• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Just be careful how hard you hit the iron onto the green. That 100m layup up is a lot closer than it looks. Wouldn't want you 70m over the back into the bunker.
I don't think focussing on the difference between 30 meters off the ball or 100 meters off the ball is the point. The point is that Andrew Gaff punched Andrew Brayshaw in the face causing enough damage for him to be unable to eat solid food for a month. Wouldn't you agree that should be the focus in this?

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
I wasn't necessarily blaming the umpires but just pointing out if they had payed free kicks for any illegal tactics then maybe this incident could have been avoided.
Are you saying the umpires caused Andrew Gaff to punch Andrew Brayshaw in the face? Where is Andrew Gaff responsibility in this then? I would hazard a guess that punching someone in the face off the ball isn't something you can blame on 'illegal tactics' but more of a choice Andrew Gaff made during the game.

RupertPupkin

Debutant
Jul 8, 2011
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It's all a major over reaction IMO. This will be okay until the first player gets rubbed out for a feather tap and then the footy world will explode again. Are we going to allow this inept MRO system to handle that? He just dished out a fine of 2K to Aaron Francis for a perfectly legitimate bump last weekend...It will be abused. The players themselves need to sort this out, not a rule change. The AFL system actually handled the Gaff incident very well considering the appalling reporting and mass hysteria over the whole thing. Ask yourself this question: Do we want Gaeilic Football as the replacement for Aussie Rules?
Conflating bumps with deliberate punches is simply obfuscation. The debate is not about fair bumps. I didn't mention bumps. What I said was about deliberate swings of the arm to punch or elbow. Stick to the point or use somebody else's post as a chance to launch into your tirade.

youmewe

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
If we accept that the position of Brayshaw's head moved from the moment Gaff began swinging his arm, then we have to accept that had Brayshaw turned his head a little further sideways and lower, we could now be dealing with a fatality.

The force of Gaff's blow would surely have shattered Brayshaw's temporal bone, the result would have been catastrophic.

Thank goodness that did not occur. It could have.

BartBart

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 30, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't think focussing on the difference between 30 meters off the ball or 100 meters off the ball is the point. The point is that Andrew Gaff punched Andrew Brayshaw in the face causing enough damage for him to be unable to eat solid food for a month. Wouldn't you agree that should be the focus in this?

What are you on about?
We are talking about golf.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I think they should have asked the dentist who 'fixed' (3 are dead and will turn black)his teeth how many weeks Gaff should have got.

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
Gaff is a 26 yr old Brownlow favourite gun player and the only way he could deal with a block from an 18yr old rookie was to punch the living suitcase out of him. You would think that an experienced player like Gaff would have the talent to deal with Brayshaw fairly and get around him easily. Why bash the s**t out of him is the question. Brayshaw is not a sledger ,hard to understand why Gaff did what he did. Danger ,Kelly and all of the other gun mids have never reacted like that and they are subjected to hard tags from hard men not 18 yr old rookies.

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
Are you saying the umpires caused Andrew Gaff to punch Andrew Brayshaw in the face? Where is Andrew Gaff responsibility in this then? I would hazard a guess that punching someone in the face off the ball isn't something you can blame on 'illegal tactics' but more of a choice Andrew Gaff made during the game.
Suggest you read my email again and concentrate as I said no such thing. It is just you being presumptuous and looking at things with purple eyes. I won't comment any further.

BartBart

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 30, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't believe you. I think you're trying to deflect the seriousness of Andrew Gaff's coward punch by focussing on something that was said at Ross Lyon's press conference.

Everyone - we have a sharp one here.
Can't get anything past him.

I will now have to withdraw my patent for my message encypting device.

Here I was thinking I'd pulled the wool over everyone's eyes.

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Everyone - we have a sharp one here.
Can't get anything past him.

I will now have to withdraw my patent for my message encypting device.

Here I was thinking I'd pulled the wool over everyone's eyes.
Excellent. I'm glad we agree you were making light of the fact that Andrew Brayshaw was sent to hospital in an incident off the ball.

Stay classy

Suggest you read my email again and concentrate as I said no such thing. It is just you being presumptuous and looking at things with purple eyes. I won't comment any further.
Here's what you wrote "I wasn't necessarily blaming the umpires but just pointing out if they had payed free kicks for any illegal tactics then maybe this incident could have been avoided".

BartBart

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 30, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Excellent. I'm glad we agree you were making light of the fact that Andrew Brayshaw was sent to hospital in an incident off the ball.

Stay classy...

The discussion wasn't about Brayshaw - it was about Nisbett & Lyon getting it wrong.

You're starting to make me think you aren't the genius I mistook you for.

False alarm guys - he's not as sharp as I thought. Although it could be the thin air he is breathing sitting up on his high horse.

Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham, 76ers, Cubs, Bills
Yeah you don't get people niggling you in the street or in non contact sports like players do in football, especially taggers whose role is to put playmakers off their game by niggling, scragging, blocking etc which was Brayshaw's role on Gaff.

Brayshaw is not a tagger. Has not been a tagger. Was not a tagger.

He had 16 possessions (8 contested), 4 tackles in 41% ToG.
Gaff had 33 possessions (12 contested), 3 tackles in 87% ToG.
So actually if they were playing on each other, Brayshaw had more touches, more contested touches, and more tackles per minute on ground.

