Toast Andrew Mackie

Remove this Banner Ad

He was absolutely terrific. In addition to that goal and those crucial defensive marks, he was instrumental in a number of important passages of play. I've always had a lot of time for him anyway, but yesterday was very impressive.

Agreed. The Mackie is soft thing is bullshit.

I've always thought the 'soft' tag was given to him because of his clean-cut pretty-boy good looks. Jimmeh has manly designer-stubble good looks and Chappy's got the old 'solar panel for a sex machine' baldness thing going for him, but clean-shaven and bright-eyed Andrew Mackie just LOOKS 'soft' and so it sticks.

Even now, after all these years.

Sorry but I dont ubnderstand the question...what are we toasting exactly...Mackies been an absolute GUN for 6 years now...Watch his first 1/2 against Port in 2007 GF....Some of his work in 2007 as a sweeping HBF was just beautiful. Was easily BOG up to 1/2 Time in 2007 GF. Despiote losing some form in 2010, never ever did i thnk he should be dropped. May look a bit wobbly and gangly and run kinda lazily, but jeez, the guy is sublime and never seems to get rattled.

Iv never understood when commentators say that mackie is a maligned player.

Im all for credit where credit is due and Mack over the last few years has certainly taken his fair share of scalps and earned the respect and played great... but that my friend is a bit too big of a call for mine.... I seriously doubt there will ever be another Scarlo...

If you mean in the role he plays then perhaps....;)

Go Catters

Definitely the role! The General in defence coming third man over for the latter part of his career.

Great game from Mack yesterday. Kept us in the game early. He is very important to us and is our 'swing man' down back. We need that weekly from him as he is prone to lapses in games...getting better though. Maybe maturing as a person.

I've always thought the 'soft' tag was given to him because of his clean-cut pretty-boy good looks. Jimmeh has manly designer-stubble good looks and Chappy's got the old 'solar panel for a sex machine' baldness thing going for him, but clean-shaven and bright-eyed Andrew Mackie just LOOKS 'soft' and so it sticks.

Even now, after all these years.

Outstanding last year and again today.

PS, he got the "soft" thing because early on, as a forward, he was "soft".
But that's now history.

I think what annoyed me earlier in his career was that I knew Mackie had a bunch of potential/skill, but didn't seem to apply himself as well as he could have.

I really wanted him to be dropped just prior to the finals in 2010 to fire him up for September and unfortunately Bomber did it too late, dropping him for the Prelim. To his credit though, Mackie has gone from strength to strength since that day and has become the star player I had always hoped (but not necessarily expected) he would.

Mackie is our new Scarlett, organising from the backline, giving us the drive from half back, sending the messages down the line, roaring like a wounded bull when we are winning and lifting everyone with sublime skills. That goal yesterday was magic

Yeah he was like once about 8 years. For like a week. Absolute ******* jet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mackie has never been soft so I don't agree with that assessment. His biggest problem has been his lack of awareness and laid back approach sometimes meant when running and carrying the ball he could get run down sometimes. That's not being soft at all, just an awareness issue. He otherwise always competes to the best of his ability. Great game today though.

He absolutely has been and was very lazy with his kicking.

I think he's Geelong's most courageous player now owing to the fact that he has never been a physical player (he didn't need to be and doesn't have the physique for it) and didn't seem to have the natural inclination to back, back and take marks. Despite not having the natural inclination to do it, he now does it frequently and it takes great courage to do something that you know is potentially going to be painful and dangerous and that you've never been comfortable doing.

Well done to him.

I'm not down playing the frequent courage shown by Lonners, Harry, Jimmy, Joel et al but for Mackie it's something that he's learnt to do late in his career and to me that shows great courage.

Timely thread, he's been exceptional during Chris Scott's reign.
His 2011 GF was very underrated.
I was a bit surprised that he didn't go a bit better in last years B&F count.

I had no doubt that he had no doubt that he was gonna slot home that 60m drop punt for a goal.

I thought he was our best in the first half and in the top 3 to 5 on the day.(after Jimmy and Tommy)

I thought he was our best in the first half and in the top 3 to 5 on the day.(after Jimmy and Tommy)

all of his GF performances have been good HHH (2011 probably the best though).

fwiw I would have had him slightly behind Jimmy, Selwood and Hawkins in 2011 - his two smothers were excellent too.

edit : just read your post regarding Mackie's courage HHH and it's a very astute one; I totally agree, being courageous (i.e. putting yourself in a position where you are more than likely to get hurt) doesn't come naturally to Mackie, which only makes his efforts in being courageous all the more meritorious - the mark he took in front of a leading Cloke in the last quarter of the 2011 GF was a great example, Mackie *clearly* had a very good idea of what was coming behind him, he braced himself, took the mark on the chest - and seemingly breathed a very big sigh of relief when he wasnt pole-axed !

the bloke is still pretty slender despite being in the system for for 7-8 years, I don't blame him for having a sense of self-preservation - but he has really come along in leaps and bounds in this regard, particularly under Chris Scott's coaching.

