Recommitted Andrew McGrath [signed til 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

McGrath is in the Liam Shiels mould of footballer (a smaller, less defensively accountable version). Solid, 200+ game, excellent clubman but too small, too slow and not skillful enough to hang it with the big dogs.

Shiels weapon was his ability to lockdown an opponent and do the defensive tough stuff to let his more offensively minded midfielders shine (Mitchell, Lewis, Smith).

Unfortunately for McGrath he even lacks that ability. He's not a tackle machine. He's not an accountable two way runner. He doesn't have superstars to support to elevate his own game.

Just a very vanilla player. Certainly not worthy of the number 1 pick, but I guess in fairness not many #1 picks elevate themselves to be worthy of that standard.
I disagree with this assessment of McGrath. What you've listed as his weaknesses are actually his strengths?

He is quick and he's an excellent two-way runner.

He's just not a match winner offensively as a mid. Doesn't dominate clearances or contested ball like the elite mids do and he's not overly damaging with his disposal.

The problem with McGrath is that he's a Kane Lambert level midfielder that is judged as a Clayton Oliver level mid because of where he was drafted.

I'd be pretty happy for the Saints to do our first round pick (let's say 14) and Jack Bytel for McGrath.
Jack is probably a bit too good to be playing VFL, is still young, and would benefit from playing at a club that needs a coal face in and under mid. McGrath would slip in quite nicely at half back along side Sinclair, and could potentially shine in a new environment. And a pick between 15-20 seems about right for McGrath on form, but the number 1 tag ups that price a bit.
Jesus, Dodo would even give you a appreciatice reach around if you proposed that deal. You’re speaking his kind of language.

I disagree with this assessment of McGrath. What you've listed as his weaknesses are actually his strengths?

He's just not a match winner offensively as a mid. Doesn't dominate clearances or contested ball like the elite mids do and he's not overly damaging with his disposal.

The problem with McGrath is that he's a Kane Lambert level midfielder that is judged as a Clayton Oliver level mid because of where he was drafted.
Nailed it.

As I’ve said, a 1st rounder in the teens is fair compo. Though I hope he stays and is played in a more defensive role.

Norm Smith Medal voting

10 Jason Johannisen
8 Josh Kennedy
7 Tom Boyd
5 Liam Picken

How the judges voted

Brad Johnson (Fox Footy): Johannisen 3, Kennedy 2, Boyd 1.
Emma Quayle (The Age): Boyd 3, Johannisen 2, Kennedy 1.
Wayne Carey (Channel 7): Boyd 3, Picken 2, Kennedy 1.
Michael Voss (SEN 1116): Johannisen 3, Picken 2, Kennedy 1.
Jay Clark (Herald Sun): Kennedy 3, Johannisen 2, Picken 1.

You really are splitting hairs. Professionals Quayle (great judge) and Carey (great judge) said he was BOG. Johnson (not the brightest spark) had him third-best. Voss (bit of a thicko) didn't give him a vote, neither did Clark (absolute dipsh!t). These just happened to be the 'experts' giving the votes that day. Many others said Boyd was BOG.
Regardless, he was clearly one of the best players in the biggest game. He took it by the scruff of the neck and led his team to victory as the dominant big man on the ground. That's where you make your name, not triangulating handballs at half-back against also-rans.
The same Wayne Carey who thought Carlton should trade pick one for Frost, Bugg and Tyson? 🤪

McGrath doesn't have Lambert's hands. Not many do.

Nailed it.

As I’ve said, a 1st rounder in the teens is fair compo. Though I hope he stays and is played in a more defensive role.
Yet if at any stage while Kane Lambert was playing a key role in three premierships a Richmond supporter had suggested he would be worth pick 17 it would have been treated with scorn and derision.

Yet if at any stage while Kane Lambert was playing a key role in three premierships a Richmond supporter had suggested he would be worth pick 17 it would have been treated with scorn and derision.
I highly doubt that. AA squad and key midfielder in Richmond’s flag years. He was absolutely worth a 1st rounder.

Boyd has never been a better player than McGratj

Yeah that was a very weird take.

I will be honest, if Essendon could get a late first round pick for McGrath, and package it with something else and get another top 10 pick in this year's draft
(which has plenty of KPP depth), I think it's something the Bombers should seriously consider.

This is not an indictment on McGrath as a player but an opportunity for Essendon to cash in on a draft that could provide you with a couple of blue chip players in positions of need that could help with your list rebuild.

Yeah that was a very weird take.

I will be honest, if Essendon could get a late first round pick for McGrath, and package it with something else and get another top 10 pick in this year's draft
(which has plenty of KPP depth), I think it's something the Bombers should seriously consider.

This is not an indictment on McGrath as a player but an opportunity for Essendon to cash in on a draft that could provide you with a couple of blue chip players in positions of need that could help with your list rebuild.
There are 3 players that I would trade ahead of Pidge. Unfortunately all three are contracted and only one is likely to leave, and that's the guy who nets less than him in Shiel.

