Recommitted Andrew McGrath [re-signed until 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s more injuries that has held Ainsworth’s development and career back somewhat.

There is also the worry that blokes his who rely somewhat on being stronger/more athletic than their peers don’t become quite as good at AFL level. I think McGrath suffers from this a bit blokes couldn’t lay a hand on him at u18 level

It is possible to praise another player in the same draft (Taranto) without slandering another McGrath, who is a fine player with an huge upside, once Essingtin find the best position for him to play him and stick him there.
And FWIW, I am 99.8 % certain he will re-sign with the Done, Kid strikes me as the loyal type. Future captain for sure.

Was very good in the match sim today winning clearances and creating options going to make the midfield spot his own.
Who else do you have that look like long term prospects to support McGrath in the middle?

Merrett, Parish and Shiel are the only players who come to mind.

And how is Tom Cutler going?

Who else do you have that look like long term prospects to support McGrath in the middle?

What point are you trying to make?

Blokes I see playing plenty of senior footy through the midfield in 2020 are; Shiel, Merrett, Smith, McGrath, Heppell, Parish, Snelling, Zaharakis, Langord (wing), Cutler (wing), Ham (Wing). Plus Walla and Stringer get used regularly at centre bounces.

No idea how many games these blokes will play but are midfielders; Clarke, Hibberd, Mutch.

Cutler wasn’t bad in round 1. Could definitely lower his eyes a bit more but then again sometimes that extra distance he gets on his kicks can catch the opposition unawares.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully the likes of Clarke can develop further but the cupboard is bare

Cutler has been a solid performer and looks the right fit for the club

What point are you trying to make?

Blokes I see playing plenty of senior footy through the midfield in 2020 are; Shiel, Merrett, Smith, McGrath, Heppell, Parish, Snelling, Zaharakis, Langord (wing), Cutler (wing), Ham (Wing). Plus Walla and Stringer get used regularly at centre bounces.

No idea how many games these blokes will play but are midfielders; Clarke, Hibberd, Mutch.

Cutler wasn’t bad in round 1. Could definitely lower his eyes a bit more but then again sometimes that extra distance he gets on his kicks can catch the opposition unawares.
Was a straight up question, not trying to make a point.

Who are your long term mids already on your list.

In regards to Cutler, that was one of the main reasons we got rid of him (unfortunately).

Was a straight up question, not trying to make a point.

Who are your long term mids already on your list.

In regards to Cutler, that was one of the main reasons we got rid of him (unfortunately).

What line are you trying to draw with long term? Shiel is 27, Heppell is 28, Smith is 27. How is Shiel long term but the other two aren’t?

The only midfielder we’ve taken in the last 3 drafts I’m confident will be a good player is Ham.

What line are you trying to draw with long term? Shiel is 27, Heppell is 28, Smith is 27. How is Shiel long term but the other two aren’t?

The only midfielder we’ve taken in the last 3 drafts I’m confident will be a good player is Ham.
Mate, you’re trying to read something in to my post that isn’t there. I don’t know your list, and only mentioned the midfielders I could think of off the bat.

It was a pretty straight up question. You can ask eDPS if I’m usually a straight shooting poster.

Mate, you’re trying to read something in to my post that isn’t there. I don’t know your list, and only mentioned the midfielders I could think of off the bat.

It was a pretty straight up question. You can ask eDPS if I’m usually a straight shooting poster.

No I’m taking you at face value I’m just trying to correctly answer your question.

Sorry mate, that’s revisionism.
Fair enough had enough people disagree that obviously my memory of it is false, though I was adamant that was the case. Sometimes you make memories up in your head. Maybe Essendon were set on McGrath at #1 pretty early on and that's the info I'm thinking of.

Fair enough had enough people disagree that obviously my memory of it is false, though I was adamant that was the case. Sometimes you make memories up in your head. Maybe Essendon were set on McGrath at #1 pretty early on and that's the info I'm thinking of.
I think the Lions has Mcclugge at pick 1 but the Giants I think had McGrath pick 1.

I think the Lions has Mcclugge at pick 1 but the Giants I think had McGrath pick 1.
I think they all had a similar top 5 (Bri, Car, Ess, GC, GWS)

Bri: McCluggage, Ainsworth, McGrath, Taranto, Setterfield
Car: McGrath, Setterfield, McCluggage, Taranto, Ainsworth
Ess: McGrath, McCluggage, Setterfield, Taranto, Ainsworth
GC: McCluggage, Ainsworth, McGrath, Setterfield, Taranto
GWS: McGrath, Taranto, McCluggage, Setterfield, Ainsworth

So if Jaeger chose Essendon over Hawthorn, the draft could have been

GC: McC
GWS: McG
Bri: Ainsworth (they were on a Vic C binge at the time)
GWS: Setterfield (Essendon would have bidded)
Ess: Taranto

Funny how things could have worked out.

I think they all had a similar top 5 (Bri, Car, Ess, GC, GWS)

Bri: McCluggage, Ainsworth, McGrath, Taranto, Setterfield
Car: McGrath, Setterfield, McCluggage, Taranto, Ainsworth
Ess: McGrath, McCluggage, Setterfield, Taranto, Ainsworth
GC: McCluggage, Ainsworth, McGrath, Setterfield, Taranto
GWS: McGrath, Taranto, McCluggage, Setterfield, Ainsworth

So if Jaeger chose Essendon over Hawthorn, the draft could have been

GC: McC
GWS: McG
Bri: Ainsworth (they were on a Vic C binge at the time)
GWS: Setterfield (Essendon would have bidded)
Ess: Taranto

Funny how things could have worked out.
what have you based this on? did you find some articles from the time? or just memory/opinion

what have you based this on? did you find some articles from the time? or just memory/opinion
Memory mostly. I distinctly remember both Qld clubs wanted a VC player.

Interesting retrospective from that time is that McLuggage was considered a massive flight risk selection by The Lions (people guessed the images of him not looking happy when he was drafted by Brisbane) and would go back home within 2 years.

He is now happy and signed up on good deal with Brisbane, i guess it shows club's (esp interstate ones) should always pick the best available talent/player and back in their system and culture to retain their kids.

Same thing is now happening at Gold Coast with all their key pillars locked away long term (much to the chagrin of the Crows and Port :) )

Interesting retrospective from that time is that McLuggage was considered a massive flight risk selection by The Lions (people guessed the images of him not looking happy when he was drafted by Brisbane) and would go back home within 2 years.

He is now happy and signed up on good deal with Brisbane, i guess it shows club's (esp interstate ones) should always pick the best available talent/player and back in their system and culture to retain their kids.

Same thing is now happening at Gold Coast with all their key pillars locked away long term (much to the chagrin of the Crows and Port :) )
First I’ve ever heard that McCluggage was considered a flight risk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back