Recommitted Andrew Gaff [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Could not find a thread on Gaff.

RFA in 2018 and word is he could be looking for a move to Melbourne and the club would consider facilliating a move this trade period for the right deal.

So who is looking at a outside winger who plays the link role and runs all day.

Saints and Tigers with two first round picks would be looking to improve their lists in 2018 and could use one of their 1st rounds to trade in a ready to go player.

Who else?

Could not find a thread on Gaff.

RFA in 2018 and word is he could be looking for a move to Melbourne and the club would consider facilliating a move this trade period for the right deal.

So who is looking at a outside winger who plays the link role and runs all day.

Saints and Tigers with two first round picks would be looking to improve their lists in 2018 and could use one of their 1st rounds to trade in a ready to go player.

Who else?
What is his worth?
Would be a good fit for most clubs

I'm not a fan of this former Dees supporting Victorian. He had a great year in 2015, which was rewarded with AA selection, but hasn't recaptured that form, even if he's been solid.

I watched him closely this year and my concerns are his lack of contested footy, lack of speed for an outside player, and lack of hurt factor with his kicking. He's a neat left-footer, but lacks penetration.

It would be remiss of me not to mention his positives, which are obviously his elite running and creative link play, but I don't see him as being overly damaging. He also doesn't kick goals.

I wouldn't mind the fact he's exceptionally outside if he had line-breaking pace, but unfortunately, he's as slow as a wet week. And for me that's the real issue. He'll run all day and accummulate but he doesn't hurt you on the outside with speed or kicking penetration.

Put simply, he's vanilla. He's not elite offensively and more concerning, he's very poor defensively.

All that said, I wouldn't say no, as he'd be best 18 at the Dees, but I see his worth being around pick 20-25 and I'm not sure that would overly excite the Eagles for a contracted player. He'd have to work on his defensive side under Goodwin, but that's as much a coaching issue.

I'm not a fan of this former Dees supporting Victorian. He had a great year in 2015, which was rewarded with AA selection, but hasn't recaptured that form, even if he's been solid.

I watched him closely this year and my concerns are his lack of contested footy, lack of speed for an outside player, and lack of hurt factor with his kicking. He's a neat left-footer, but lacks penetration.

It would be remiss of me not to mention his positives, which are obviously his elite running and creative link play, but I don't see him as being overly damaging. He also doesn't kick goals.

I wouldn't mind the fact he's exceptionally outside if he had line-breaking pace, but unfortunately, he's as slow as a wet week. And for me that's the real issue. He'll run all day and accummulate but he doesn't hurt you on the outside with speed or kicking penetration.

Put simply, he's vanilla. He's not elite offensively and more concerning, he's very poor defensively.

All that said, I wouldn't say no, as he'd be best 18 at the Dees, but I see his worth being around pick 20-25 and I'm not sure that would overly excite the Eagles for a contracted player. He'd have to work on his defensive side under Goodwin, but that's as much a coaching issue.
Sounds like Sidebottom.

Hearing for a while now that we're into him, as we could definitely do with more run in our team and while he misses too many targets to be considered "elite" by foot, he still hits plenty of good ones going inside 50, and that's what we need more of.

The big downsides though are his VERY low tackle count for the modern game (a mind blowingly low 27 or something ridiculous like that for the whole 2016 season!) and the fact he doesn't get more CP's. Just 1 last night as an example.

Someone said the other day though that he's ranked no.1 in the comp for his defensive running (getting back into defence to help out/provide numbers, or give those taking the intercept marks someone to dish it off to), so that's a positive and probably cancels out some of his lack of tackles.

Also had 34 possies in a grannie, so that's a good sign.

He's a ready-made alternative to Lochie O'Brien in the draft, although LOB has a more lethal left peg and is probably quicker.

I'm kind of on the fence about him, assuming he'd cost us either pick 7 or 8. He would definitely make our team better tho and he's very durable, so he's probably a safer bet than taking one of those picks to the draft.

Last edited:
Hearing for a while now that we're into him, as we could definitely do with more run in our team and while he misses too many targets to be considered "elite" by foot, he still hits plenty of good ones going inside 50, and that's what we need more of.

The big downsides though are his VERY low tackle count for the modern game (a mind blowingly low 27 or something ridiculous like that for the whole 2016 season!) and the fact he doesn't get more CP's. Just 1 last night as an example.

Someone said the other day though that he's ranked no.1 in the comp for his defensive running (getting back into defence to help out/provide numbers, or give those taking the intercept marks someone to dish it off to), so that's a positive and probably cancels out some of his lack of tackles.

Also had 34 possies in a grannie, so that's a good sign.

He's a ready-made alternative to Lochie O'Brien in the draft, although LOB has a more lethal left peg and is probably quicker.

I'm kind of on the fence about him, assuming he'd cost us either pick 7 or 8. He would definitely make our team better tho and he's very durable, so he's probably a safer bet than taking one of those picks to the draft.

That's a pretty balanced and accurate assessment of Gaff. Sure he doesnt lay a lot of tackles but defensively he runs hard back to defend and certainly doesnt sherk a contest running back with flight of the ball. I.e. when Jonas nearling killed him last season.

When drafted they described him as an elite runner who would hurt opposition by "a thousand cuts" meaning through quantity of possessions not the quality of a small number of possessions.

