Andrew Gaff's penalty will be...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FreoMonocle

Premium Gold
AFL Club
Fremantle
https://www.theage.com.au/national/...t-player-with-broken-jaw-20180910-p502rn.html

ill just leave this here and again ask why AFL players should be exempt from the law like the common citizen or even in fact like their own brethren in lower leagues.
It's not one isolated broken jaw from a punch going before the magistrates, there have been several this year in the lower leagues. Seems to me, that is the standard by which we reasonably look at it (it is assault) - except AFL has magic pixie dust or something on it and it is not.

theyellowsash

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
because Fremantle fans are flogs of the highest order.
Or because people think that afl players are not above the law jstu because theyre rich and athletic entertainers, and should be subject to the same rules as the rest of us? Because any sensible person can recognise that while a dangerous tackle can be a poorly executed part of playing the game, roundhouse punches have never been and never will be part of actually playing football?

Brayshaws fathers opinion or forgiveness should have nothing to do with it.

AFL Club
St Kilda
Moderator #2,180
I wouldnt be against it but youd need to be very careful with how its reviewed and administered. As much as i detest the slipper slope arguments it would seem to be a risk here.

I think they should be putting more effort and thought into red cards to be honest.

JackOutback

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
The AFL doesn't want it and the players don't want it. That's why you won't see AFL players being charged by police. The genuine king hits behind play with intent are no longer seen in AFL, even this was a spur of the moment **** up.

XXRL

Club Legend
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Glory
The AFL doesn't want it and the players don't want it. That's why you won't see AFL players being charged by police. The genuine king hits behind play with intent are no longer seen in AFL, even this was a spur of the moment **** up.
It's still actually debatable whether this was a king hit behind play with intent or a spur of the moment **** up, as you put it.

JackOutback

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
It's still actually debatable whether this was a king hit behind play with intent or a spur of the moment **** up, as you put it.
Everyone connected, or close, to the situation seems to have accepted it was a spontaneous and out of character act. Now, if someone ran from 50m to hit someone in the back of the head, I think everyone and the AFL would be calling for charges. But as I say, those acts don't happen any more so I don't think we will ever see an AFL player charged.

XXRL

Club Legend
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Glory
Everyone connected, or close, to the situation seems to have accepted it was a spontaneous and out of character act. Now, if someone ran from 50m to hit someone in the back of the head, I think everyone and the AFL would be calling for charges. But as I say, those acts don't happen any more so I don't think we will ever see an AFL player charged.
Angus Brayshaw didn't. You stated it as fact, when it is far from fact. Maybe if it was tested in court one could speak confidently about intent.

Adelaide Hawk

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
I'm only entering this debate because I've often been fascinated by the term "out of character". Yes, out of character so far as he hasn't done it before, and possibly not likely to ever do it again. However, psychologists will tell you nobody ever does anything out of character, and pressure situations are when a person's true character can rise to the surface. That's my 20 cents worth.

its free real estate

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm only entering this debate because I've often been fascinated by the term "out of character". Yes, out of character so far as he hasn't done it before, and possibly not likely to ever do it again. However, psychologists will tell you nobody ever does anything out of character, and pressure situations are when a person's true character can rise to the surface. That's my 20 cents worth.
Exactly. Someone who skirts packs and avoids contact probably won’t ever thuggishly hit someone. If they do as soon as they’re closely checked it isn’t against character, they’ve just spent their life avoiding situations where their character can be tested.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

herculez09

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Exactly. Someone who skirts packs and avoids contact probably won’t ever thuggishly hit someone. If they do as soon as they’re closely checked it isn’t against character, they’ve just spent their life avoiding situations where their character can be tested.
Yet Brad Hill did exactly that at a Narre Warren nightclub.

Top Bottom