Recommitted Andrew Gaff [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Eagles wouldn't be
Because he's contracted? Other than that, you guys are off ya tree if you think he is a game changer ( pick 8 or more is reserved for those types) I don't think he is that special, just a good honest blue collar hard working outside mid with OK pace. Pick 15-22 is more realistic but because he's still contracted and young, I can see Saints giving up pick 8.

Because he's contracted? Other than that, you guys are off ya tree if you think he is a game changer ( pick 8 or more is reserved for those types) I don't think he is that special, just a good honest blue collar hard working outside mid with OK pace. Pick 15-22 is more realistic but because he's still contracted and young, I can see Saints giving up pick 8.

That's nice, but end of the day he's:
-An AA calibre mid
-A former pick 4 who's lived up to his pick value
-In the prime of his career and under contract

If you think that's worth 15-22 you severely under rate talent.

Thats idiotic, you severely over rate draft picks

From my account, over 10 years (2005 - 2014), out of 80 players picked between 15 and 22 there have been 3 players drafted who I believe are a better player than Gaff with another 3 who I believe are more "valuable" players than Gaff because of their leadership or the position they play.

So if we traded Gaff for a pick 15 to 22, we would have a 4% chance of getting a better player than Gaff or a 7.5% chance of getting a more valuable player than Gaff.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Picks 15 - 22 from 5 years prior to Gaffs draft year onward, excluding the 2015 & 2016 drafts as it's far too early and excluding f/s and academy

2005 - Travis Varcoe, Richard Douglas, Darren Pfeiffer, Max Bailey, Courtney Dempsey, Paul Bower, Danny Stanley, Beau Muston

Gaff better than ALL players

2006 - Daniel O'Keffe, Mitch Brown (WC), Shaun Hampson, Leroy Jetta, Shaun Grigg, Tom Hislop, Gavin Urqhart, Albert Proud

Again, Gaff better than ALL players

2007 - Robbie Tarrant, Matthew Lobbe, Harry Taylor, Alex Rance, Callan Ward, Tony Notte, Adam Maric

Alex Rance a better player, I'd also say Harry Taylor and Callan Ward are more "valuable players" however I'm sure WC supporters would argue otherwise.

2008 - Mitch Brown (Gee), Ryan Schoenmakers, Sam Blease, Luke Shuey, James Strauss, Tom Swift, Hayden Ballantyne

Gaff better than all bar Shuey

2009 - Christian Howard, Jasper Pittard, Daniel Menzal, Luke Tapscott, Ben Griffiths, Nat Fyfe, Ryan Bastinac, Gerrick Weedon

Gaff better than all except Fyfe

2010 - Gaffs year - Smedts, Ben Jacobs, Shaun Atley, Matthew Watson,
Isaac Smith, Jayden Pitt, Jed Lamb

Again, Gaff better than ALL of them

2011 - Brandon Ellis, Tom Sheridan, Clay Smith, Brad McKenzie, Elliott Kavanagh, Hayden Crozier, Josh Bootsma

2012 - Taylor Garner, Jackson Thurlow, Josh Simpson, Brodie Grundy, Ben Kennedy, Tim Broomhead, Nathan Hrovat, Dean Towers
Again, Gaff better than ALL of them. I do however believe Grundy is more valuable.

2013 - Zak Jones, Darcy Lang, Michael Apeness, Luke Dunstan, Blake Acres, Jack Leslie, Jarman Impey, Darcy Gardiner

Again, Gaff better than ALL of them, Dunstan with potential to be as good or better.

2014 - Jarrod Garlett, Sam Durdan, Kyle Langford, Blaine Boekhurst, Jayden Laverde, Hugh Goddard, Daniel McKenzie

Again, Gaff better than ALL of them however I acknowledge its too early to be sure on a few

Last edited:

From my account, over 10 years (2005 - 2014), out of 80 players picked between 15 and 22 there have been 3 players drafted who I believe are a better player than Gaff with another 3 who I believe are more "valuable" players than Gaff because of their leadership or the position they play.

