Recommitted Andrew Gaff [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

This time he's spent in Melb with his family will only galvanize his decision to return home. I doubt he plays for us again.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

The flaw with this idea is say a club offers Gaff $2m a year for 5 years. West Coast then match the offer and look to trade with said club, however said club decides 'nah **** you e aren't trading'.
Now West Coast are stuck with a player costing them $2m a year and their salary cap is ****** for the next 5+ years
wouldn't Gaff still leave, via the draft, with that salary?

The flaw with this idea is say a club offers Gaff $2m a year for 5 years. West Coast then match the offer and look to trade with said club, however said club decides 'nah **** you e aren't trading'.
Now West Coast are stuck with a player costing them $2m a year and their salary cap is ****** for the next 5+ years

Exactly woot i would do

Yeah he definitely could. But that doesn't happen for players like him really (some exceptions like tippett).

The general process, in theory:
- gaff agrees with another team that they will lodge a formal FA offer
- west coast decides if they can and will match
- if west coast don't match, he goes, WC get compo
- if west coast do match, then gaff can decide to accept (and stay) or reject
- if he rejects, he becomes like any other player out of contract (traded if one can be agreed, or into the draft if it can't, or gaff may have the offer of staying on the lower amount if west coast are still happy to offer it).

I doubt any club would formally offer $2m a year over 5 years, and if they did we wouldn't match.

IMO if Gaff decided to sign with a Melbourne club as a FA and we matched the offer he wouldn't re-sign with us so would be traded.

There are probably two scenarios where we consider matching a FA offer:

- the compo on offer is band 2 and we want to entice a higher offer to get it to band 1
- we stay top 2 and band 1 comp ends up being pick 20 or so and he chooses to sign with a club that has pick 10 or 12

Matching is all about getting the best deal for the club. If a player wants to stay at a club they just field FA offers to test the market, reject them and sign.

I doubt any club would formally offer $2m a year over 5 years, and if they did we wouldn't match.

IMO if Gaff decided to sign with a Melbourne club as a FA and we matched the offer he wouldn't re-sign with us so would be traded.

There are probably two scenarios where we consider matching a FA offer:

- the compo on offer is band 2 and we want to entice a higher offer to get it to band 1
- we stay top 2 and band 1 comp ends up being pick 20 or so and he chooses to sign with a club that has pick 10 or 12

Matching is all about getting the best deal for the club. If a player wants to stay at a club they just field FA offers to test the market, reject them and sign.

What the official offer is and what the offer is behind the scenes may be different. As long as a club..lets say North have cap room.. Make an offer for 5M over 2 years... (or what ever the feel they have to to get it done) then once he is your player .. agree to another 4 years at a much lower value to average it down. Obviously a nice little gift for Gaff to get such a bang upfront.. but for the club he may only be 1M over 6 years etc.

If West Coast got a offer of 2m per year over 5 years.. and they match ... I wonder within a period of time would they be trying to offload him and having to absorb some of the contract.. thats a lot of money.

No way known would West Coast have the cap space to match a $2mil PA offer!

After just signing Gov on a pile of coin I'd be surprised if they were even able to match $1.2mil PA offers, so that sort of stuff is prolly just a bluff, to try and scare off teams like North (who won't want to have to trade for him when they need the pix for Thomas and co. and possibly Polec), or us (who won't want to have to give up our high first rounder if we can help it).

What the official offer is and what the offer is behind the scenes may be different. As long as a club..lets say North have cap room.. Make an offer for 5M over 2 years... (or what ever the feel they have to to get it done) then once he is your player .. agree to another 4 years at a much lower value to average it down. Obviously a nice little gift for Gaff to get such a bang upfront.. but for the club he may only be 1M over 6 years etc.

If West Coast got a offer of 2m per year over 5 years.. and they match ... I wonder within a period of time would they be trying to offload him and having to absorb some of the contract.. thats a lot of money.

Behind the scenes offers are just a pissing contest.

Whatever the official offer is, that's what we consider matching (or not). Talk of $10m over 5 years is ludicrous. That's GAJ to Gold Coast territory.

Our offer to Gaff to re-sign him will be in the range of $700k-800k p.a. over 4-6 years I would guess. Any offer to sign him as a FA would be in that vicinity or perhaps slightly higher. At most I would expect someone to offer $1m a year over 4-5 years. At that point the compo would be band 1 so we probably wouldn't match anyway, especially if he chose Richmond/Collingwood/Hawthorn who are around us on the ladder or Melbourne who don't have a first round pick.

