Toast Andrew Mackie

Remove this Banner Ad

the OP surprises me a bit. mackie might be underrated by others but not by Cats supporters. he's a top performer and has been for awhile

was great on Monday. fearless, creative and attacking defender. so good to have young fellas learning from him.

one of my favorite mackie moments was in the 2009 1 point win over hawks when scarlo and taylor went off injured Mackie stepped up and took buddy and held him very well. from memory Franklin did get a couple of goals on him but they were just freaky buddy goals that noone could stop

Loved him ever since he received a hospital pass from Ben Graham in hos 1st or 2nd year, stood his ground, and was damaged. Had kicked 3 goals already, iirc, v NM at Geelong.

Then he lost his way a bit, not for long, played wing to hbf, and the rest is like someone said, a maturing very good bottle of red.

He really won me over v Haw in 09, when Scarlo and HT both were injured before 1/2 time, showed us what to look forward to post Scarlett.

He is after all a triple premiership player, and absolutely vital to our setup, unique and remarkably durable. Footy smarts.

hahaha you beat me to it

Top post. Highly underated poster this one.

Such wonderous insight you have.

Please, do educate us more oh wise guru.

Grow up.

You wondered why commentators considered him maligned.

A reply was posted that you must not have spent much time on BF.

You asked to be enlightened.

The obvious response is "he has been much maligned".

Now get back in your box.

It's interesting watching footy with someone from another culture who has no idea what's going on. My Asian mate has really picked Mackie out over the games I've watched with him for his lip, his awareness, his fantastic rebounding skill, and his general air of braggadocio (it's OK to be a cocky mutha on a footy field if you can take what you dish out, right?) He's been a pivot for ages, and pretty clearly so IMO. Certainly no pussy.

Bomba really was a bit of a pain towards the end. Ablett and Mackie ... he wasn't getting the best out of strong characters.
Apparently Mack is our best sledger, too.
In the 2011 GF when he has a chat with Blair on the wing and Blair was laughing, I heard Blair in an interview say he'd been getting into Mack, who turned, looked him in the eye and said "Who the * are you?"!!!
Gold...

In the 2011 GF when he has a chat with Blair on the wing and Blair was laughing, I heard Blair in an interview say he'd been getting into Mack, who turned, looked him in the eye and said "Who the **** are you?"!!!
Gold...
Yes! If you look closely and imagine you're a lip reader, you can see it. From memory, Blair does the only option a newbie like him could do - abject laughter - as his elder and better pushes past him. As sterling a moment as SJs monumental spray towards the end.

the OP surprises me a bit. mackie might be underrated by others but not by Cats supporters. he's a top performer and has been for awhile

was great on Monday. fearless, creative and attacking defender. so good to have young fellas learning from him.

one of my favorite mackie moments was in the 2009 1 point win over hawks when scarlo and taylor went off injured Mackie stepped up and took buddy and held him very well. from memory Franklin did get a couple of goals on him but they were just freaky buddy goals that noone could stop
Actually I don't think Franklin kicked any goals on him (maybe 1). He had like four and was dominating when we switched Mackie on to him. However, around that time Franklin got injured and could barely run or jump for the rest of the match. So not really sure how much credit should be given to Mackie as he was playing on a lame duck.

Mackie played one of the best games I've seen from him on the weekend. His regular big bomb goal out of nothing and those very solid marks in the backline like in the 2011 grand final stood out. I've never been a massive fan of Mackie. Used to say he was our equivalent of Blumfield and Heffernen. A very very good player in a great side, but if we ever become crap he would start to look very ordinary. Since the 2011 Grand Final my view has been changing however. Can be very solid in defence as well as very flashy running with the ball down the wings and kicking long goals.

Geelong would have been in deep excrement in the 2009 GF if it was not for Mackie. Go and watch the first 1/2 when the Cats were under siege and Hayes was running amuck. Mackie repelled many attacks from 1/2 back and took a number of important marks. He was our best defender when the heat was on in the first half.

I thought our whole defense was really really good, particularly during the 2nd quarter when we were under siege - I've watched that game a few more times than the other two flag dvds too ... but yeah, agree, Mackie was very good.

i loved the reverse angle on his 60 metre goal... looked like the action for a 30 metre stab pass, his motion was so fluid and efficient.

seeing the ball in his hands 60 from goal is always a good thing.

i loved the reverse angle on his 60 metre goal... looked like the action for a 30 metre stab pass, his motion was so fluid and efficient.

seeing the ball in his hands 60 from goal is always a good thing.

