Andrew Gaff - Best player from the 2010 draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dodged a bullet with gold coast coming in,i wouldve taken bennell every day of the week

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Huge call given the awesomeness of Swallow, Bennell, Heppell as well but for me so far Gaff has surpassed all of these blokes and outside of WA he is flying under the radar big time.

I think people just see him as someone who is getting under the radar and getting a easy run on the wing but IMO there is much more to him then just that

His gut running is sublime. Not since Ben Cousins have I seen a player cover as much turf as Gaff does. He just doesnt stop running. Such a impressive thing to do at his age. Always running back to help out the defense. More then any other midfielder we have. He is great by foot too. Just the perfect player to have on a wing at Subiaco Oval. I dont think there is any player in the comp that runs more k's per game then he is atm.

Swallow for mine is top class but has a lower room for improvement + hasnt set the world alight this year thanks to injury. Bennell is flashy and pure class, but so far this season Gaff has outperformed anyone from the 2010 draft by some distance.

Just a superstar in the making
I do agree, Andrew Gaff is an exceptional talent and deserves recognition but I don't feel he is on the same level (yet) as Ben Cousins, he does cover the ground well but his kicking game isn't as perfect as Cousins but then if he does play more central he may get more opportunities on goal.

Gaff would have to be right up there at the top for the moment, some other good names too in Howe, Darling, Heppell and Parker. Prestia and Caddy also very handy now.

Also I'm a little bias but dont rule out Tom Lynch shooting up the rankings if he is injury free at the Tigers. Could be a nightmare matchup working in tandem with Jack Riewoldt.

Last edited:

I don't know about best player from 2010 draft but I'd argue we got the best return out of our 2010 draft picks.

We picked up Andrew Gaff, Jack Darling, Scott Lycett and Jeremy McGovern in that period.

Gaff, Darling, Lycett for 4, 26, 29 is gold. McGovern was a fat * for a few years. Who knew he'd become a gun?

Gaff is an excellent player. I don't know (or care really) whether people think he's top 10 or 20 or 50 in the comp or whatever but he's never going to be a Dangerfield, Fyfe, Martin type game breaking star of the game. He's very good at what he does and super consistent.

Gaff, Darling, Lycett for 4, 26, 29 is gold. McGovern was a fat **** for a few years. Who knew he'd become a gun?

Gaff is an excellent player. I don't know (or care really) whether people think he's top 10 or 20 or 50 in the comp or whatever but he's never going to be a Dangerfield, Fyfe, Martin type game breaking star of the game. He's very good at what he does and super consistent.
yep. Nailed that draft.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It's Tom Lynch easily.If a you had a choice you would pick Lynch over Gaff.

Easily? Not so sure about that (Didn't he just turn down more money than Lynch was offered?) Gaff was in brownlow medal contention last year before his brain fade. Lynch has only produced 1 truly great season since he started, and even then he was no where near the likes of Kennedy and Buddy that year. Lynch is still pure potential rather than actual output after 8 years in the system. Hell, Darling has had a better career up until this point. Right now, Losing Gaff and gaining Lynch for us would be a step backwards. All depends on what you need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Easily? Not so sure about that (Didn't he just turn down more money than Lynch was offered?) Gaff was in brownlow medal contention last year before his brain fade. Lynch has only produced 1 truly great season since he started, and even then he was no where near the likes of Kennedy and Buddy that year. Lynch is still pure potential rather than actual output after 8 years in the system. Hell, Darling has had a better career up until this point. Right now, Losing Gaff and gaining Lynch for us would be a step backwards. All depends on what you need.
Lynch averages more goals than Darling and has been All Australian while Darling has never even made the squad of 40 also Lynch has won multiple B&Fs granted at Gold Coast that isn't much of an achievement

Lynch averages more goals than Darling and has been All Australian while Darling has never even made the squad of 40 also Lynch has won multiple B&Fs granted at Gold Coast that isn't much of an achievement

Averaged more goals? Well, no he hasn't. And Darling has kicked more career goals, that's a fact. And over their entire careers, both average 1.9 goals a game. The exactly the same. Darling was also the best CHF in the league last year until he went down (would have easily been the best 40 otherwise). So I stand by my comment. And for the record, I'm not saying Darling is a better player than Lynch. I'm simply stating the point that Lynch hasn't been as good as some posters think he has.

And you completely missed the point of my reply. Lynch isn't "easily" picked over Gaff.

Last edited:
Yes easily, Gaff could lose it anytime and get 12 weeks for striking , a leopard doesn't change his spots.

Yes easily, Gaff could lose it anytime and get 12 weeks for striking , a leopard doesn't change his spots.

And yet Gaff still played more games than Lynch last year. I know I would prefer a hot heat than an injury prone forward. And Gaff has had a perfect record basically for 8 years, I think he has learnt his lesson.

No point debating with a Richmond supporter on this topic.

And yet Gaff still played more games than Lynch last year. I know I would prefer a hot heat than an injury prone forward. And Gaff has had a perfect record basically for 8 years, I think he has learnt his lesson.

No point debating with a Richmond supporter on this topic.
Well Gaff is one of the quality mids, but a quality big man is worth more. It's like saying who would you pick out of Tom Mitchell or Ben Brown, most clubs would pick Ben Brown.

Averaged more goals? Well, no he hasn't. And Darling has kicked more career goals, that's a fact. And over their entire careers, both average 1.9 goals a game. The exactly the same. Darling was also the best CHF in the league last year until he went down (would have easily been the best 40 otherwise). So I stand by my comment. And for the record, I'm not saying Darling is a better player than Lynch. I'm simply stating the point that Lynch hasn't been as good as some posters think he has.

And you completely missed the point of my reply. Lynch isn't "easily" picked over Gaff.
Lynch averages 1.94 while Darling averages 1.85 so yes Lynch does average more goals even if it is only slightly anyway you say Darling has had the better career you gotta remember that Lynch has had the massive disadvantage of playing for Gold Coast

The year all the talent dropped off and why we have have such a low standard of football.

Footballers from each previous years drafts were Martin/Danger/Selwood/Pendlebury/Fyfe (05-10), Franklin/Goddard/Ablett/Bartel/Hodge/Riewoldt for (00-05).

The league's going to need more than some Cripps fella that can't make a bottom side nearly as watchable and successful as Ablett did for Gold Coast

He wont ever get cited again for anything. It was a genuine mistake imo.

On topic, just thankful we got a gem with pick 4, which would have been pick 1 had GC not been introduced.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back