One of the Saints picks is about right. Maybe some steak knives somehow.

That's a pretty balanced and accurate assessment of Gaff. Sure he doesnt lay a lot of tackles but defensively he runs hard back to defend and certainly doesnt sherk a contest running back with flight of the ball. I.e. when Jonas nearling killed him last season.

When drafted they described him as an elite runner who would hurt opposition by "a thousand cuts" meaning through quantity of possessions not the quality of a small number of possessions.

One of the Saints picks is about right. Maybe some steak knives somehow.
It could be a smart long term move by you guys to trade him this year.

Given that you're losing Mitchell, Priddis, Petrie and possibly Le Cras and more there's every likelihood that you won't have a great year next year, but with next year's draft looking like a corker, it may be best for you guys to go all-in and lose Gaff as well, to make sure that if you drop down the ladder you really drop down, to ensure you get a high enough pick to snare one of the seriously elite looking talents from that draft, to go with whichever midfield option you draft this year, with the pick we give you.

Could help really set you up for the long term to bottom-out next year.

Why use trades now when u can get him next year for free so to speak if you really wanted him.
That's a good question and I guess the answer is that if you have the trade currency like we for instance do, there will be less competition for his signature this year if he wants out, whereas next year any club can make a big play for him, as they won't need the trade currency necessarily and could get him for just cap space.

So while yes you may be able to land him for "free" next year, that's only helpful if you're the club that would be the one to get his nomination then.

The other factor is that if say we didn't trade for him this year another club might, taking him off the table altogether.

Plus the fact that you have to spend your pick on someone and he's a safer bet than using it in the draft for a similar type.

Last edited:
Why use trades now when u can get him next year for free so to speak if you really wanted him.

Good points above but also Gaff is a restricted fa next year and highly rated by the Eagles. Eagles have more cap space than they have decent players to spend it on so even if Gaff nominated for a rfa move Id suggest the Eagles would match the bid to force a negotiated trade ala Dangerfield but obviously not to the same level. The Eagles wouldnt let Gaff go for an end of first round pick thats for certain.

So its negotiate a trade this year or negotiate next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a good question and I guess the answer is that if you have the trade currency like we for instance do, there will be less competition for his signature this year if he wants out, whereas next year any club can make a big play for him, as they won't need the trade currency necessarily and could get him for just cap space.

Plus the fact that you have to spend your pick on someone and he's a safer bet than using it in the draft for a similar type.

Fair enough. No disrepect to Gaff he is a good player but he really isnt a game changer or someome that you could say would make a huge difference to any team. I actually cant see too many teams chasing him fwiw. Yes he is a safer bet that a kid in the draft but If I were the saints id take the punt on the draft for something better and keep an eye on Gaff for next year.

Fair enough. No disrepect to Gaff he is a good player but he really isnt a game changer or someome that you could say would make a huge difference to any team. I actually cant see too many teams chasing him fwiw. Yes he is a safer bet that a kid in the draft but If I were the saints id take the punt on the draft for something better and keep an eye gaff for next year.
Yeah I'd be very comfortable if we didn't trade for him and drafted the similar type in Lochie O'Brien, who has a more lethal kick and better speed and who could potentially play for us for 15 years.

But if we did trade for Gaff it would help us to take the next step and push up into finals sooner, which is pretty important given that it's now been 6 years since we last did so.

Happy either way type situation for me.

Good points above but also Gaff is a restricted fa next year and highly rated by the Eagles. Eagles have more cap space than they have decent players to spend it on so even if Gaff nominated for a rfa move Id suggest the Eagles would match the bid to force a negotiated trade ala Dangerfield but obviously not to the same level. The Eagles wouldnt let Gaff go for an end of first round pick thats for certain.

So its negotiate a trade this year or negotiate next year.

Yes that is true. Gaff would have a lot more value to the eagles.

Yeah I'd be very comfortable if we didn't trade for him and drafted the similar type in Lochie O'Brien, who has a more lethal kick and better speed and who could potentially play for us for 15 years.

But if we did trade for Gaff it would help us to take the next step and push up into finals sooner, which is pretty important given that it's now been 6 years since we last did so.

I think you can make the push without him through natural improvement in your young guns. Billings Gresham etc.

I think you can make the push without him through natural improvement in your young guns. Billings Gresham etc.
Yeah I agree with that, especially if McCartin and Freeman in particular had full preseasons and relatively injury free years next year and Steven and Armitage returned to full fitness and form.

The reason we targeted Freeman and spent a decent pick on him was for the elite running he could provide, so if he stayed on the park (like he did this year until his ankle injury) he could give us a lot of that run and speed we lack. He was playing good enough footy to be picked by the end this year, but we were obviously being extra-cautious with him.

If we could split one of 7 or 8 for two picks in that range I wouldn't hesitate to trade one of them for him and still have the other one and the remaining one of 7/8 up our sleeves for the draft.

Why bother as the Eagles wouldnt accept that this year.

Remember they will likely get a min of end of first round pick next year if he is let go as a free agent. So that is the "reserve bid value" so to speak.

Why bother as the Eagles wouldnt accept that this year.

Remember they will likely get a min of end of first round pick next year if he is let go as a free agent. So that is the "reserve bid value" so to speak.
Yeah I'm not saying I think you'd except that, you wouldn't, just saying that I would definitely be off the fence if we could get him for that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back