Recommitted Andrew McGrath [re-signed until 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Not disappointed with Andy I still think he'll be a very good layer for us for a long time but Taranto is the one I really think we missed - Exactly the type of mid we need. He would have been a reach at #1 based on what we knew about him at the time though.

Pick 1’s are almost never the best player in the draft, but McGrath has a pretty high floor and has all the intangibles with his competitiveness and leadership qualities. He will become a better footballer with more midfield exposure.

I didn’t rate Taranto that highly in his draft year either. I saw him mostly dominating due to his size and endurance, and thought his kicking action was awkward and inconsistent. Granted he had the benefit of benefit of being the 3rd, 4th or 5th best inside mid in his first few years, his junior game has actually translated perfectly, and if anything his game has actually become more rounded since entering the AFL system. His Grand Final performance was outstanding too, given the circumstances.

I actually thought mid-year Essendon were going to bid on Setterfield at Pick 1, which GWS probably wouldn’t have matched.

Either of them are excellent value at pick 1. Essendon definitely didn't make the incorrect choice.

Taranto light years better than both at this stage, and McCluggage is clearly better than McGrath.

Why Essendon, who've been crying out for athletic big inside mids forever, picked a 5'10" flanker/outside mid at #1, is a head-scratcher to say the least.

Taranto light years better than both at this stage, and McCluggage is clearly better than McGrath.

Why Essendon, who've been crying out for athletic big inside mids forever, picked a 5'10" flanker/outside mid at #1, is a head-scratcher to say the least.
Yeah, no.

Taranto is very good, but so is McGrath and so is McCluggage. While I'm very happy to have Tim apart of our future plans at the Giants, I'd be equally happy with either of the other two.

Yeah, no.

Taranto is very good, but so is McGrath and so is McCluggage. While I'm very happy to have Tim apart of our future plans at the Giants, I'd be equally happy with either of the other two.

You are right, but I guess the line of thinking (rightly or wrongly) is that Taranto and McLuggage have higher ceilings than McGrath (whch is not something i necessarily agree with)

Its a interesting one but at the time merrett and parish were our only small onballers.
Smith joined a year later, shiel a year after that

Im thinking we thought ourselves a good chance for setterfield, or unearthing a tim kelly of our own perhaps?

Not disappointed in him (as much as i liked and like taranto).
Has shown a great curve from hbf to part time mid to looking ready to be full time inside mid.

I’m critical of Dodoro but this isn’t one that bothers me. Taranto wouldn’t be the answer, he’s essentially Heppell. 5 clearances a game and a goal every two games. McCluggage is the one I wanted but I question his ability to develop an inside game beyond what it is currently. McGrath is certainly third presently but appears to have the most growth left.

Was great in both Marsh games

Hoping this is the year where he becomes that bonafide mid that Essendon is craving for.
He’s one where he could get a serious pay rise if he can show his worth as a mid

if the season gets cancelled he’s the type of player that benefits the least

Not disappointed with Andy I still think he'll be a very good layer for us for a long time but Taranto is the one I really think we missed - Exactly the type of mid we need. He would have been a reach at #1 based on what we knew about him at the time though.
GWS moved mountains to get Taranto at 2. He's exactly who you needed and should have taken. McGrath was the reach given the next two players were superior at the time and even more so since.

GWS moved mountains to get Taranto at 2. He's exactly who you needed and should have taken. McGrath was the reach given the next two players were superior at the time and even more so since.
GWS wanted McGrath, so did we. Don't change the narrative because it suits your argument.

Also literally every underage watcher at the time had McGrath ahead of Taranto.

Hindsight recruiting.

McGrath was a consensus top 2 pick in 2016. It is simply incorrect to suggest he was a reach at the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taranto wasn’t even talked about as an option for us on this board. It was out of Cluggage and McGrath with Setterfield being the outside chance.
Yeah but that doesn't suit the narrative.

Can't believe how much McGrath gets talked down on this board. He's a genuine gun.
It's 2001 all over again. We picked one of three very good players, yet because the other two are better we picked up a "dud". Many are calling him our next captain.

As an aside, that 2001 draft had 12 of the top 13 play 50+ games and 13 of the top 20 (first round) play over 100 games! 26 players from that draft played over 100 games.

I think Ainsworth was tipped top 3 with McLuggage and McGrath
It would be interesting to see where the three would be rated if O'Meara had chosen Essendon (deal would have been 1 for 4 and Jaeger plus change).

GC wanted Clug so that would have been pick 1
GWS would have taken McGrath
Brisbane had a clear Vic Country agenda at that point so probably would have picked Ainsworth
We'd have bid on Setterfield and then probably would have taken Taranto

Picks 6 through 11 probably wouldn't have changed.

Also would be interesting to see who Hawthorn would have taken at what would end up as pick 12, perhaps Marshall?

GWS wanted McGrath, so did we. Don't change the narrative because it suits your argument.

Also literally every underage watcher at the time had McGrath ahead of Taranto.
No they didn't.

Hindsight recruiting.

McGrath was a consensus top 2 pick in 2016. It is simply incorrect to suggest he was a reach at the time.
Nup.

Taranto wasn’t even talked about as an option for us on this board. It was out of Cluggage and McGrath with Setterfield being the outside chance.
"Essendon stuffs up recruiting decision". Hold the presses.

It's 2001 all over again.
Yep. You had a choice between Chris Judd and Luke Hodge and chose Luke Ball.

No they didn't.

Nup.

I think you're done here. This isn't Bay 13.

No they didn't.
Yes they did, it was widely reported across the press that GWS had traded up to get McGrath
Yes, he was. If we took McCluggage, GWS were taking McGrath
Laughable. We didn't stuff it up.
I think you need to revisit what happened in 2001. Also we took Hodge.

Changing the facts to suit your agenda. I didn't realise Donald Trump was on BigFooty.

Taranto has been better so far but everyone at the time would have picked McGrath first and he still has time to overtake
Totally agree. I feel like McGrath gets unfairly critiqued because there's a feeling (rightly or wrongly) that Essendon shouldn't have received the number 1 pick that season and some supporters are almost begging him to fail. It won't happen. He's a very good footballer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back