Recommitted Andrew Gaff [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

And they wouldn't spend that coin on Gaff because Kelly will be out of contract again next year.

These $1m a year offers I'm calling BS. Gaff isn't Kelly or Dusty, he is an A+ grade mid but not the super elite mid that commands $1m plus for multiple years.

GC's Tom Lynch I can see getting $1m+, he is in the Buddy group. Elite KP forwards are rare, A grade mids are also rare but not as much as KP forwards.

Kelly could take $1m to shake loose but Kelly is better than Gaff and younger.

While I don't see multiple years offer as unrealistic.. it look like a device to get him as a fa, like Buddy.id think one could get it done with a 2 year offer. What would you match... 2.5M over 2 years? 3M?

Read my previous answer to this same question.

And answering a question with a question indicates you are avoiding the issue.......and being a tad sensitive.

I raised Waite, Tarrent, Thompson and Higgins in response to a prediction that Norths wont peak into flag contention untill 2020.

My question is will those players be peaking, on the decline or even retired by 2020.

Fair question?

Fair enough.

If we pick up a Wines & a Gaff this year we could contend in 2019.

And u think wc is good and will win flag this yr, more deluded. Adelaide finished top and got belted in gf. U will never topple Richmond or vic team down in Melb. Ur finals run is on the back of easier draw and a dozen guaranteed games at Subiaco.
West coast is a good team, as evidenced by our performances this year. I'm not sure if we'll win the flag this year but I hope we do, we're better odds to do so than North Melbourne are this year, next year or the year after though, that is a certainty. If you think that's more deluded maybe you should start a poll, I don't think you'll even manage 10% of the votes on your end. Most of your structurally important key position players are the wrong side of 30, if not close to. Tarrant is 29 and will be shouldering more load when the 32 year old Thompson retires, Waite is 35 and struggles to play a full season, Goldstein is 30 and hasn't been the same player since 2016, Higgins is arguably your best player and is 30. Assumptions that you will be seriously challenging in 2 years when all of these important players are 2 years older rely on a lot of luck and rapid development of your younger brigade. Despite the media acting as though North are a young team, your average age in your last game was only 3 months less than our last game and we still have a 19 and a 21 year old to come into the 22.

Who cares what Adelaide did last year? It's irrelevant to us this year, different time, different styles, different circumstances. We're every chance to topple Richmond or any vic team in Melbourne, we're 3 and 0 in Melbourne so far this year. Would've beaten Richmond at the G last year when we were rubbish if not for terrible goal kicking, and we beat them at the G in 2015 when they finished 5th so it's definitely not an impossible task.

If our finals run is on the back of an easier draw then what do you call Richmond's fixture? We play Sydney, Port, GWS, WB and Freo twice, they play Geelong, Collingwood, Adelaide, St kilda and Essendon twice, so the double ups are comparable. We have tough road trips to GWS, Hawthorn, Sydney, Adelaide, Collingwood, Port and North in tasmania, Richmond have Adelaide, West coast, Port and GWS. I know who's fixture I'd take, we leave Perth 10 times, Richmond leave Melbourne 5 times. They may also get a home final whether or not they finish top 2 or not, top 2 for us is crucial. Really quite apparent you don't know a lot about what you're saying.

Fair enough.

If we pick up a Wines & a Gaff this year we could contend in 2019.
North definitely have a solid core group of players but to challenge while a lot of your most important players are still playing good footy I think something like this needs to happen. Big if, but a midfield of Wines, Gaff, Cunnington, Higgins, Jacobs, with your relatively strong forward and backlines would definitely trouble a lot of teams. You have the money to do it, it's just a matter of convincing the players to come across. I think you're better odds to do so this year than you were last year though, given the footy you're playing.

Hurn is in career best form and will likely be all australian, Kennedy still has the highest goal average in the competition and is still building form, odd thing to say.

Agree, I was making a point.

Waite, Tarrant and Thompson have all be brilliant this season (although I get the feeling Tazz is carrying a niggle)

While I don't see multiple years offer as unrealistic.. it look like a device to get him as a fa, like Buddy.id think one could get it done with a 2 year offer. What would you match... 2.5M over 2 years? 3M?

I cant see the Eagles signing Gaff for much more than Yeo. Five years at $800 pa is what I recall Yeo signed for.

Always get more if you move.

You have no idea about my club, sorry.
CEO, President, former president and list manager have been on record over the years that they categorically do not believe in the need to fully bottom out.

So you won’t see us do it.
TBH he doesn't much clue about other sides either.
This is what he thinks about West Coast this season.
"Ur finals run is on the back of easier draw and a dozen guaranteed games at Subiaco".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North definitely have a solid core group of players but to challenge while a lot of your most important players are still playing good footy I think something like this needs to happen. Big if, but a midfield of Wines, Gaff, Cunnington, Higgins, Jacobs, with your relatively strong forward and backlines would definitely trouble a lot of teams. You have the money to do it, it's just a matter of convincing the players to come across. I think you're better odds to do so this year than you were last year though, given the footy you're playing.
Agree - we look like a much better club to be a part of in 2018. Hard to sell the Blues and Saints at the minute. Big drop to go from a top 4 team winning most weeks to a bottom 4 team getting smacked most weeks.

Agree - we look like a much better club to be a part of in 2018. Hard to sell the Blues and Saints at the minute. Big drop to go from a top 4 team winning most weeks to a bottom 4 team getting smacked most weeks.

That wont be happening for too much longer. You only need to look at the talented youth on our list to see it will click soon enough. We are void a couple of good mids and then games played.

Charlie Curnow
Cripps
Docherty
Weitering
McKay
SPS
Dow
Fisher
O Brien
Marchbank
Kennedy
Plowman
Williamson
Cuningham

Add to that a top 3 pick this year and if Gaff did come on board, it doesnt look so bad over the next few years imo

I actually think North will make a big play for Gaff.
I know, I know, they want everybody...........

This is media/manager driven bullshit.

We want the best midfielders on offer. Gaff would fit that category.

We want the best midfielders on offer. Gaff would fit that category.
Is that right?

Because I remember when you said he wasn't that good and that North wouldn't even bother trading for him. And that he'd be worth pick 19-21 if they did.

There'll be no bidding war mate.

He's not good enough for that.

North will (possibly) offer and WCE will match or decline and that will be the end of it.
Trading's not going to come in to it mate.

If we weren't prepared to dangle pick four for Dustin Martin, then I can't see how in any universe we are going to do it in a superdraft year with Andrew Gaff . It's an hilarious proposition. In the event he was traded you would probably get pick 19-21 as compensation, which will be around the ball park of our 2nd round pick anyway. A trade with us makes absolutely no sense at all. It won't happen unless a club in the 10-15 range gets involved, and then WCE could deal with them.
So basically you had NFI and have now changed your tune. Everyone can see this for themselves.

Last edited:
Rule out Carlton, North and St Kilda. No need for an elaboration really. Players of Gaff's calibre don't go to clubs like that

Dees or Hawks I would have thought. Not sure where Geelong rumours have come from

Typical Melbourne nuffy they got DEE-stroyed against the pies. Melbourne is a hardsell bunch of soft players who like roughing up bottom 8 sides but can't back it up against real contenders.
he named the three clubs that we roughed up. Hence why Gaff wont go there

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back