Opinion Andrew Mackie - How long is he still useful?

Remove this Banner Ad

So, on that logic every 'useful' senior player should make way for younger AFL listed newbies running around in the VFL 'even if they aren't as good'. So, starting from the backline, that means we tip out Lonegan, Enright, Mackie, Bartel, Sellwood, etc, etc.
2017 will be a tough year!
Yes. They all should go. We should just play under 20s as the 20 year olds are approaching retirement so it's pointless playing them.

Yes. They all should go. We should just play under 20s as the 20 year olds are approaching retirement so it's pointless playing them.
It's a little early in the night to be too full on JB, JD, or B&C but who knows what you might be smoking.
Any GFC supporter is by definition intelligent, so I'll wait until the fog lifts when you might then make a little more sense.
Careful as you go.

It's a little early in the night to be too full on JB, JD, or B&C but who knows what you might be smoking.
Any GFC supporter is by definition intelligent, so I'll wait until the fog lifts when you might then make a little more sense.
Careful as you go.

He isn't being serious, it's just how he perceives Chapman's dismissal apologetics.

Careful as you go.
I'm with lana.

And re: your comment, it's never too early.

His kicking has been a little iffy at times this year coming out of defence, but he he adds a lot of flexibility, still moves well and can play on a few different types. I don't get the bruise-free pretty boy talk, it's bullshit. I've seen him stand under many a high ball and cop it. He's a durable, dependable defender with more polish & creativity than anyone bar Enright back there at the moment.

The irony of the one who buggered off coming back to haunt his replacement. Mitch has great skills, but Mummy could teach him a thing or two about cracking in.

Duncan replaced Mumford in the ruck?
Duncan is sadly one of our only players who stands up for his teammates. You would see that if you weren't counting his tap outs.

Duncan replaced Mumford in the ruck?
Duncan is sadly one of our only players who stands up for his teammates. You would see that if you weren't counting his tap outs.
He's referring to the fact we got Duncan with the pick we got for Mumford.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's referring to the fact we got Duncan with the pick we got for Mumford.
Nevertheless, he's also comparing attributes as footballers, which is non-sensical.
As if Duncan would want to play anything like Mummy does- crash, bang, using his ample body like a battering ram. If Mummy didn't have his over -aggressive attitude, he would not have as much going for himself as a player.
If you are an elite skilled finisher, that is exactly what the team benefits from with that individual.
If you use to be 135 kg and have trimmed down to 120 kg, great, use it, but no point comparing those 2 types of players.

He's had a hair out of place a couple of times.

Mackie has mastered the art of playing bruise free footy.
but no other issues like soft tissue. he is amazingly durable for a matchstick and has been great value from a resiliency perspective even if he does play bruise free footy, we should be thankful. compared to a
Delamey, Cowan, McArthy adn even Menzel who had genetic challenges I am grateful that we have had a great backline over the years thanks to Taylor, Enright, Mack, Scarlo, Milburn who rarely got injured

but no other issues like soft tissue. he is amazingly durable for a matchstick and has been great value from a resiliency perspective even if he does play bruise free footy, we should be thankful. compared to a
Delamey, Cowan, McArthy adn even Menzel who had genetic challenges I am grateful that we have had a great backline over the years thanks to Taylor, Enright, Mack, Scarlo, Milburn who rarely got injured

It's the matchstick guys who seem to escape soft tissue injuries and Mackie has brought a lot to our team in the past 10-12 years no doubt about that.

But he chooses not to commit to numerous contests and has a 'knack' of falling over at the right time to avoid contact. It's great if you can get away with what he does with zero criticism. Other players are not as fortunate I would have thought.

I could see Mackie struggling to get a game next year IF Enright decides to play on in 2017
and IF Thurlow returns successfully from his knee injury.
As for 2016,IMO he has been Ok without reaching any great heights.
A few standout games and a few ordinary one's aswell.
Will be a few interesting conversations at the selection table come finals time though if all the taller defenders are fit .
I get the feeling that playing all of Lonergan,Taylor,Henderson, Koldashnij plus Mackie is no longer the lock for the match committee it was earlier in the season.

It's interesting how we as fans view how a player is going and impacting games, and then you look at stats and other recorded measures of a players impact and it can be different to how we perceive things.

Article released today on the afl site is about pressure acts by each team, and they had the following to say about Geelong's defensive unit.

Backline: The Cats lead the AFL for pressure in the back 50 with 19.8 points. They work together to close space, force quick disposals and cause turnovers. Their highest ranked player is Andrew Mackie at No.41.

He is obviously doing something right, especially when it comes to pressure against the opposition - even if it is something most of us aren't noticing.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-...t-at-your-club?camefrom=EMCL_1227548_47152563

It's interesting how we as fans view how a player is going and impacting games, and then you look at stats and other recorded measures of a players impact and it can be different to how we perceive things.

Article released today on the afl site is about pressure acts by each team, and they had the following to say about Geelong's defensive unit.

Backline: The Cats lead the AFL for pressure in the back 50 with 19.8 points. They work together to close space, force quick disposals and cause turnovers. Their highest ranked player is Andrew Mackie at No.41.

He is obviously doing something right, especially when it comes to pressure against the opposition - even if it is something most of us aren't noticing.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-...t-at-your-club?camefrom=EMCL_1227548_47152563

it just means he is always second to the ball

It is always easier to love the players that crack in really hard, but footy is full of players that aren't like that. There are fast guys that don't look it, blokes who look like they are always in first gear yet go alright, etc. Whilst sometimes, especially in his early days, it frustrated me, Mackie has turned into a very very good player who has an innate ability to influence the contest, stay on this feet and make good decisions whilst not finding himself the hardest nut at the contest. He does however go when he needs to and rather than trying to be something he isn't - a bloody pirate (still such a great call) - he works to his own strengths. He remains calm and is happy to draw a contest, as long as it means he doesn't lose it and can fight another day.

It is also easy to ignore leadership and on-field coaching. Spend 5-10 minutes watching him one game and he is often directing players and making sure everyone is setup correctly. You can't just hand that straight over to a younger bloke.

Mackie has been fine this season. Has a year to go on his contract and if he wants to go on, I see no reason why he can't. It takes 30+ players now to win a premiership, not 22 as people like to think. As long as he is in the top 5-8 defenders on the list, he has a spot. After that, like other players, he can go on a year to year contract.

Mackie rates highly in pressure acts because he tackles a lot.. His tackles are not effective though. Given he's taking the 5th/6th forward he should be working harder offensively than he does.

IMO he coasts too much, he needs to be pushed to work harder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back