So if we traded Gaff for a pick 15 to 22, we would have a 4% chance of getting a better player than Gaff or a 7.5% chance of getting a more valuable player than Gaff.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Picks 15 - 22 from 5 years prior to Gaffs draft year onward, excluding the 2015 & 2015 drafts as it's far too early and excluding f/s and academy

2005 - Travis Varcoe, Richard Douglas, Darren Pfeiffer, Max Bailey, Courtney Dempsey, Paul Bower, Danny Stanley, Beau Muston

2006 - Daniel O'Keffe, Mitch Brown (WC), Shaun Hampson, Leroy Jetta, Shaun Grigg, Tom Hislop, Gavin Urqhart, Albert Proud

2007 - Robbie Tarrant, Matthew Lobbe, Harry Taylor, Alex Rance, Callan Ward, Tony Notte, Adam Maric

Alex Rance a better player, I'd also say Harry Taylor and Callan Ward are more "valuable players" however I'm sure WC supporters would argue otherwise.

2008 - Mitch Brown (Gee), Ryan Schoenmakers, Sam Blease, Luke Shuey, James Strauss, Tom Swift, Hayden Ballantyne

2009 - Christian Howard, Jasper Pittard, Daniel Menzal, Luke Tapscott, Ben Griffiths, Nat Fyfe, Ryan Bastinac, Gerrick Weedon

2011 - Brandon Ellis, Tom Sheridan, Clay Smith, Brad McKenzie, Elliott Kavanagh, Hayden Crozier, Josh Bootsma

2012 - Taylor Garner, Jackson Thurlow, Josh Simpson, Brodie Grundy, Ben Kennedy, Tim Broomhead, Nathan Hrovat, Dean Towers
Again, Gaff better than ALL of them. I do however believe Grundy is more valuable.

2013 - Zak Jones, Darcy Lang, Michael Apeness, Luke Dunstan, Blake Acres, Jack Leslie, Jarman Impey, Darcy Gardiner

2014 - Jarrod Garlett, Sam Durdan, Kyle Langford, Blaine Boekhurst, Jayden Laverde, Hugh Goddard, Daniel McKenzie

Again, Gaff better than ALL of them however I acknowledge its too early to be sure on a few
You're just very biased.

I'm no Gaff lover.

I'd be interested in who you rate higher. There's not 1 AA or club B&F in that list of 80 players apart from the ones I mention that are better than Gaff
No you're saying Gaff is better... Even though most of them players are different type of players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Picks 15 - 22 from 5 years prior to Gaffs draft year onward, excluding the 2015 & 2016 drafts as it's far too early and excluding f/s and academy

Again, Gaff better than ALL of them, Dunstan with potential to be as good or better.

Isaac Smith.

Rance, Taylor, Ward, Tarrant, Shuey, Fyfe, Jacobs, Smith, Grundy...

So on average there is one player picked in that range every year that is substantially better than Gaff?

Gaff’s worth a late first round pick because he wins zero contested ball and his disposal is poor for a strictly outside player.

Hey you should watch the 2015 GF. Compare Smith to Gaff for impact. Just for a lark.

What should have happened is picking one player from each draft who is better and saying there is a 1 in 5 chance the 15 to 20 draft pick will be better than Gaff, so why would West Coast risk it. And that is why they would want around pick 10 for him.

Instead you went full Cochrane.

Hey you should watch the 2015 GF. Compare Smith to Gaff for impact. Just for a lark.

What should have happened is picking one player from each draft who is better and saying there is a 1 in 5 chance the 15 to 20 draft pick will be better than Gaff, so why would West Coast risk it. And that is why they would want around pick 10 for him.

Instead you went full Cochrane.

Well a lot of Eagles had a pretty s**t game, doesn't change the fact that Gaff is better than Smith. Cute reply though.

Yeah he is a game changer. Oh wait.

Hang on to him. Dont let anyone get him. 2018 is yours for the taking.

I believe any time Smith has a chance to be a genuine game changer he shanks it.

I'm more than happy to keep Gaff until he retires.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back