Recommitted Andrew McGrath [signed til 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Being a number 1 draft pick and be traded, obviously not worth his weight in gold.

Getting 200 club games out of your number 1 draft pick? that should be a win enough imho. Brownlows, b&f's is nice and all but isn't it success the sum of all parts?
Jack Newnes is about to play his 200th. Serviceable player but you want more than serviceable out of Pick 1 especially when you choose not to take the consensus pick.

He is a 24yr old who has shown little improvement from his first year 5 season ago.

Jack Newnes is about to play his 200th. Serviceable player but you want more than serviceable out of Pick 1 especially when you choose not to take the consensus pick.

He is a 24yr old who has shown little improvement from his first year 5 season ago.

This is all in the eyes of the beholder.

What's concerning is that people want to call him a fail imho, because
a) he plays for Essendon (most negative comments are echoing from Carlton supporters who are renowned for hating Essendon)
b) the person responsible for drafting Andy. Adrian Dodoro has his flaws and lives rent free inside many a person's head and just another reason why people want to call Andy a failure when he is far from it.
c) the players who followed. Sure Taranto is nice and McCluggage looks great when going, but let's be serious for a second, McGrath is no more a success or a bust than TT or HM. McGrath is vice captain, was selected in the 22under22 (captain maybe twice iirc) and has almost always been selected when fit.

I think this is clutching at straws by declaring McGarth a failure. Even if he won a Brownlow, people would still declare it a failure. That's just Bigfooty

a) he plays for Essendon (most negative comments are echoing from Carlton supporters who are renowned for hating Essendon)
b) the person responsible for drafting Andy. Adrian Dodoro has his flaws and lives rent free inside many a person's head and just another reason why people want to call Andy a failure when he is far from it.
c) the players who followed. Sure Taranto is nice and McCluggage looks great when going, but let's be serious for a second, McGrath is no more a success or a bust than TT or HM. McGrath is vice captain, was selected in the 22under22 (captain maybe twice iirc) and has almost always been selected when fit.

I think this is clutching at straws by declaring McGarth a failure. Even if he won a Brownlow, people would still declare it a failure. That's just Bigfooty
He isn't a failure as a footballer but as a number 1 pick he is. Jack Watts ended up having a decent career but he failed to live up to the number 1 pick expectations.

A - its your chip. Points are valid.
B - flaws - 6,500 flaws. McGrath is one. He was told draft night he made a mistake.
C - TT and McClug are much better.

McGrath won’t win a Brownlow.

He isn't a failure as a footballer but as a number 1 pick he is. Jack Watts ended up having a decent career but he failed to live up to the number 1 pick expectations.

Failing to live up to the hype as a number one pick is not even getting to 100 games.

Every article you read that rates failed #1 picks has no mention of Andy McGrath in there lists. Have three that don't rate him so again, it appears it is just BigFooty who want to hate on Andrew McGrath because, well, Essendon.

McGrath is having a much better career than Watts, Boyd, McCartin and other number one picks. The idea he’s a failure as a #1 pick is ridiculous.

McGrath is having a much better career than Watts, Boyd, McCartin and other number one picks. The idea he’s a failure as a #1 pick is ridiculous.
Tomy Boyd was instrumental in a premiership team and Paddy McCartin had his career to date killed by concussions. If thats all you've got as an argument as to why he isn't a failure of a #1 pick I suggest you go back to the well because yeah he's bad but he's not as bad as xyz is laughable

Failing to live up to the hype as a number one pick is not even getting to 100 games.

Every article you read that rates failed #1 picks has no mention of Andy McGrath in there lists. Have three that don't rate him so again, it appears it is just BigFooty who want to hate on Andrew McGrath because, well, Essendon.
No when you get the number 1 pick you're hoping for a generational talent that wins multiple best and fairest/AA teams and is in the top handful of players in the league. He isn't a 2nd round pick where 100 odd games is the expectations.

