Recommitted Andrew Gaff [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I would be much more loathe to pay our first this year than to pay him extra to get WCE first round compo.

If we had to trade for someone for the wing I would almost certainly prefer to pay the lesser price for the quicker Aaron Hall (who is also OOC), as it's that extra speed and probably extra disposals in the front half of the ground that I feel we need most.

"Banfield was handed the run-with assignment on Aaron Hall and held him to just two disposals in the first half before he finished with a paltry five."

https://thewest.com.au/sport/freman...ver-gold-coast-at-optus-stadium-ng-b88799356z

Sure Hall is the answer to the Saints problems?

Saints need mentally tough players not front runners. One thing is certain Saints will be pushing hard for decent FA's and trades this year after the start so far.

Last edited:
Reckon he’d thrive at Melbourne but we don’t have realistic currency unless we trade our 2019 1st.

He’d be a terrific fit for Melbourne.

Fortunately we won’t have to trade our 2019 first, as he’s a free agent.

I seriously doubt we’d have the cap room to get within $200k per year of North or St Kilda though.

Surely WC would match that.

Probably, but I doubt if they would significantly better that offer to the extent that it would keep him in W.A. if he wants to return to Victoria.

Well that's a considerable upgrade.

Good luck with that.

If you hold back a bloke that has given great service to the club and wants to return to his home state, for an upgrade of 8 picks in the draft, then you could come out looking like a right bunch of pricks.

Good luck with that.

If you hold back a bloke that has given great service to the club and wants to return to his home state, for an upgrade of 8 picks in the draft, then you could come out looking like a right bunch of pricks.

Well then any club that wants him should make an offer we won't match, we won't let a valuable player go cheaply in fear of looking like pricks. :$

Well then any club that wants him should make an offer we won't match, we won't let a valuable player go cheaply in fear of looking like pricks. :$

West Coast has the last say in the matter PK.

They take on all the risk that comes with keeping a high price disgruntled player on their list (in that scenario).

They take on all the risk that comes with keeping a high price disgruntled player on their list (in that scenario).
We did that once - with Jade Rawlings.

Was a great decision when he kicked 7 goals in his first game, and a terrible decision for pretty much every week after that.
Eventually we basically paid him to play with his brother at North which is what he wanted in the first place.

We did that once - with Jade Rawlings.

Was a great decision when he kicked 7 goals in his first game, and a terrible decision for pretty much every week after that.
Eventually we basically paid him to play with his brother at North which is what he wanted in the first place.

My guess is that West Coast will conduct themselves in a professional manner.

If the bloke wants to go to a particular club, they will facilitate that matter and probably cop a small loss in the exchange.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the bloke wants to go to a particular club, they will facilitate that matter and probably cop a small loss in the exchange.
True - we've learned since then and sent Hrovat, Koby Stevens, Andrejs Everitt, Liam Jones etc to their preferred destinations for pretty much token trades.
Swans did it for us too when they traded Biggs to us for a two-spot downgrade in the 30s.

The irony is this is on a WCE player thread and the Bulldogs have a very good trading relationship with the Eagles.

We were the first two clubs to swap picks when the AFL allowed it (we've done it at least once more since) and they traded McDougall to us for slight unders, and we traded Josh Hill for slight unders back to them.

Yes I know we do. I don't see any risk, he isn't pushing to leave, worst case for him he stays another year or two and walks on his own terms after his contract.

The job of the Eagles is to do the best for the club, not the player, if the club believes the offer is low then we will match and force a trade, all it does it put the onus on the other club to get a deal done, if they don't then they mustn't have wanted the player that much.

All clubs making offers to restricted players are well aware they may need to trade. Everyone involved is.

Doesn't always end badly

Ryan O'Keefe badly wanted out of the Swans and wanted to go to the Hawks, Swans held their ground.
He ended up staying and winning a Norm Smith against the Hawks.

The job of the Eagles is to do the best for the club, not the player, if the club believes the offer is low then we will match and force a trade, all it does it put the onus on the other club to get a deal done, if they don't then they mustn't have wanted the player that much.

All clubs making offers to restricted players are well aware they may need to trade. Everyone involved is.

It's also in the interests of the club to maintain good player, AFLPA, player manager and opposition club relations.

My guess is that he will garner a pick at the start of the second round by way of compensation, so basically pick 19.

The Eagles may be able to trade up to a pick in the mid teens, but I can't think of a Victorian club that would want him in that likely vicinity of picks, whilst accommodating a contract worthy of Gaffs interest. The interstate clubs look likely to hold the majority of picks in that range. Maybe Melbourne or Richmond, but I doubt they could provide the contract. It's going to be interesting to see how this pans out.

It's also in the interests of the club to maintain good player, AFLPA, player manager and opposition club relations..
Not if it means eating a s**t sandwich.

Opposition club relations?! What is this rubbish? Oh, OK - you can have our player for a discount, as long as you like us.

If clubs want to be BFFs, they can offer enough cash to ensure WC gets decent compensation. Why aren't you focused on that side of it?

My guess is that he will garner a pick at the start of the second round by way of compensation, so basically pick 19.
Then we should match the offer and trade.

The Eagles may be able to trade up to a pick in the mid teens, but I can't think of a Victorian club that would want him in that likely vicinity of picks, whilst accommodating a contract worthy of Gaffs interest. The interstate clubs look likely to hold the majority of picks in that range.
Turn it up. Picks move around willy nilly.

Having a pretty good start to the season. If he can continue this form all through the year I think he’ll he get a healthey contract from a Vic club that would likely result in a band one compo for the Eagles and leave everyone happy.

Having a pretty good start to the season. If he can continue this form all through the year I think he’ll he get a healthey contract from a Vic club that would likely result in a band one compo for the Eagles and leave everyone happy.
I wont be happy if he leaves.not for a mid teens pick

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back