He's pretty much our most consistent defensive midfielder. Is that what you want from a #1 draft pick? No, but I'd keep him over Shiel, Parish and Merrett.

Nailed it.

I don't think he'll leave.
I imagine he likely wants a bit of better form before he re-negotiates for longer than 2 (can see him being a 3-4 signing)

We're also just getting him into the right role in that defensive wing/def spot. Ideally the groin concern over the weekend isn't serious and he gets a good chunk of the second half of the season to build on that role.

Honestly thought this guy was in his 3rd or 4th year. He got drafted in 2016? Wow, he’s really stagnated. What’s up with that, injuries? Looking at his stats he hasn’t missed heaps of footy. Is it a case of a fresh start might be best for both parties? I’d take him at Port, for the right price obviously.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Norm Smith Medal voting

10 Jason Johannisen
8 Josh Kennedy
7 Tom Boyd
5 Liam Picken

How the judges voted

Brad Johnson (Fox Footy): Johannisen 3, Kennedy 2, Boyd 1.
Emma Quayle (The Age): Boyd 3, Johannisen 2, Kennedy 1.
Wayne Carey (Channel 7): Boyd 3, Picken 2, Kennedy 1.
Michael Voss (SEN 1116): Johannisen 3, Picken 2, Kennedy 1.
Jay Clark (Herald Sun): Kennedy 3, Johannisen 2, Picken 1.

You really are splitting hairs. Professionals Quayle (great judge) and Carey (great judge) said he was BOG. Johnson (not the brightest spark) had him third-best. Voss (bit of a thicko) didn't give him a vote, neither did Clark (absolute dipsh!t). These just happened to be the 'experts' giving the votes that day. Many others said Boyd was BOG.
Regardless, he was clearly one of the best players in the biggest game. He took it by the scruff of the neck and led his team to victory as the dominant big man on the ground. That's where you make your name, not triangulating handballs at half-back against also-rans.

Paid to give there opinion in different channels of public areas (votes) = professional

Splitting hairs is trying to clasp onto something that is all here say

Is a double edged sword. Good at a lot but not a superstar in any seems to be the common consensus amongst supporters
He is harshly judged by most of us solely due to overall number 1 pick. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and no one was ever taking Sean Darcy or Tim English at the time. To be honest his draft year was weak and I thought Hugh Mcluggage should have gone 1. But Mcgrath was always going top 3 and his career is better than he gets credit for and another club could play him in his best position.

He is harshly judged by most of us solely due to overall number 1 pick. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and no one was ever taking Sean Darcy or Tim English at the time. To be honest his draft year was weak and I thought Hugh Mcluggage should have gone 1. But Mcgrath was always going top 3 and his career is better than he gets credit for and another club could play him in his best position.

Felt the same way abour Bryce Gibbs and his career at Carlton, although to be fair, no one could have imagined at the time what a legend of the Cats and champion of the game that Joel Selwood would become.

Also under q better coach and development system, McGrath would have had a bit more successful.

This may sound naive, if not downright crazy, but I honestly believe McGrath would have been a considerably better and well round and evolved player if he was coached and developed by Hird from day one of his AFL career instead of Woosha.

A bust is Josh Scache, Cam Rayner, Tom Boyd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boyd was great in a Prelim and should have got the NS in the GF.

So maybe a bust for GWS but Ive never met a Dogs supporter who hated that deal.

Even when he quit he chose to leave without receiving his money he was entitled to in his contract. A decent human being who achieved all of our childhood dream.

Not worth the number 1 pick but could still turn into a great half back flanker.

Plays his best footy when he has to be accountable for a man and can see the game unfolding in front of him.

Boyd was great in a Prelim and should have got the NS in the GF.

So maybe a bust for GWS but Ive never met a Dogs supporter who hated that deal.

Even when he quit he chose to leave without receiving his money he was entitled to in his contract. A decent human being who achieved all of our childhood dream.

Being a number 1 draft pick and be traded, obviously not worth his weight in gold.

Getting 200 club games out of your number 1 draft pick? that should be a win enough imho. Brownlows, b&f's is nice and all but isn't it success the sum of all parts?

Being a number 1 draft pick and be traded, obviously not worth his weight in gold.

Getting 200 club games out of your number 1 draft pick? that should be a win enough imho. Brownlows, b&f's is nice and all but isn't it success the sum of all parts?

Success is flags. Like I said, find some Dogs fans who think he was a bust.

For GWS sure. But they had dozens of top 20 players who did little.

Success is flags. Like I said, find some Dogs fans who think he was a bust.

For GWS sure. But they had dozens of top 20 players who did little.

Taking aim at one player should mean individual awards, team awards are when you take aim at a club.

This thread is pointing a gun at Andrew McGrath who appears to be on track to play the average games for a #1 draft pick (234.5). If he was to be a bust, it would be the average for an AFL player (30 games).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back