Recommitted Andrew Gaff [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Huge assumption. Even with those 3 I can't see you leapfrogging us, Richmond, Melbourne, GWS, Collingwood or Sydney. Not to mention Adelaide will be back up and about next season with an easy fixture and a healthy list. You would be doing very well to scrape into the top 6.

Not assuming anything.

We finished 3 wins off the top 4 and that was mostly due to sides that chopped us up on the outside.

Are you saying Gaff, Polec & Hall would not have made a difference when Sydney beat us in the last 30 seconds, The bulldogs rolled us by 7 points, or Richmond & Adelaide rolled us by a couple of kicks?

We have everything else in place, we just need outside run and some decent inside 50 disposal.

I laugh at the amount of times I see people on here thinking that if they add player x and player y to their team, they're instantly going to move up x number of spots on the ladder.

Adding players to your team from other clubs is a very small piece of the overall puzzle in terms of success and in fact there are probably more important pieces like club culture, game plans, team structure etc that have far more influence as a whole. Sure it helps, but it's a very simplistic view.

This is absolutely spot on.

We had a gun list, lack of injuries and still couldn’t make the top 8 this year due to poor culture, poor coaching and structure.

Richmond went from being a laughing stock to a champion team adding basically no new players but overhauling their coaching department (all assistants carefully picked, Caracella, Leppitsch etc) and their directors of coaching/football (Balme)

We had a gun list, lack of injuries and still couldn’t make the top 8 this year due to poor culture, poor coaching and structure.

Richmond went from being a laughing stock to a champion team adding basically no new players but overhauling their coaching department (all assistants carefully picked, Caracella, Leppitsch etc) and their directors of coaching/football (Balme)[/QUOTE**]
Adding caddy and Prestia probably didn't hurt either?

Adding caddy and Prestia probably didn't hurt either?

Nah didn’t hurt but both were barely above average in 2017 when they went from 13th to a premier who looks likely to go back to back. Its evident what did, Neale Balme and the selection of new coaches along with a scrutiny on game plan, structures etc.

Richmond went from being a laughing stock to a champion team adding basically no new players but overhauling their coaching department (all assistants carefully picked, Caracella, Leppitsch etc) and their directors of coaching/football (Balme)

I tend to agree and it's not about adding players but about adding the right players.

A lot of people thought Ablett added into that Geelong midfield was going to see them rocket up the ladder but they were found lacking elsewhere (and this is despite actually improving their midfield further with a find in Kelly).

There'll be a lot of keen interest in how Lynch changes or compliments the game style for Richmond.

I do get the North fan perspective though (despite being one), you can tell a glaring issue for North is accountable outside mids and ball carriers. IF Polec and potentially Gaff can fill that role there should be improvement in North's fortunes but at the same time that can be offset by a forward target like Waite being gone so there needs to be improvements in our forward line to compliment any perceived midfield improvement.

I tend to agree and it's not about adding players but about adding the right players.

A lot of people thought Ablett added into that Geelong midfield was going to see them rocket up the ladder but they were found lacking elsewhere (and this is despite actually improving their midfield further with a find in Kelly).

There'll be a lot of keen interest in how Lynch changes or compliments the game style for Richmond.

I do get the North fan perspective though (despite being one), you can tell a glaring issue for North is accountable outside mids and ball carriers. IF Polec and potentially Gaff can fill that role there should be improvement in North's fortunes but at the same time that can be offset by a forward target like Waite being gone so there needs to be improvements in our forward line to compliment any perceived midfield improvement.

North won't be winning premierships until we are more consistent from week to week and have a playing style that is far more accountable than the current zoning style we have that the top teams pick apart far too easily. The players we are getting so far (Polec and Hall) will help our obvious deficiencies but it's not the only answer...

Huge assumption. Even with those 3 I can't see you leapfrogging us, Richmond, Melbourne, GWS, Collingwood or Sydney. Not to mention Adelaide will be back up and about next season with an easy fixture and a healthy list. You would be doing very well to scrape into the top 6.
You screwed that post up with Sydney.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

North won't be winning premierships until we are more consistent from week to week and have a playing style that is far more accountable than the current zoning style we have that the top teams pick apart far too easily. The players we are getting so far (Polec and Hall) will help our obvious deficiencies but it's not the only answer...

Yeah I get it but as others have stated these players we are chasing fix our glaring issue. Outside pace, nothing wrong with our back six, we've the hard nuts in the midfield. Our fwd line has a key focal point and some decent support in JZ and Wood.

Our outside run is non existent and we have a few guys that get regular games that just aren't good enough. If we land the three we also need to find room for Jacobs and hopefully Garner at a minimum.
Then we look at the likes of Zurhaar who did ok until injured, LDU, Murphy and EVW (inj) That's a huge change to our side.

The new draw makes for interesting results.

Teams in the bottom six play each other twice which means that the best couple will win 8+ games against the worst opposition. That pretty much guarantees that you’ll get someone from the bottom six in the top eight every year.

Every year we are going to see 1-2 of the top 6 from the previous year drop out for the same reason (Adelaide, Geelong and GWS this year).

We will probably see 1-2 of the middle six teams get into the top six (hawthorn and melb this year with essendon and port just missing) and 1-2 dropping out (WB this year).

12 wins is very unlikely to get you a guernsey any more.

Next year it will be Geelong, GWS or Syd, North, Port, Essendon and Adelaide in the middle tier. That is some seriously tough competition that you’re going to have to play twice. I expect you’ll have similar challenges to what we did this year and of those six I think north are clearly the weakest.

13th-14th are great spots on the ladder- WB are just about a lock for the top eight next year I reckon. Collingwood benefited from being in the bottom tier this year as did North.

Yeah I get it but as others have stated these players we are chasing fix our glaring issue. Outside pace, nothing wrong with our back six, we've the hard nuts in the midfield. Our fwd line has a key focal point and some decent support in JZ and Wood.

Our outside run is non existent and we have a few guys that get regular games that just aren't good enough. If we land the three we also need to find room for Jacobs and hopefully Garner at a minimum.
Then we look at the likes of Zurhaar who did ok until injured, LDU, Murphy and EVW (inj) That's a huge change to our side.

I don't have any problem with the make up of our side especially if we get the players we are targeting. I think we'll have a strong team with no glaring weaknesses.

It is the other things i have previously mentioned which are the problems in my eyes...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I laugh at the amount of times I see people on here thinking that if they add player x and player y to their team, they're instantly going to move up x number of spots on the ladder.

Adding players to your team from other clubs is a very small piece of the overall puzzle in terms of success and in fact there are probably more important pieces like club culture, game plans, team structure etc that have far more influence as a whole. Sure it helps, but it's a very simplistic view.

Bit like the fans who luxuriate on the drafts, rare for some kid to make any real impact in the first couple of years.

The problem was poor form more than anything. While you get a boost from adding a few good players to your squad, the main benefit should be from removing the few worst players from your squad, those who tend to have a significant variance in form. If you all of a sudden have players all over the place drop in form then you aren't much better off than before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back