Behind the scenes offers are just a pissing contest.

Whatever the official offer is, that's what we consider matching (or not). Talk of $10m over 5 years is ludicrous. That's GAJ to Gold Coast territory.

Our offer to Gaff to re-sign him will be in the range of $700k-800k p.a. over 4-6 years I would guess. Any offer to sign him as a FA would be in that vicinity or perhaps slightly higher. At most I would expect someone to offer $1m a year over 4-5 years. At that point the compo would be band 1 so we probably wouldn't match anyway, especially if he chose Richmond/Collingwood/Hawthorn who are around us on the ladder or Melbourne who don't have a first round pick.

Can you remember the way Ball worked when he got picked by Collingwood in the draft?

Yes, why?

Ball nominate a big figure for two years... then after he was a colling wood player .he agree to a 3rd and 4th year at lower averaged out amount. The two years that were nominated at the start was higher to ensure he would get thru

The same approach could be used on FA's . If he moves based on the knowledge that he will get a 6 years deal.. eventually lets say within months.. that doesn't mean the deal submitted to be matched has to be anything other than than two years. So the offer submitted to be matched could be way overs ..ie 2M per year * 2years. .. the club he is going to just needs to structure their cap to have room for it.

Yeah I get the logic, but we're not matching a fictitious $2m p.a. offer that we cannot afford to pay in 2019. North or Carlton or Gold Coast or whoever can concoct as much cap space as they want, we're not matching beyond what we can actually pay.

FWIW Luke Ball would've been a free agent under today's rules and eligible to nominate for the PSD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hardly fighting, more still involved. Destiny isn’t in your hands, you have to rely on results. Same as the bombers and Adelaide.

You’re the level behind.

Still gotta keep winning. Either way it's not the wooden spoon side most of the "footy experts", armchair or otherwise had us.

Put Gaff and Polec in that side though and the issue becomes less. Either way no player is giving up 300-400k a year based on where two teams sit in one season, especially when the difference is four premiership points.

Haggers this morning was confident WC would match the offers to keep him in Perth. I don’t respect Haggers for what his sometimes BS journalism but what he does do well is report on WC trading and contracts with accuracy.

This is only a guess but I would suggest a Kelly has told them he is staying in Geelong in the last week or so and they have diverted those funds to Gaff

Haggers this morning was confident WC would match the offers to keep him in Perth. I don’t respect Haggers for what his sometimes BS journalism but what he does do well is report on WC trading and contracts with accuracy.

This is only a guess but I would suggest a Kelly has told them he is staying in Geelong in the last week or so and they have diverted those funds to Gaff

Fairly certain they just blew a fair chunk of cap-space on McGovern.

This time he's spent in Melb with his family will only galvanize his decision to return home. I doubt he plays for us again.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

You and I both know he'll never be able to step foot in Northbridge or Freo again without some Freo supporting peanut from the Eastern Suburbs giving it to him.

If he leaves it won't be just for the money, so I don't reckon WCE will match.

If he leaves it won't be just for the money, so I don't reckon WCE will match.
If he leaves it is because he wants to live in Melbourne. When he comes to that decision he will then decide whether he wants to earn an extra $300k per year.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

If he leaves it is because he wants to live in Melbourne. When he comes to that decision he will then decide whether he wants to earn an extra $300k per year.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep, he'll find the "perks" in Perth that could make up for any financial shortcomings on his AFL contract.

"Nizzy" will deliver.

If he comes back home, it's for other reasons.

I would say they know what the offers are already. This would have been told to them by the manager.

I would say they know what the offers are already. This would have been told to them by the manager.

Why would Gaff & his management tell WCE about the details of their offers?

If this is about him coming home, then it doesn't have relevance, and if it's about money, he wouldn't be telling WCE the ins and outs of the details.

You and I both know he'll never be able to step foot in Northbridge or Freo again without some Freo supporting peanut from the Eastern Suburbs giving it to him.

Lucky there is no real need to go to either of those guys places. Freo as a city has stagnated for 20 years and northbridge-well anyone going there risks their health.

Freo fans are also scared to reveal who they support unless they are mostly winning. Or win a derby.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back