Recommitted Andrew McGrath [signed til 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Andy McGrath is worth more to Essendon fans than other clubs would be willing to pay. They understand his value. He's clearly got leadership about him and without sounding disrespectful to the Dons, that's not an area they're over flowing with.

Is Carlton prepared to offer a top ten pick for a half back flank again?

Is Carlton even going to have a top ten pick to offer for a half back flank again? 🤔

Not this year, given we are playing finals.

Wouldn't be interested in really trading for him anyway, given his unreliable his field kicking is.

Ironically he does seem to be a fairly handy good kick at goal, I wonder how he would go if he played as a half forward flanker for a while ?

No chance in hell. Only way is if asks to be traded.
I would, but no club would offer it. Also Dodoro wouldn’t due to being so full of pride. But across half back is real quality, so Essendon need to stop trying to turn him into something he isn't.

Last edited:
Yes as per Tom Browne Essendon 'superstar' Andy McGrath has put off contract talks.
To be fair to Tom that is still one of the least ridiculous things he has ever said, step in the right direction for him.

Absolutely he is worth a first and a second.

People here drastically overate the value of draft picks relative to proven performance.

You're seriously telling me that taking a punt on pick 10 in the draft is equally to a 23-year-old midfielder who is the current vice captain/future captain, has 95 games development and is coming into his prime?

Apart from Harry McKay, who of the available talent of the previous 8 drafts would you take ahead of McGrath given where his career is at? Not to mention you would have to put in 5 years development to get him to the same point McGrath is at now.

2013: Nathan Freeman
2014: Nakia Cockatoo
2015: Harry Mackay
2016: Jack Bowes
2017: Lochie O'Brien
2018: Nick Blakey (matched bid) - 11: Jye Caldwell
2019: Tom Green (matched bid) - 11: Sam Flanders
2020: Zach Reid
I'd take Blakey, McKay and Green above him. For sure

He didn't call him a superstar did he?
He did, but its not just him, everyone involved in TV/radio loves a bit of hyperbole. There are probably 4-5 genuine superstars of the league, then you have your stars. McGrath ain't either, solid player who'll play 250 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say the contract talk delay would be more related to captaincy than exploring elsewhere with the current speculation around Heppells future

Why? Docherty, Saad, stocker, et al at HB, similarly Cripps, Hewett, cerra, Walsh, Kennedy, Dow + about 6 more in the midfield.

He's not a bad player, just not a need for Carlton imo. Trade for an established KPD if anything.

i wasnt meaning us specifically. More that id still value him around pick 10. Obviously it would be silly if we did that given our plethera of mids we have

i wasnt meaning us specifically. More that id still value him around pick 10. Obviously it would be silly if we did that given our plethera of mids we have
How did you come to that conclusion? What has he done in his career to justify it? He is into his 5th season and hasn't lockdown a spot in the team and is moved around to make him relevant. He has no X-Factor attributes that add extra value he isn't a quick half back, he hasn't got an exceptional kick for a wing, he doesn't rack up the pill and isn't a big bodied strong mid. The only reason you are saying top 10 pick is because he was a #1 but in reality he has done nothing in his career since his rising star (which is a very hit and miss award) he is a 2nd rounder from 25-35 and that's if there is a market for him.

Not sure why we havent embraced either of these roles.
His job on tracc was good. Give him that role every week.

Dont see him leaving. Reckon he wants a decent contract but isnt in the form to ask for it
In a s**t position for a former number 1 pick if he is OOC

Kind of jack of all trades master of none type. Is the VC in a team that is seen to lack leadership too which doesn't help

Remove this Banner Ad

Back