Andrew Gaff - Best player from the 2010 draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bennell, Hepple, Swallow all fine players. Would the Eagles have taken one of them in preference to Gaff ? Probably not, but if Gaff had been gone at pick4 any of those players would have made an adequate choice !

Thread reminds me of a Matt Rosa thread back when the Eagles were last flying talking about how this second year player could win both the Brownlow and the Coleman in time.....was some guy called Embers posted I think ;)

Heppell. Bennell coming, Swallow will play 200 games. Best of that draft so far.

Obviously going by potential and expectation instead of actual output.

Disagree with this. For some reason people seem to mark Swallow much harder than the other draftees, because he was number 1 perhaps?

He is already a bull and a very good player. He doesn't get fed the ball like Heppell and Gaff, he gets it himself. There were times last year where he was carrying the GC midfield.

Not sure how anyone could question Swallow's output.

During the Derby yesterday all I can remember shouting was; "Who the hell is on Gaff!?" The kid is a gun at finding space and his running patterns are second to none, not to mention his brilliant skills.

Just luv his work rate...

Not sure about the OP's call but Im very happy with the Gaffstar :)

The calls of AA are way off the mark, as are the best wingman calls.

The thread doesn't have a lot of merit but based on performance, this year only, he's easily top 5 and it's arguable who's the best at this stage.

Leave it at that?

Disagree with this. For some reason people seem to mark Swallow much harder than the other draftees, because he was number 1 perhaps?

He is already a bull and a very good player. He doesn't get fed the ball like Heppell and Gaff, he gets it himself. There were times last year where he was carrying the GC midfield.

Not sure how anyone could question Swallow's output.

Didn't question it. Just don't think it is as much as Gaff or Bennell or Heppell.

Put it this way, I want Swallow at WC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swallow is a jet - if he was offered up as a straight out swap for Gaff West Coast would jump in no time.

Love Gaffy though, works hard, runs well, looks after the footy. In time I'm sure his creativity by foot will grow too..

Swallow is a jet - if he was offered up as a straight out swap for Gaff West Coast would jump in no time.

Love Gaffy though, works hard, runs well, looks after the footy. In time I'm sure his creativity by foot will grow too..
i probably havent seen enough of Swallow, but at this stage there would be very few if any from Gaffs draft that i would trade Gaff for.

Averaging 26 touches and 6 marks a game in his second year. Reads the play beautifully and still has room for improvement. If he keeps going like he is we could have a Simon Black on our hands.

Cox? When NN has played he has clearly been better than Cox and I actually think Cox has been a little underwhelming, compared to the standard he has set for himself.

Waters definitely in the mix for a HB role.

Absolutely not - Was WC's best in Round 7 and 8 - Good in the Derby - Played more forward in Round 1 to 6 - He is a fair way ahead of Natanui.

Should be in the All Australian side at the moment, among 6 or 7 other eagles. Absolute gun and no doubts the best player from the 2010 draft.

Excuse me, the All-Australian side?
Really. Do you know how many midfielders are ahead of him at the moment?
Also 6-7 other Eagles would be whom?
Scooter is falling behind the top echelon of players and he will really only be competing for a midfield position (i.e. versing Thompson, Watson and Kennedy etc). No flank for Scooter.
Naitanui has been better than Cox, and could grab a ruck position. Two weeks out hurt him and so does his HO average, so unlikely.
Hurn and Shuey will not get spots the way they are playing.
Waters may be our best bet but it is still a longish shot.
Glass could sneak in but Rance, Richards and Henderson are a distance ahead of him.
So who else could it be?

Absolutely not - Was WC's best in Round 7 and 8 - Good in the Derby - Played more forward in Round 1 to 6 - He is a fair way ahead of Natanui.

Naitanui when he has been on the field has been better than Cox.
It may help that he has had more game time in the ruck but up until a fortnight ago Naitanui was clearly ahead.
He also played better than Cox on the weekend.

Naitanui when he has been on the field has been better than Cox.
It may help that he has had more game time in the ruck but up until a fortnight ago Naitanui was clearly ahead.
He also played better than Cox on the weekend.

Think if the AA team was picked today Cox and Waters are certainties - Rucks are interesting - Doubt that NicNat has been better than Ryder - He hasn't been better - And Ryder is a bit off AA contention.

Averaging 26 touches and 6 marks a game in his second year. Reads the play beautifully and still has room for improvement. If he keeps going like he is we could have a Simon Black on our hands.

It is a lot easier in today's footy getting 25 touches as an outside runner than it is getting 20 as an inside clearance player, particularly if you don't have the endurance of a Watson or a Judd. Hence why Ziebell is so highly rated at North but Anthony not so much.

That is not to say Gaff is purely an outside runner or that his touches are as meaningless as LA, as he is a jet. If you compare Swallow to Gaff then touches per game isn't a great indicator.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back