a record of appointments or have time to do a bit of a search?

That bloke went alright. He recruited Caven, Goodwin, Jarman, Johnson etc.
he just couldn't coach his way out of a wet fart

At the moment, I think Pykey needs to just go off his tree at the players every training session and every game until they snap themselves out of it.

The players are just being lazy and are spending too much time soaking in the limelight and not focusing on the game itself. Turning up to games not switched on over the past four weeks is not good enough.

At the moment, I think Pykey needs to just go off his tree at the players every training session and every game until they snap themselves out of it.

The players are just being lazy and are spending too much time soaking in the limelight and not focusing on the game itself. Turning up to games not switched on over the past four weeks is not good enough.
There’s no culture of accountability at the club. Yelling is meaningless if you don’t follow through. Why do you think Blight worked? The team needs a massive clean out in both players and in the football department, but it’s doubtful that will happen.

There’s no culture of accountability at the club. Yelling is meaningless if you don’t follow through. Why do you think Blight worked? The team needs a massive clean out in both players and in the football department, but it’s doubtful that will happen.
This.
Club never does everything it can to be the best it can, it that makes sense. No sense of ruthlessness, or accountability.
It’s always they’ll do a good enough job (VB, Reilly, Mackay, Campo, Clarke, Hart, Burton, Haas, Francou).

Pyke did say at the grand final after match presser we lost because of lack of effort

It's looking like the players have not accepted his( very) public derision of them

I think the writing has been on the wall for this season since before it even started. When the story came out about the playing group returning to pre-season from their break in sub-par condition, the alarm bells started ringing then. Suggests that the professionalism and work ethic that was a hallmark of our preparation the past few years under Walsh / Pyke had slipped. This put us behind the 8 ball from the start, needing to get guys up to the required level in an already-short preseason. Probably no surprise we've had a bunch of soft tissue injuries if they had to flog the players all the way up to Christmas to get them to where they should have been at the START of preseason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no respect for this organisation. Mental weakness stems from our reputation as a nice club who don't make hard calls.

Melbourne made hard calls on Grimes and Trengove who did so much for the club at their worst, traded Watts.

I like most of our players but sheesh we're run by total losers.

Fagan isn't part of the boys club, he's an outsider, and thus would probably need guidance on football based decisions.

This is where the problem lies. Fagan is doing a great job with sponsors, memberships etc but he either needs to pull these decision makers into line, or get more heavily involved.

My fear is that if he pushes the issue, he gets fired.

From the outside looking in, but you can guarantee what it would be like working at the club. Plenty of backslapping and encouragement for all regardless of the situation, and when we lose, it doesn't matter, next week will be different. The CEO's office is clearly 100% focussed on money and turning a profit, and the boasting about having the best football department in the land was a sales pitch to get members to shell out their hard earned. How can you possibly go and employ Burton and Hass after the never ending injury crisis at Brisbane is simply beyond me. For the record, the Brisbane Lions reserves were so bad during that time that they couldn't go close to winning a NEAFL game, and finished bottom of the ladder. Sound familiar ?? Brisbane suddenly look on an upward trajectory since getting rid of those 2 donkeys. And a club that looked as though it had been building something special for a couple of years and had been using the least amount of listed players in the senior team league wide goes and employs them. We desperately need someone bold and brash at our club. Make bold decisions, call a spade a spade, and have a genuine desire to succeed. Having watched a series of Hell's Kitchen recently, someone with an attitude like Gordon Ramsey's would be a breath of fresh air. Instead we get s**t for brains morons who just want to be mates with everyone.

Fagan isn't part of the boys club, he's an outsider, and thus would probably need guidance on football based decisions.

This is where the problem lies. Fagan is doing a great job with sponsors, memberships etc but he either needs to pull these decision makers into line, or get more heavily involved.

My fear is that if he pushes the issue, he gets fired.

I don't mind the job Fagan is doing as far as the business side goes, but think not coming from an AFL background means we should have a really strong Head of Football type.

My concern is we keep promoting from within, and when we bring someone outside in it is in a lower position, so they can do their apprenticeship at the AFC and learn the AFC way?

How often do we fire someone who is doing an OK job, and replace them with someone who has a proven record of doing a great job? If we were serious we would look internationally to replace Hass (and if he's from football then he's led one of the top clubs in the same or higher position than we are hiring for), we'd then try and get somebody out of Richmond's fitness program to add to our program so they can tell us how to not stuff up a short pre-season (although that probably wont be a problem this year).

Having watched a series of Hell's Kitchen recently, someone with an attitude like Gordon Ramsey's would be a breath of fresh air. Instead we get s**t for brains morons who just want to be mates with everyone.

Is it really weird I was thinking the same? You, you, you, you, **** off, **** off, **** off, **** off. He also treats everyone equally, plays the ball not the player. Anything less than exception isn't good enough.

I don't mind the job Fagan is doing as far as the business side goes, but think not coming from an AFL background means we should have a really strong Head of Football type.

My concern is we keep promoting from within, and when we bring someone outside in it is in a lower position, so they can do their apprenticeship at the AFC and learn the AFC way?

How often do we fire someone who is doing an OK job, and replace them with someone who has a proven record of doing a great job? If we were serious we would look internationally to replace Hass (and if he's from football then he's led one of the top clubs in the same or higher position than we are hiring for), we'd then try and get somebody out of Richmond's fitness program to add to our program so they can tell us how to not stuff up a short pre-season (although that probably wont be a problem this year).
Peggy O'Neal did just that, went and got Neil Balme.

So how many ex afc players do we have working in some capacity at the club.

Roo, Jameson, Hart, Clarke, Robran, Smart, Burton. Anyone I missed? Would that be the norm at most clubs?

Peggy O'Neal did just that, went and got Neil Balme.

But we've got the same problem attracting coaching / admin talent that we do attracting playing talent - there are so many clubs in Melbourne that there's little incentive for anybody to move to Adelaide. Don't like the club you're working at now? You've got 9 other potential options to look at there before you have to think about uprooting yourself and your family and moving interstate. With the soft cap on spending now, we can't even really throw huge wads of cash at them to get them to come across.

Likewise, if you go looking internationally rather than just in AFL circles, yeah you could maybe land somebody good from European soccer clubs or US sports etc, but apart from the fact that they might not necessarily know what's best for the specific needs of AFL football and footballers, there's again the issue that there's so much more money flying around in those competitions that we'd struggle to entice them here with our budget. It would have to be somebody who already has a buttload of money and is just looking for a lifestyle change to move to Australia. And I don't know if somebody looking for an opportunity to kick back and relax is really what we need anyway.

So how many ex afc players do we have working in some capacity at the club.

Roo, Jameson, Hart, Clarke, Robran, Smart, Burton. Anyone I missed? Would that be the norm at most clubs?
Probably close to, if you look down at board level etc.

But given its Adelaide (the city not the club) its more than likely going to be higher than the average.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back