Again McGrath is not a bad player and is very solid, As a number 1 pick he is absolutely a failure as he would struggle to be in the top 5 players in a poor Essendon team let alone the comp and he's in his 5th year. He will forge out a career that most would love to acheive yes but when you get the #1 pick you are wanting a Hodge/Riewoldt type that takes you forward to success not a Isaac Smith/Liam Shiels type that are good players but are there to play a role

No when you get the number 1 pick you're hoping for a generational talent that wins multiple best and fairest/AA teams and is in the top handful of players in the league. He isn't a 2nd round pick where 100 odd games is the expectations.

Again McGrath is not a bad player and is very solid, As a number 1 pick he is absolutely a failure as he would struggle to be in the top 5 players in a poor Essendon team let alone the comp and he's in his 5th year. He will forge out a career that most would love to acheive yes but when you get the #1 pick you are wanting a Hodge/Riewoldt type that takes you forward to success not a Isaac Smith/Liam Shiels type that are good players but are there to play a role

I just want to preface this whole writing him off thing that Andrew McGrath has just turned 24.

I know people like to throw barbs left right and centre but when you look at the number one draft pick, how often is said pick the best player in the draft after hindsight? Very few..

Ants reminded everyone of the few who have finished who already have had inferiors careers to McGrath.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just want to preface this whole writing him off thing that Andrew McGrath has just turned 24.

I know people like to throw barbs left right and centre but when you look at the number one draft pick, how often is said pick the best player in the draft after hindsight? Very few..

Ants reminded everyone of the few who have finished who already have had inferiors careers to McGrath.
Sam Walsh is 21.

and? Sam Walsh is already a better player than Cam Rayner, Lachie Whitfield as well..

But hey, McGrath is at Essendon

Different drafts, no point comparing

Walsh was the best bust prof kid in some time, even though he may not be the best player from that draft inn years to come. But most draft watchers didn't have McGrath as the best option in his draft, moreso McCluggage or Tarranto

Walsh was the best bust prof kid in some time, even though he may not be the best player from that draft inn years to come. But most draft watchers didn't have McGrath as the best option in his draft, moreso McCluggage or Tarranto
I think in this thread someone linked an article that stated over half the head recruiters saying McGrath was their Number 1 choice.

Not sure id call watts' career decent. Probably had 2 short patches where he was AA standard. Rest of it was rather forgettable.
Good comparison given mcgrath came to an equally deplorable shitshow that watts did.

Hbf/wing seems to be his position in our current setup. Imagine we'll stick with it and he signs for 4 before the season is out

Making stuff up??
Nobody had Tarranto number 1. He was seen as a slight bolter at Number 2. All had either McGrath or McCluggage.

I normally share my thoughts before the draft and at the end of October I had Clug at 1, McGrath at 2. But as the draft came around, many had all 3 at similar levels
remind me a lot of 01
Hodge, Ball, Judd - all quality picks. Plus an enigmatic freak talent (Bolton/SJ) later in the draft

I was equal on them with Taranto slightly ahead as my preference. But then I mainly wanted the Taranto/Battle combination.
McGrath & Ridley could prove a better setup for us a rebounding defensive outlet....when we stick with McGrath as a HBF and Ridley as not playing KPD on opposition KPF monsters.

remind me a lot of 01
Hodge, Ball, Judd - all quality picks. Plus an enigmatic freak talent (Bolton/SJ) later in the draft

I was equal on them with Taranto slightly ahead as my preference. But then I mainly wanted the Taranto/Battle combination.
McGrath & Ridley could prove a better setup for us a rebounding defensive outlet....when we stick with McGrath as a HBF and Ridley as not playing KPD on opposition KPF monsters.

I think you get that in any draft, especially at the pointy end. I stated ad nauseam that while Walsh was the best bust proof kid I had seen in 2 decades, I believed that Smith would have more impact in a game (still believe that ) and even had Caldwell ahead of Walsh. These are long term projections

The bonus for us, we needed both types of midfielders

Remove this Banner Ad

Back