Andrew McGrath v Hugh McCluggage

Andrew McGrath v Hugh McCluggage

• Andrew McGrath

Votes: 80 32.7%
  • Hugh McCluggage

Votes: 165 67.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not close and the gap will continue to widen. Spending a number #1 pick on an undersized flanker/bit part midfielder was always going to be a bad choice. McGrath is Tom Scully right down to play style, build and similar numbers.

McCluggage is much more damaging.
That bit part midfielder is currently averaging

Top 15 for Stoppage Clearances
Top 25 for Total clearances
Top 10 for tackles
Top 30 for disposals

Also his first year playing at stoppages aswell.

That bit part midfielder is currently averaging

Top 15 for Stoppage Clearances
Top 25 for Total clearances
Top 10 for tackles
Top 30 for disposals

Also his first year playing at stoppages aswell.

It's funny how some people find it hard to say they're both good players. *Shrugs*

It's not close and the gap will continue to widen. Spending a number #1 pick on an undersized flanker/bit part midfielder was always going to be a bad choice. McGrath is Tom Scully right down to play style, build and similar numbers.

McCluggage is much more damaging as a big midfielder who can kick goals.

I prefer McCluggage but McGrath is nothing like Scully and is excellent on the inside with his athleticism and hardness.

I prefer McCluggage but McGrath is nothing like Scully and is excellent on the inside with his athleticism and hardness.
One area they share is workrate I reckon, Andy seems to pop up everywhere, spoiling in defence, hitting targets inside 50 (Shaun McKernan dropping chest marks isn’t McGrath’s fault) but yes, horrible comparison for any year of McGrath’s career, especially 2020

McCluggage is much more damaging as a big midfielder who can kick goals.
No dramas if you don't rate him but his play style is so far from Scully, it'd take some doing to find a worse comparison amongst midfielders. His athleticism & fitness, sure, but that's it.

Until this last 5 games I've thought he was slightly disappointing for a number 1 pick - a solid 200 gamer which is fine when compared with other #1 picks going back 25 years but you still hope for more than that. He's slowly turning me, he's been really impressive so far this year as well as in the final vs West Coast last year where we were embarrassed, he was great. I now am starting to believe he'll make it to that B&F winner/potential All Australian level player if he continues on an upward trajectory. Player development is not linear and doesn't always happen at the same rate, some take longer than others.

Having said that I'm not comfortable comparing him to McCluggage at the moment or maybe ever.

One plays forward of centre and the other backwards of centre, one plays more outside and the other more inside.

Both doing well this year and with this current season I'm very happy with McGrath, the last thing Essendon needed was another outside player.

One plays forward of centre and the other backwards of centre, one plays more outside and the other more inside.

Both doing well this year and with this current season I'm very happy with McGrath, the last thing Essendon needed was another outside player.

Is this a debate though of who is the best fit for either club or is it a debate on which player is better now and by projection is set to be the better player?

McCluggage has very good contested possession numbers for an "outside player". McCluggage is currently playing more of a wing role in our system but he is more than capable of winning his own ball and playing in the centre square and he has shown that at senior level too.

Yep labeling McCluggage as an outside player is way off the mark. Can play center and has many times but he's more valuable as a winger

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McGrath is very good. I just think the Clugg is the more damaging player.
Depends on what you value more. McCluggage certainly hits the scoreboard more often (obviously because of the position he plays) and is cleaner with his disposals for the most part, but McGrath is very important for us defensively and on the inside. To summarise it, McGrath is better on the inside and McCluggage is more damaging inside 50.

I'd say McGrath has been the better player this year (with a little bias) only because of the central role he plays in the middle for us. I feel like McCluggage has lost a bit of his polish this year. He had an excellent year last year though so he has a lot of credit in the bank. Both are gun players.

Depends on what you value more. McCluggage certainly hits the scoreboard more often (obviously because of the position he plays) and is cleaner with his disposals for the most part, but McGrath is very important for us defensively and on the inside. To summarise it, McGrath is better on the inside and McCluggage is more damaging inside 50.

I'd say McGrath has been the better player this year (with a little bias) only because of the central role he plays in the middle for us. I feel like McCluggage has lost a bit of his polish this year. He had an excellent year last year though so he has a lot of credit in the bank. Both are gun players.
McCluggage has still been very polished this year imo

Hmm. I like McGrath his speed and defensive work around stoppages is excellent but atm Cluggs skill set is just harder find and more damaging.

McGrath has a clear path to becoming the better player though. If he can start using his pace offensively and tidy up his kicking he’ll be a very very good midfielder.

Hmm. I like McGrath his speed and defensive work around stoppages is excellent but atm Cluggs skill set is just harder find and more damaging.

McGrath has a clear path to becoming the better player though. If he can start using his pace offensively and tidy up his kicking he’ll be a very very good midfielder.
Yep we can agree on that.

He has, but he was extremely freak-like polished last year.
I disagree, I actually think McCluggage has been more creative ball in hand this year than last year. This is supported by the fact he is second in the league for goal assists. He's also 7th in the league for score involvements.

He is getting the ball a little less and not kicking as many goals (he's getting the same number of shots per game as last year, just kicking lots a behinds currently).

I do think McGrath is playing well (he's stepped up a level this year IMO), he is a good player. But I, would argue McCluggage still has him covered this year performance wise.

I disagree, I actually think McCluggage has been more creative ball in hand this year than last year. This is supported by the fact he is second in the league for goal assists. He's also 7th in the league for score involvements.

He is getting the ball a little less and not kicking as many goals (he's getting the same number of shots per game as last year, just kicking lots a behinds currently).

I do think McGrath is playing well (he's stepped up a level this year IMO), he is a good player. But I, would argue McCluggage still has him covered this year performance wise.

Part of that is a mix of increased workload (read: shorter turnaround) and managing his TOG. Smart player management ensuring guys like Hugh and Berry don't have their bodies breaking down at a young age.

Both very good players that should end up 250-300 gamers. Gun to my head, I'd say McCluggage will end up with a more decorated and lauded career. Would prefer McCluggage at this point as we need outside class and polish around goals. Andy seems to be playing his best as an inside mid right now, which we have pretty well covered...although I'd still have him on a HBF in our side in a heartbeat.

Back