Andrew Gaff's penalty will be...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Sometimes you do. Plenty of pub fights start over something as innocuous as a bump leading to a spilled drink. Raised voices, push and shove and before you know it someone is going full Richie Vandenberg. But the context is different and there isn't some pub umpire watching proceedings ready to penalise the respective parties. Of the niggling and scragging I've seen to just WC players over the years (happens to all teams, but you can only see so much on TV) Brayshaw on Gaff would've registered somewhere between 0 and 5 out of 10. Miles short of Liberatore on Cousins etc.

Symptomatic of 2018. The next Cameron, Bugg, Gaff, whoever will cop the same outrage. Or more. If Gaff got 8 weeks the lynch mob will be calling for the next guy to get 10 or 12. You'd think at some level Gaff got off easy in the public eye because he's a choirboy, hard to imagine there would be another level of outrage had some dirty player done it. The current WC side is pretty dull but Chris Masten would've been in the stocks by 3QT - and that's just from the WC fans. Some villain like Sicily, oh boy wowee.

Steven Baker probably would've got a lifetime ban for a similar incident, considering he got a 12 week ban for a few jumper punches and a hand slap.

Aug 29, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Glory
Wtf dude. What I am saying that just because you cant do it at any random job, doesnt mean you cant do it in a footy game.
Who gives a s**t if you would get fired from punching someone at work. Thats so irrelevant in everyway.
Footy is a contact sport, some random office job is not.

Yes, and when you sign up to play footy you accept that you will be tackled, bumped, blocked, pushed etc and there is a risk of physical injury.

When you sign up to play footy, though, you don't sign up to cop a haymaker to the chin off the ball.

When I roll up to my office job I don't sign up to be tackled, pushed or accept any physical contact.

It's not that complicated - just because it's a contact sport, quite obviously it doesn't mean that anything goes.

Oct 3, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Yes, and when you sign up to play footy you accept that you will be tackled, bumped, blocked, pushed etc and there is a risk of physical injury.

When you sign up to play footy, though, you don't sign up to cop a haymaker to the chin off the ball.

When I roll up to my office job I don't sign up to be tackled, pushed or accept any physical contact.

It's not that complicated - just because it's a contact sport, quite obviously it doesn't mean that anything goes.
Apparently it is fairly complicated for you. In an office job you expect 0 contact, any physical contact past a pat on the back is grounds for firing.
Footy is different, you expect to get tackled, bumped, crunched whatever. Getting small jabs to the chest and such arent part of the game but are to be expected. Serious incidents like this arent firable offences in AFL but instead just weeks off.

The guy I replied to said they would be fired if they did what Gaff did. My point was that is such a useless comparison, not whatever the hell youre going on about. Anyone argument that involved what the consequence wouldve been in a normal job is just straight up trash.

Aug 29, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Glory
Apparently it is fairly complicated for you. In an office job you expect 0 contact, any physical contact past a pat on the back is grounds for firing.
Footy is different, you expect to get tackled, bumped, crunched whatever. Getting small jabs to the chest and such arent part of the game but are to be expected. Serious incidents like this arent firable offences in AFL but instead just weeks off.

The guy I replied to said they would be fired if they did what Gaff did. My point was that is such a useless comparison, not whatever the hell youre going on about. Anyone argument that involved what the consequence wouldve been in a normal job is just straight up trash.

Righto, missed that in your earlier posts then. Seems we agree.

What annoys me is the argument that "it's part of footy". I think Adam Simpson even said something along those lines.

No, being punched in the face way off the ball is not "part of footy" and nor should it be.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond

being tackled or bumped in order to win the ball is part of footy. even small 'jabs' are not and never have nor never should be. just because players were able to get away with it before the increase in video coverage doesnt mean it was ever actually part of the rules or intent of the game.

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Chest punch that went "horribly wrong" lol!!!
Nah!
Maybe that Frankston guy should claim his was also a chest punch that just went wrong.

Last edited:
Them layout guys

DkCj005U0AArZeA.jpg

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
Why is everyone ok with Brayshaws tactics? They are not legal, if he was '100mtrs' away from the play.
He was blocking Gaff from running and so Gaff should of been awarded a free kick, the umpires and the AFL have a lot to answer for. I've shown people from overseas our sport and everyone of them ask why are they are bumping into each other all the time? The game isn't even inplay or the ball is 100mtrs away, it looks terrible and all the kids playing want to copy this crap. AFL need to change the umpiring and award free kicks for this stuff which is happening off the ball
Possibly had the umpires applied these rules and paid a couple of free kicks for these type of illegal tactics, then the whole thing probably would never have occurred. Unfortunately they didn't and here we are!