So spare me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Gaff is a 26 yr old Brownlow favourite gun player and the only way he could deal with a block from an 18yr old rookie was to punch the living suitcase out of him. You would think that an experienced player like Gaff would have the talent to deal with Brayshaw fairly and get around him easily. Why bash the s**t out of him is the question. Brayshaw is not a sledger ,hard to understand why Gaff did what he did. Danger ,Kelly and all of the other gun mids have never reacted like that and they are subjected to hard tags from hard men not 18 yr old rookies.

The only one that knows why is Gaff himself, and even if there was a reason why he did what he did he is not going to share it. He has copped his whack at the tribunal and it’s time to move on.

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
Conflating bumps with deliberate punches is simply obfuscation. The debate is not about fair bumps. I didn't mention bumps. What I said was about deliberate swings of the arm to punch or elbow. Stick to the point or use somebody else's post as a chance to launch into your tirade.
Perhaps the point is way beyond your comprehension. There are calls for automatic 1 week suspensions for any punch thrown, including those feather touches, the point is, are we going to allow this MRO to make those calls? You know as well as i do, any such change in the rules will see more controversy. The AFL tribunal did a great job, the system worked in this very rare case. Unless we change to a Gaelic rule system we will always have clashes, we will always see emotions overflow, we will always see the rare ugly incident. Maybe the game doesn't belong in the 21st century?

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Gaff threw a full blooded punch at an opponent, did he intend to cause serious injury? Even any injury? I'm thinking no, was just one of those things where the planets aligned, but if you throw a punch you deal with the consequences.

Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham, 76ers, Cubs, Bills
If the Dad of the victim can forgive and move on, its especially odd to me that everyone else can't.

Who said Gaff wasn't forgiven by Dockers fans?
And why should we all move from the disgraceful display from WC, especially Nisbett? Where is his apology?

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
Gaff threw a full blooded punch at an opponent, did he intend to cause serious injury? Even any injury? I'm thinking no, was just one of those things where the planets aligned, but if you throw a punch you deal with the consequences.

Who throws a "full blooded punch" and doesn't expect an injury to occur ?? o_O

I'm okay with the penalty handed down to Gaff although I was expecting it to be a little less in length. I was in Melbourne for the past week and the massive media build-up on it was over the top. QC David Galbally was interviewed on SEN and he suggested Gaff should be put in jail for 12-months because that is what happens in the real world.

It would of been something of a 'lynch mob' penalty if he had of been given something seriously long-term regardless of how you view the seriousness of the incident. I don't think it would have been fair for him to be the scapegoat for previous lighter sentences too.

However, having said that, it would be prudent for the AFL to bunker down and come up with an all encompassing policy on king-hits to avoid the speculation and media overkill that comes into play from RD 1 2019. There needs to be some clarity & leadership from the AFL here.

Under the new policy, for a player to be charged by police, the player who got whacked has to file a police report first. Also, the AFL would implement a standard range of suspensions for king-hits subject to certain criteria surrounding the situation. The seriousness of the injury or lack of should never come into it.

There should also be a review & upgrade for "standard" punches in a match including jumper-punches. There has been too many instances recently where nothing has happened to the offender.

If the AFL really tightens up its stance on punches and lays down some new stronger laws in the new year, the game should be in a much better state as a result.

Frank Gallagher

Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

I'm okay with the penalty handed down to Gaff although I was expecting it to be a little less in length. I was in Melbourne for the past week and the massive media build-up on it was over the top. QC David Galbally was interviewed on SEN and he suggested Gaff should be put in jail for 12-months because that is what happens in the real world.

It would of been something of a 'lynch mob' penalty if he had of been given something seriously long-term regardless of how you view the seriousness of the incident. I don't think it would have been fair for him to be the scapegoat for previous lighter sentences too.

However, having said that, it would be prudent for the AFL to bunker down and come up with an all encompassing policy on king-hits to avoid the speculation and media overkill that comes into play from RD 1 2019. There needs to be some clarity & leadership from the AFL here.

Under the new policy, for a player to be charged by police, the player who got whacked has to file a police report first. Also, the AFL would implement a standard range of suspensions for king-hits subject to certain criteria surrounding the situation. The seriousness of the injury or lack of should never come into it.

There should also be a review & upgrade for "standard" punches in a match including jumper-punches. There has been too many instances recently where nothing has happened to the offender.

If the AFL really tightens up its stance on punches and lays down some new stronger laws in the new year, the game should be in a much better state as a result.
There are heaps of full blooded punches thrown every game, most don't connect anything or hit an arm ect ect.

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
The discussion wasn't about Brayshaw - it was about Nisbett & Lyon getting it wrong.

You're starting to make me think you aren't the genius I mistook you for.

False alarm guys - he's not as sharp as I thought. Although it could be the thin air he is breathing sitting up on his high horse.
Oh, so this is the bit where you have a go at the poster instead of making a decent contribution to the thread.

My mistake was thinking a thread "Andrew Gaff hit on Brayshaw" might actually be about Andrew Gaff's hit on Brayshaw, and not a series of inane comments about Ross Lyon's press conference.

But that's just me.

Frank Gallagher

Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

I like the idea of zero tolerance for punches fullstop, no matter how hard or what damage occurs.

Back