Recommitted Andrew Gaff [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Age 25: 12 points

Would he be top 5% at West Coast?

Natanui, Kennedy, Hurn, Shuey & McGovern (if re-signed) will be on more coin so probably not.

It's top 5 percent across the AFL as a whole (based on players 25 and over).

With the recent bump in the SC last year you'd be looking at close to a million to get into bamd one this year I reckon.

It's top 5 percent across the AFL as a whole (based on players 25 and over).

With the recent bump in the SC last year you'd be looking at close to a million to get into bamd one this year I reckon.

Well he's not going to qualify if that's the case.

He'd be in the 5-15% bracket I reckon as he only extended in 2016 after an AA year, so he would have got a good raise..

End of 1st round compensation. WCE ~ 11th-14th = picks 23-26.

I don't think 800k gets Gaff into the top 5 percent.
Sure. And if WC are already offering 750k, they're likely going to match 800k rather than accept Band 2 compensation.

The incentive therefore is for the other club to offer more, an amount WC won't be inclined to match.

Everyone comes out smiling in that case.

A free agent paid $2 million over two years will be ranked higher on the compensation table than one who is paid $3.5 million over four years. The length of contract is only a ‘‘tie-breaker’’ if annual salary is equal to another player. The contract must be at least two years.

Surely that's just asking for a club to buy a player like Gaff on a 2 year deal.

Rockliff (27, 4 x $650-700k with every season under the new salary cap) was apparently on the cusp on band 1.

Given Gaff will be 26 this FA period, an identical contract should have him on the cusp also. If 4 x $700k is cusp (for example), then why not just go 3 x $800k then re-sign him for a lesser contract after that? A team like North or Carlton could easily pay overs for 2 years then recontract for a lower amount down the track.

One did. Ball.

One. There's still no need for two main list drafts. It's double dipping.

Surely that's just asking for a club to buy a player like Gaff on a 2 year deal.

Rockliff (27, 4 x $650-700k with every season under the new salary cap) was apparently on the cusp on band 1.

Given Gaff will be 26 this FA period, an identical contract should have him on the cusp also. If 4 x $700k is cusp (for example), then why not just go 3 x $800k then re-sign him for a lesser contract after that? A team like North or Carlton could easily pay overs for 2 years then recontract for a lower amount down the track.
Are you me from a different dimension? One where you have only one dick? I have two, FYI.

National draft is in November. Why can't they just go into that?

They can.

One did. Ball.

Actually, Ben Jacobs also. Couldn't get a trade to North from Port, nominated for the 2012 draft once his contract lapsed, and was picked up with pick 37.

North were happy to give Port pick 37 but they knocked it back. Mason Wood, Tim Membrey, Rory Atkins, Matt Taberner, Callum Sinclair, Kyle Hartigan, Sam Naismith and Kaiden Brand were all picked up after 37.

Bad move Port.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s he worth in a trade to some of you Victorians? Weller netted Freo pick 2 (Gold Coast I know..) But even with that in mind, Gaff is a guaranteed 25+ per game, fairly decent kick and has only missed a handful of games since he was drafted. If we lost him I’m fairly certain we’d miss him even though he does have his limitations.

Worth a top 10 minimum imo bearing in mind that a pick is a choice of potential while Gaff is a known quantity.

If he doesn’t have a club of choice and only wants to get back to Melbourne, he’s the type of guy that would do the right thing by the club to sort out fair compensation, similar to what happened with Judd.

I dare say we would have offered West Coast one of our picks at 7 or 8 last year at a minimum and if we had to trade for him this year we'd probably be similarly willing to give up a pick in the 8-10 type range.

Although this draft definitely looks stronger at the top, so that could change things somewhat, and he'll also be a year older, plus being OOC gives WC less leverage.

Then again, if he has a career-best season that will increase his trade cost.

Last edited:
I dare say we would have offered West Coast one of our picks at 7 or 8 last year at a minimum and if we had to trade for him this year we'd probably be similarly willing to give up a pick in the 8-10 type range.

Although this draft definitely looks stronger at the top, so that could change things somewhat, and he'll also be a year older, plus being OOC gives WC less leverage.

Then again, if he has a career-best season that will increase his trade cost.
To be honest, I’d prefer to just pay him whatever it takes to get West Coast band one compo for him.

There is only so long we can front load contracts and I’d be much happier to get Gaff while keeping our first round pick. I can’t see the cap being a problem.

It’s a big contract for someone like Gaff, but I’m happy to admit St Kilda isn’t a big club and it’s going to take a big contract to get someone at the moment.

To be honest, I’d prefer to just pay him whatever it takes to get West Coast band one compo for him.

There is only so long we can front load contracts and I’d be much happier to get Gaff while keeping our first round pick. I can’t see the cap being a problem.

It’s a big contract for someone like Gaff, but I’m happy to admit St Kilda isn’t a big club and it’s going to take a big contract to get someone at the moment.

But I thought we were just getting band 2 compo and being grateful...

This is a sensible approach from St Kilda. I'd have thought that at a minimum Gaff would be offered something like a 4 x $700k deal to stay at West Coast, so he's pretty unlikely to move for a lesser deal than that - which as a FA we'd match anyway.

2 x $1m would get band 1 compo as per the AFL magic formula which would be a win/win for both clubs if the player decided to leave. Beyond that point the Saints can re-contract Gaff for 3 or 4 x $5-600k or whatever they want to even it out over time.

This is a sensible approach from St Kilda. I'd have thought that at a minimum Gaff would be offered something like a 4 x $700k deal to stay at West Coast, so he's pretty unlikely to move for a lesser deal than that - which as a FA we'd match anyway.

2 x $1m would get band 1 compo as per the AFL magic formula which would be a win/win for both clubs if the player decided to leave. Beyond that point the Saints can re-contract Gaff for 3 or 4 x $5-600k or whatever they want to even it out over time.

Not sure I remember saying that? Then again maybe I did, I can’t be bothered reading my old posts to find out, but to be honest I don’t care what you blokes end up getting for him, as long as we wouldn’t have to pay for it.

I thought Rockliff was very close to getting Brisbane band one with his $700k contract? $1m seems a bit extreme, I was think more like 800k.

It all comes down to whether he wants to head back east.

He'd never get the kind of money that would wrench him from WCE.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back