News Andrew Mackie elevated to List Manager

At least if he’s any good he will stick around longer than Wells has. So young still Mackie

Umm what?

Wells started at the club in 1984 - happens to be the same year that Mackie was born, so 37 years & counting

Mackie has been working with the recruiting team for 4 years, so if he's to stick around longer than Wells, we're looking at at least 33 more years to equal Wells current tenure, & likely needing to stay another 35+ years to be here longer than Wells (depends on how many years Wells deems he has left in him)

I may be wrong, but I'm not sure we'll be seeing Mackie still working in our recruitment department well into his 70s

Tom was earmarked in his role a lot longer i reckon then what what Mack was.
Not quite across the roles but who had Andrew's position prior to him being elevated ?

Wells held the role - he was list manager & recruitment boss

They've now spilt the roles with Mackie taking over as list manger & Wells to focus on recruiting

Tom was earmarked in his role a lot longer i reckon then what what Mack was.
Not quite across the roles but who had Andrew's position prior to him being elevated ?
Andrew.

Says he’s been doing list management work for the club for 2020-21.

what is the difference between a list manager and a recruiting manager?
I’d say list manager focuses on the current players on the list - contract extensions, rookie elevations, delistings etc. Possibly also more involved during the trade period and bringing in players like FAs

Recruitment manager I would think would have more of a focus on draftees

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I’d say list manager focuses on the current players on the list - contract extensions, rookie elevations, delistings etc. Possibly also more involved during the trade period and bringing in players like FAs

Yeah list manager would be players currently on the list, and analyzing future needs and wants? Which the recruiting manager then tries to fill with players outside the club.

Very tough and under appreciated job (by fans) I’d say.

Interesting.
Sounds like Wellsy gets to continue with his 1 Wood - recruiting and draftees - but Mack has to deal with contracts and overall list management

Im sure the soft cap and Wellsy being closer to the end than the start has something to do with it and Mack gets to concentrate on one area and get up to speed more with out having to do the whole shebang.

Go Catters

I think rookie elevations and delistings would be a panel decision, possibly the match panel. although mackie probably does the admin. Trades etc I would have thought would be done by the recruiting manager. Contracts, yeah. C-ordination yeah - sounds a bit like an accountancy role, rather than a footballing talent role.

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
Umm what?

Wells started at the club in 1984 - happens to be the same year that Mackie was born, so 37 years & counting

Mackie has been working with the recruiting team for 4 years, so if he's to stick around longer than Wells, we're looking at at least 33 more years to equal Wells current tenure, & likely needing to stay another 35+ years to be here longer than Wells (depends on how many years Wells deems he has left in him)

I may be wrong, but I'm not sure we'll be seeing Mackie still working in our recruitment department well into his 70s
Nice post but Mackie is actually 27 at most. I know I watched the entirety of his career and all but the guy simply doesn’t age.

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
I think rookie elevations and delistings would be a panel decision, possibly the match panel. although mackie probably does the admin. Trades etc I would have thought would be done by the recruiting manager. Contracts, yeah. C-ordination yeah - sounds a bit like an accountancy role, rather than a footballing talent role.
Who is in the match panel?

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
This is a bit out of date but a good indication of the recruiting managers (Wells)responsibilities and structure to support him.

GEEL-2.jpg

There are three full-time members of the Cats' scouting team, including veteran list and recruiting manager Stephen Wells, former Brisbane Lions midfielder Troy Selwood and Liam Woodland. Selwood and Woodland are both in their first years of the role full-time, while Wells has been at the helm of the Cats since 1994. In that time he has become renowned for finding gems, including Corey Enright, Shane Mumford, Mark Blicavs and Matthew Egan. Selwood holds the role of talent ID manager, which sees him spot the players for his team to follow through the year, as well as organise where to send staff each weekend. Woodland is a talent ID assistant, with the club having one part-timer and six weekend 'watchers' across the country: one in Adelaide, one in Perth and four in Victoria

List Manager Duties (Mackie)INDICATION ONLY WILL VARY CLUB TO CLUB

Duties:
• Establish and monitor the implementation of the Recruiting Program and associated budgets. Undertake recruiting activities throughout all states and territories in Australia. Develop recruiting profiles using Recruiting reports and from video and media
• Formulate and manage the Club Playing List through ongoing assessment in consultation with the GM – Football, Coaching Staff, CEO and staff.
• In consultation with the GM-Football, undertake the contracting of players and the administration of the Salary Cap.
• Maintain a thorough understanding of all AFL rules regarding the recruitment of players.
• Be responsible for player assessment at all levels of football in order to facilitate the best possible recruiting through trading and drafting at the National, Pre--‐Season and Rookie Drafts. Be responsible for preparation and carrying out Trade Day and Player Exchange Programs.
• Update the GM Football, Coach, CEO, GWS Football Subcommittee on all options available to the Club in the form of trades for players or draft selections both to and from the club and recommend and provide a course of action.
• Arrange for recruited players to be inducted into the Club and assist in monitoring all aspects of player welfare and personal development.
• Provide Recruiting reports as required by the GM Football, Coach, CEO, and GFC Football Subcommittee.
Other reasonable duties as directed by the GM Football.

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
I have no idea if this is a good or bad move. not a clue.

but damn im going to have an opinion about it.
It’s a bad move if Mackie is the dude now in control of salaries including those few remaining that were his ex teammates

Oct 31, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
LEEDS
So why did Troy Selwood leave? Was the rumoured falling out with Wells true?

Shooooltzey

Debutant
Oct 22, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
It’s not uncommon anywhere to overpay your mates and screw over the rest. That is a simple fact of life but doesn’t mean Andrew Mackie necessarily would.
This is also a club where he played his entire career and is very passionate about and would want the club to do as well as it possibly could, I could only imagine that he is significantly more passionate about the club as a whole than a few ex-teammates.

It’s a bad move if Mackie is the dude now in control of salaries including those few remaining that were his ex teammates

If we take onboard what you pick one posted a few above this suggestion, it would seem that Mackie isn't the "dude" solely in control of players salaries. So while he holds the title of list manager, he does still report to those above him and work with them on list management decisions, including players salaries

• Formulate and manage the Club Playing List through ongoing assessment in consultation with the GM – Football, Coaching Staff, CEO and staff.
• In consultation with the GM-Football, undertake the contracting of players and the administration of the Salary Cap.

I think it would be very noticeable if he was showing salary favouritism to former teammates over others on the list, and that he wouldn't last long in the role

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
If we take onboard what you pick one posted a few above this suggestion, it would seem that Mackie isn't the "dude" solely in control of players salaries. So while he holds the title of list manager, he does still report to those above him and work with them on list management decisions, including players salaries

I think it would be very noticeable if he was showing salary favouritism to former teammates over others on the list, and that he wouldn't last long in the role

My guess...like trading R1's... wages of a certain level would need more of a tick from above than just ordinary players.

Recruitment manager I would think would have more of a focus on ? potential draftees

Back