Recommitted Andrew McGrath [signed til 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you get that in any draft, especially at the pointy end. I stated ad nauseam that while Walsh was the best bust proof kid I had seen in 2 decades, I believed that Smith would have more impact in a game (still believe that ) and even had Caldwell ahead of Walsh. These are long term projections

The bonus for us, we needed both types of midfielders
interesting draft that one. I really (and I mean really!) liked Rankine from that draft. Still do.
If we'd had that pick, it would have been a tough call (for me anyway) on the 2.

For similar reasons, I hope we go Sheezel this year.
I think you need to balance drafting on just how good the talent is vs. need.

JUH a classic example. Did the dogs need another KPF with Bruce, Naughton, Darcy coming through the ranks? probably not.
But you don't pass up the opp.

interesting draft that one. I really (and I mean really!) liked Rankine from that draft. Still do.
If we'd had that pick, it would have been a tough call (for me anyway) on the 2.

For similar reasons, I hope we go Sheezel this year.
I think you need to balance drafting on just how good the talent is vs. need.

JUH a classic example. Did the dogs need another KPF with Bruce, Naughton, Darcy coming through the ranks? probably not.
But you don't pass up the opp.

I believe the best strategy is to draft "best available" and rarely does that mean 1 option as players are rated in groups, so at that point you could focus more specifically to needs, but never reach for a need if they aren't part of the initially higher ranked group of players.

I think Sheezel would be a great selection for any club, especially yours, but you also need to address a big bodied mid to work alongside Perkins doing stints in the middle

I believe the best strategy is to draft "best available" and rarely does that mean 1 option as players are rated in groups, so at that point you could focus more specifically to needs, but never reach for a need if they aren't part of the initially higher ranked group of players.

I think Sheezel would be a great selection for any club, especially yours, but you also need to address a big bodied mid to work alongside Perkins doing stints in the middle
we certainly have a list of needs
can't remember exact numbers but half the list is out of contract this season. Need to be picky with who we extend.

Keep your kids, even if the opinion is "he probably won't make it", as things can change quickly. Stop topping up on flankers for the moment
but flankers are our best players :p
Fairly sure our top 3 in the BnF will be Redman, Martin and Laverde.

Certainly not keen to lose McGrath. I think he plays an important role if we stick with it.
Shiel we won't get value on and he's really lifted recent weeks.
I doubt we trade either, but we could afford one of Merrett or Parish to go "for success" and look to net ourselves some draft capital. I don't think all 3 of Shiel, Merrett and Parish can play the same midfield....esp with Hobbs, Caldwell and Perkins in there too and McGrath joining it from HB.

but flankers are our best players :p
Fairly sure our top 3 in the BnF will be Redman, Martin and Laverde.

Certainly not keen to lose McGrath. I think he plays an important role if we stick with it.
Shiel we won't get value on and he's really lifted recent weeks.
I doubt we trade either, but we could afford one of Merrett or Parish to go "for success" and look to net ourselves some draft capital. I don't think all 3 of Shiel, Merrett and Parish can play the same midfield....esp with Hobbs, Caldwell and Perkins in there too and McGrath joining it from HB.

This might be unpopular among most Bomber supporters, but I would trade Parish and target more of what you really need.

For the rest of the year, I would only play 1 maybe 2 of Shiel, Merrett, Parish at centre bounces. It should be about looking at players that are the future, in every position, rather than wins

McGrath not living to the pick 1 reputations says more about Essendon development of players more than anything. Besides Merret & 2MP, everyone has taken a step backwards.

In saying that, yes Carlton don't do we well the developmental side of things e.g Sam Petriski Seton/ Dow/ Setterfield whom were high draft picks who are battling for senior selection with more than 5 years in the system.

McGrath value is pretty low atm, Essendon stand more to gain keeping him than trading for a mid-first rounder.

Will sign for four years.

His last game was his best in years. Played off the back flank and was very vocal and directing traffic. He was drafted for his leadership so let's play him where he leads.

Will sign for four years.

His last game was his best in years. Played off the back flank and was very vocal and directing traffic. He was drafted for his leadership so let's play him where he leads.
Bombers would do well to keep him there moving forward and not trying to turn him into a player he is not.

I think Richmond were very interested him but it seems he is staying & we have moved our intentions to Taranto.

