Andrew Krakouer 1989-90 8 games 8 goals should have played more

Remove this Banner Ad

roo blitz

All Australian
Mar 4, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
With indigenous round coming up I have finally decided to post what I have been wanting to post for a while. Having grown up watching Jimmy and Phil Krakouer play so brilliantly for us I remember their younger brother Andrew playing for us ( not to be confused with Andrew who played more recently with Richmond and Collingwood and who is their uncle). Andrew only played 8 games for us and his kicking style on his left foot was just like Phil and yet he played a lot like Jimmy. I always thought he should have played more . Against Hawthorn who were great at that time he had 15 possessions in 2 qtrs in his first game. It has been great to get to know Andrew in recent years and talk about those days. He is a great lad and a good friend now. Just wondering whether anyone else remembers him playing. He should have definitely played more games for us. His talent was obvious. There is a great U tube clip of him playing against Richmond in 1990 the night Longmire kicked 12 goals. In the final seconds of the game he kicks a magnificent bullet like pass straight onto Johnnys chest to give him his 12th. A talent that should have been allowed to shine more. He played with Carey and co around that time. Some great stories he has told me .

Last edited:

I remember thinking he was going to be awesome. Have I got it right that Jim named his son after his brother?
I"ll find out. I know the story that Jim, Phil and Andrew used to sit on the sofa at home handballing to each other. They used to try and hit their dad on the nose. Their skills were amazing. I will never forget watching Jimmy and Phil play their first 2 games against Tigers at MCG and the famous 2nd game against South Melbourne at Arden street in 1982. They were brilliant. The famous tap on by Phil to Jimmy for a goal in forward pocket under scoreboard was just in front of me.

I had quite a few friends play at North U19's ( we grew up in North's zone,was Sth Melb but of course they moved).

Wasn't his footy ability that held him back from what I've gleaned over the years.

Jimmy and Phil.

The reason I never missed a game regardless of how good bad we were travelling.

Sublime, freakish, talented footballers.

Jimmy was one of the toughest ball players I have ever seen.

Still remember a game at Victoria park when Jimmy was resting in the forward pocket and the nuggety Collingwood back pocket was taunting him. I was close enough to read his lips which clearly included words like Black and C- -t.

Jimmy calmly had a look around made sure goal umpir was looking at the play on outer wing and SMACK hit him flush in the jaw with one of his famous boxing jabs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jimmy and Phil.

The reason I never missed a game regardless of how good bad we were travelling.

Sublime, freakish, talented footballers.

Jimmy was one of the toughest ball players I have ever seen.

Still remember a game at Victoria park when Jimmy was resting in the forward pocket and the nuggety Collingwood back pocket was taunting him. I was close enough to read his lips which clearly included words like Black and C- -t.

Jimmy calmly had a look around made sure goal umpir was looking at the play on outer wing and SMACK hit him flush in the jaw with one of his famous boxing jabs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shane Kerrison was the player.

Spot on. Andy said thats true .Jimmy did name his son Andrew after him.

Did Andy get to play in the same team as Jim and Phil? 1989 was their last year at North and Andy made his debut in 89. I'm not sure but Andy may have debuted late in the year and Jim and Phil may have been injured.

Did Andy get to play in the same team as Jim and Phil? 1989 was their last year at North and Andy made his debut in 89. I'm not sure but Andy may have debuted late in the year and Jim and Phil may have been injured.
No unfortunately they never got to play for the Kangas in 1989 together. Andrew played the following year in 1990 after his bros swapped clubs. He did live with Anthony Stevens for a while

A long time ago I played nippers and under 18s with Phil Krakouer. Billy and little Andrew would all turn up to training. Andy was tiny but yeah surprise surprise they could all play, and fight!

An 11 year old account with 3 posts.

Impressive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back