Sorry but I dont ubnderstand the question...what are we toasting exactly...Mackies been an absolute GUN for 6 years now...Watch his first 1/2 against Port in 2007 GF....Some of his work in 2007 as a sweeping HBF was just beautiful. Was easily BOG up to 1/2 Time in 2007 GF. Despiote losing some form in 2010, never ever did i thnk he should be dropped. May look a bit wobbly and gangly and run kinda lazily, but jeez, the guy is sublime and never seems to get rattled.

spot on - watch the last quarter of the 2009 GF. It was the work of Mackie & Rooke that kept us in the gun. Sure, he would go missing when there is nothing in the game. But I think that he may have left that trait behine.

top player always has been, just took some time to get going is all.

Not one bit surprised he got slammed by a few of our posters years back.
Often cringe and have to bite my tongue at some of the putrid s**t that still gets tossed around on some of the youngsters.
Guess all is forgotten in 5 years time as bumping threads is no longer allowed.

Particularly liked the one a couple years back calling for Chapman to retire :thumbsu:

What I will say about Mackie is that he has been one of our most consistent best players in big games and finals since 2007 except for a poor year in 2010.
He may be laconic and seemingly lazy but he performs when it counts.
he's a gun in my eyes, !

I think what annoyed me earlier in his career was that I knew Mackie had a bunch of potential/skill, but didn't seem to apply himself as well as he could have.

I really wanted him to be dropped just prior to the finals in 2010 to fire him up for September and unfortunately Bomber did it too late, dropping him for the Prelim. To his credit though, Mackie has gone from strength to strength since that day and has become the star player I had always hoped (but not necessarily expected) he would.

Couldn't agree more. It's been the making of him. I can only remember one stinker he's had since then (early 2011 against Fremantle - and yes, I wanted his head on a platter after that game). Just a great, great player these days. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see him make the AA team at the end of the year, if he continues on from his 2011-12 form. As far as I'm concerned, he's as good as any half back in the league right now.

I would like to say though, even though my man-love for Mackie has gone through the roof over the past two years, it doesn't mean people were wrong to want him to be dropped when he hasn't played so well. Players have to earn their spot in the side and to Mack's credit, his spot could not have been reasonably questioned by anyone for nearly two years now. I think there's a bit too much of that on our board. If a player deserves to be dropped at the time, he deserves to be dropped...simple as that, really. Doesn't mean he's hated (well, usually it doesn't).

all of his GF performances have been good HHH (2011 probably the best though).

Geelong would have been in deep excrement in the 2009 GF if it was not for Mackie. Go and watch the first 1/2 when the Cats were under siege and Hayes was running amuck. Mackie repelled many attacks from 1/2 back and took a number of important marks. He was our best defender when the heat was on in the first half.

top player always has been, just took some time to get going is all.

Not one bit surprised he got slammed by a few of our posters years back.
Often cringe and have to bite my tongue at some of the putrid s**t that still gets tossed around on some of the youngsters.
Guess all is forgotten in 5 years time as bumping threads is no longer allowed.

Particularly liked the one a couple years back calling for Chapman to retire :thumbsu:

When did that happen?

Bring back Moloney;21151731 said:
The bloke is softer than marshmallow!
Bring back Moloney;21151731 said:
Really sick of his efforts. ONLY reason he's been playing is he can back-up Ottens in the ruck.

Hopefully they can stick with Vardy and just PISS HIM OFF!!!

dreamtimeteam;21181502 said:
Hawkins has had enough time. Trade or delist. Time for Hawkins to think about life outside football. TAFE course would be a good start.

kicksome;21184314 said:
kent kingsly > tom hawkins

It's interesting watching footy with someone from another culture who has no idea what's going on. My Asian mate has really picked Mackie out over the games I've watched with him for his lip, his awareness, his fantastic rebounding skill, and his general air of braggadocio (it's OK to be a cocky mutha on a footy field if you can take what you dish out, right?) He's been a pivot for ages, and pretty clearly so IMO. Certainly no pussy.

Bomba really was a bit of a pain towards the end. Ablett and Mackie ... he wasn't getting the best out of strong characters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back