1657840269835-png.1446981

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very surprised it's a 2 year deal!? he is 24 isn't that when you get your big contract? 24-25?

Very surprised it's a 2 year deal!? he is 24 isn't that when you get your big contract? 24-25?
2 years takes him to Free Agency and he can get his 4/5 year deal after that.

2 years takes him to Free Agency and he can get his 4/5 year deal after that.
I did think he wanted the bigger contract like Ridley got (Ridley is same draft contracted to 2026), but evidently they’ve settled for the short deal to free agency instead… which is fine. 🤷‍♀️ Possibly got injured and figured that was the best he was going to get for now.

I would have let him go as a F/A if I was Essendon, he was more valuable as a draft pick asset than on field player IMO
He becomes a FA in 2 years, and he really isn't. He's a very good player and is seen as either the next captain or the one after that.

I would have let him go as a F/A if I was Essendon, he was more valuable as a draft pick asset than on field player IMO
He could be one of the best small defenders in the league if he was left there
we would get pretty good value if he left as an unrestricted free agent

Tomy Boyd was instrumental in a premiership team and Paddy McCartin had his career to date killed by concussions. If thats all you've got as an argument as to why he isn't a failure of a #1 pick I suggest you go back to the well because yeah he's bad but he's not as bad as xyz is laughable
Using that logic Cooney, Gibbs and Murphy were failures as they didn’t win a flag.

McGrath is a quality player. In 2020 and 2021 when playing midfield before his injuries he was averaging around 26 disposals, 5 tackles and 5 clearances a game. That puts him top 36 in the league for clearances - ie he walks into any side he wants. In his 4th and 5th years. In 2020 excluding his injury game he was to 15 in the league in disposals, clearances and tackles.

If you don’t rate him, fine. But this discussion becomes pretty pointless then, and we’d just need to agree to disagree.
Bombers would do well to keep him there moving forward and not trying to turn him into a player he is not.
He absolutely can midfield, as shown by the stats above.
I think Richmond were very interested him but it seems he is staying & we have moved our intentions to Taranto.
He would have made a very good Prestia replacement.

Last edited:
Using that logic Cooney, Gibbs and Murphy were failures as they didn’t win a flag.

McGrath is a quality player. In 2020 and 2021 when playing midfield before his injuries he was averaging around 26 disposals, 5 tackles and 5 clearances a game. That puts him top 36 in the league for clearances - ie he walks into any side he wants. In his 4th and 5th years. In 2020 excluding his injury game he was to 15 in the league in disposals, clearances and tackles.

If you don’t rate him, fine. But this discussion becomes pretty pointless then, and we’d just need to agree to disagree.
Cooney won a brownlow and was an AA, Murphy won 2 B&Fs and and AA team and Gibbs was also a meh player but also won a B&F. I do rate him as a solid AFL footballer but if you're a pick 1 you are wanting a bit more then that.

Cooney won a brownlow and was an AA, Murphy won 2 B&Fs and and AA team and Gibbs was also a meh player but also won a B&F. I do rate him as a solid AFL footballer but if you're a pick 1 you are wanting a bit more then that.
You flip flop. Boyd is a success because the team did well, but others due to personal success....

You flip flop. Boyd is a success because the team did well, but others due to personal success....
Boyd's team did well because he played two fantastic finals and was instrumental in his team winning the flag (was robbed of a Norm Smith medal) and was entering his prime when he retired, the other 3 had their full careers and achieved more individual success how is that a flip flop?

Boyd's team did well because he played two fantastic finals and was instrumental in his team winning the flag (was robbed of a Norm Smith medal) and was entering his prime when he retired, the other 3 had their full careers and achieved more individual success how is that a flip flop?
By that definition, anyone who has an outstanding single final series (including the Grand Final) would by definition be a successful #1 pick. Which is a ridiculous assertion.

By that definition, anyone who has an outstanding single final series (including the Grand Final) would by definition be a successful #1 pick. Which is a ridiculous assertion.
How is it a ridiculous assertion? The aim of the game is to win premierships if the player is instrumental in his team doing so how does that not make them worthy of the pick? McGrath is a vanilla role player nothing wrong with that but you can't honestly say with a straight facw you would not prefer a genuine match winner like McCluggage over him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back