LIKE for avatar as well

In the 2011 GF when he has a chat with Blair on the wing and Blair was laughing, I heard Blair in an interview say he'd been getting into Mack, who turned, looked him in the eye and said "Who the **** are you?"!!!
Gold...
I recall that was the young upstart Alex Fasolo but I could be wrong. Either way, I enjoyed watching the chirp!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I recall that was the young upstart Alex Fasolo but I could be wrong. Either way, I enjoyed watching the chirp!

Yep gave him a serve aswell, I've been told 2 versions, one was "I'm about to become a 3 time premiership player, WHAT THE F&^* HAVE YOU DONE?!?"
aswell as the typical "Who the f*&$ are you!?".
Apparently hes one of the best because hes clever with his sledging, its not that stupid "Yo Momma!" kind of stuff it tends to be stuff that embarrasses the opponent and makes them laugh at the same time.
But really, when your a 3 time premiership player you OWN everyone else.

I think his hardness/commitment has improved greatly since being dropped in 2010. Coincides with C Scott coming to Geelong. C Scott also seems to have made J Hunt and Varcoe tougher players. And he's got more out of Lonergan than Bomber Thompson ever did (though toughness was never in doubt). I don't mean to criticize Bomber, though, because his tough brand of football is what we built our premierships on and without him we'd be nothing. But Scott seems to have been able to get a bit more out of a few players. Maybe a bit of maturity on the part of the players too.

Sorry to intrude. Andrew Mackie used to play footy for Glenelg and the ground was right next to my house so I got to see some of his earlier footy. I've always kept a close eye on him ever since he moved to Geelong. He's a quality player. Thought he was very good for you guys against Hawthorn. He really adds something to your side when he's in form. He seems to be good in the air, great in one vs one contests, and apparently an awesome kick as well. If Geelong can keep its second-tier guys playing at such a high level, they are every bit, a top 4 side.

Just kills me seeing so many good South Australian players carving it up in Victoria while my own team struggles to hang on to its best players.

Sorry to intrude. Andrew Mackie used to play footy for Glenelg and the ground was right next to my house so I got to see some of his earlier footy. I've always kept a close eye on him ever since he moved to Geelong. He's a quality player. Thought he was very good for you guys against Hawthorn. He really adds something to your side when he's in form. He seems to be good in the air, great in one vs one contests, and apparently an awesome kick as well. If Geelong can keep its second-tier guys playing at such a high level, they are every bit, a top 4 side.

Just kills me seeing so many good South Australian players carving it up in Victoria while my own team struggles to hang on to its best players.
For every Mackie there is a Dangerfield.

Loved him ever since he received a hospital pass from Ben Graham in hos 1st or 2nd year, stood his ground, and was damaged. Had kicked 3 goals already, iirc, v NM at Geelong.

Then he lost his way a bit, not for long, played wing to hbf, and the rest is like someone said, a maturing very good bottle of red.

He really won me over v Haw in 09, when Scarlo and HT both were injured before 1/2 time, showed us what to look forward to post Scarlett.

He is after all a triple premiership player, and absolutely vital to our setup, unique and remarkably durable. Footy smarts.
I think that game in 09 he stood Franklin one out & matched him brilliantly when we were desperate. His laconic kicking style always has him looking like he is about to be smothered but he hits targets so regularly that I will wear the occasional slip up.
Silk!

Grow up.

You wondered why commentators considered him maligned.

A reply was posted that you must not have spent much time on BF.

You asked to be enlightened.

The obvious response is "he has been much maligned".

Now get back in your box.

Just breathe now, no need to having a tantrum.

Asked a legit question, reply didnt answer question. Thought i might have been given an adequate response that expands on why this.

How about an answer to the OP of...Just Cos!

If growing up means becoming a grumpy tired old fart like yourself...well, consider me immature.

Go write some letters to the editor ya old bugger!

Now..back to the topic.

A number of posts in various threads over the past few weeks keep mentioning that this will be Mackie's last few months in the Hoops - it seems to be almost of given, along with Lonners.

He'll be out of contract, sure, but has he actually said where he's at? Has the club?

I think he's had a pretty good year and is deserving of one more year if he wants it.

A number of posts in various threads over the past few weeks keep mentioning that this will be Mackie's last few months in the Hoops - it seems to be almost of given, along with Lonners.

He'll be out of contract, sure, but has he actually said where he's at? Has the club?

I think he's had a pretty good year and is deserving of one more year if he wants it.
Agree, he is playing goof experienced- something we don't have that much of- footy and with barely any injuries over the years his body should withstand another year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back