Aug 29, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Glory
Possibly had the umpires applied these rules and paid a couple of free kicks for these type of illegal tactics, then the whole thing probably would never have occurred. Unfortunately they didn't and here we are!

LOLOLOLOLOL

Yeah, let's go with: "Umpires should give West Coast more soft free kicks so players aren't 'accidentally' punched in the face and left with a broken jaw and displaced teeth"

West Coast fans say the darndest things.

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
When you protect the willfully violent with minimal repercussions this sort of thing is bound to happen.
Brayshaw should sue the AFL for not providing a safe work place and Gaff for his actions.
7 commentators have plenty to answer for as well glorifying the rough elements of footy.
Think the Brayshaw family have already stated they won't be taking legal action.

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
LOLOLOLOLOL

Yeah, let's go with: "Umpires should give West Coast more soft free kicks so players aren't 'accidentally' punched in the face and left with a broken jaw and displaced teeth"

West Coast fans say the darndest things.
Not just talking about this game but ALL games. Umpires should pay free kicks for any illegal tactics whether off the ball or during play no matter who the team is. But unfortunately some Freo supporters seem to have a chip on their shoulders when it comes to do with anything related to WCE. We all need to grow up!

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
How lucky are Richmond?

No season ending injuries/suspensions.

Season ending injuries/suspensions to their two closest rivals (Naitanui/Gaff, Patton).

Imagine if Richmond lost (Nankervis and Edwards or Riewoldt or Caddy).
That's why they always say there's a lot of luck involved in winning a flag. Can remember Sydney having this luck during the 2005/2006 period.

Aug 29, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Glory
Not just talking about this game but ALL games. Umpires should pay free kicks for any illegal tactics whether off the ball or during play no matter who the team is. But unfortunately some Freo supporters seem to have a chip on their shoulders when it comes to do with anything related to WCE. We all need to grow up!

Agree that if they want to stop illegal tackles and hits off the ball they should pay them as free kicks consistently and it would stop.

But to put any blame on the umpires for Gaff's hit is far-fetched.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Righto, missed that in your earlier posts then. Seems we agree.

What annoys me is the argument that "it's part of footy". I think Adam Simpson even said something along those lines.

No, being punched in the face way off the ball is not "part of footy" and nor should it be.
Adam Simpson certainly didn't say that, and people running a microscope over every comment and assigning nefarious motivations to it has been a big part of the hysteria problem surrounding this case.

Aug 29, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Glory
Adam Simpson certainly didn't say that, and people running a microscope over every comment and assigning nefarious motivations to it has been a big part of the hysteria problem surrounding this case.

I'm not hysterical.

Look, he said 'that's footy' in his press conference, and then Adam Simpson said it to me again when we were teeing off at the sixth the other day.

You can check with Jay-Z or Bill Clinton if you don't believe me - they were there too.

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
Agree that if they want to stop illegal tackles and hits off the ball they should pay them as free kicks consistently and it would stop.

But to put any blame on the umpires for Gaff's hit is far-fetched.
I wasn't necessarily blaming the umpires but just pointing out if they had payed free kicks for any illegal tactics then maybe this incident could have been avoided. We will never know of course as it's purely hypothetical! However in saying that did notice at times particularly after the Gaff/Brayshaw incident the umpires did seem to lose control of the game but that's just IMO being at the game as saw a lot of what was going on away from the cameras.

BartBart

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 30, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I wasn't necessarily blaming the umpires but just pointing out if they had payed free kicks for any illegal tactics then maybe this incident could have been avoided. We will never know of course as it's purely hypothetical! However in saying that did notice at times particularly after the Gaff/Brayshaw incident the umpires did seem to lose control of the game but that's just IMO being at the game as saw a lot of what was going on away from the cameras.

I think you would need NFL numbers of umpires to catch some of the holding.

BartBart

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 30, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm not hysterical.

Look, he said 'that's footy' in his press conference, and then Adam Simpson said it to me again when we were teeing off at the sixth the other day.

You can check with Jay-Z or Bill Clinton if you don't believe me - they were there too.

Just be careful how hard you hit the iron onto the green. That 100m layup up is a lot closer than it looks. Wouldn't want you 70m over the back into the bunker.

Back